Total newbie just looking for a point in the right direction...

asiagurrl

Jun 21, 2006
I'm a total newbie.

The bike would be used for:

- Riding along a flat biking path (dirt/small stones) for recreation/exercise.
- Possibly for a sprint triatholon (not to race, just to finish, so I don't need anything super technical).
- Possibly along the road for recreation/exercise.

Is there a bike out there that would fit my needs? Honestly, I know nothing about this. I guess I just want to know what "style" of bike I need. I know there are "road bikes" and "mountain bikes," and I'm assuming neither of those are right for me. Is there a "style" that is?

Thanks so much for any advice/guidance!

You might consider something in the hybrid category. I ride a Sirrus made by Specialized, but there are lots of others to try like Cannondale, Fuji, Trek, etc. Just head to the local bike shop and tell them what your needs are and then try out as many as you can.

asiagurrl said:
I'm a total newbie.

The bike would be used for:

- Riding along a flat biking path (dirt/small stones) for recreation/exercise.
- Possibly for a sprint triatholon (not to race, just to finish, so I don't need anything super technical).
- Possibly along the road for recreation/exercise.

Is there a bike out there that would fit my needs? Honestly, I know nothing about this. I guess I just want to know what "style" of bike I need. I know there are "road bikes" and "mountain bikes," and I'm assuming neither of those are right for me. Is there a "style" that is?

Thanks so much for any advice/guidance!
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I'm also new to biking.
I've seen two bikes that I want check out. The Trek 7.2 FX and the Trek 7000.

The 7.2 FX seems more like a road bike though, from the pictures in the Trek catalogue. I'm leaning towards the 7000 because it looks more useful on dirt trails, but I'm not sure how basic the bike is so I have to check it out in the shop.

Could you post back and let us know what bikes you're looking or what you end up purchasing?

Oh yeah, I went to the Sport Authority and was looking at a Mongoose and a Daimond Back and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on those bikes. Thanks!