Total Newbie looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Red Snapper, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Red Snapper

    Red Snapper Guest

    I'm 34 years old woman who's 30 pounds overweight and I'm training for my first Sprint Triathlon in
    mid August (2 weeks before will also do a try-a-tri). I've been swimming with a masters team for a
    year now and will continue, so I feel the swim is no problem (slow but no problem). By the way most
    everyone on my swim team are triathletes. I'm not overly worried about the bike. My serious concern
    is running. I've never run before, except for 1 year ago resulting in a stress fracture of the ankle
    - after 6 weeks - the result of improperly fitted shoes. I'm starting very slow, starting at run 1
    min/walk 2 min, increasing the run by 30 sec a week. I'm now in week 5 and am at 2.5 min run/2 min
    walk (feeling pretty good). After running I go on a spin bike for 15 minutes and do 20+ push ups and
    150+ crunches. The people who are training with me (all beginners) also are at the same level. By
    August if I continue this very slow pace I should be around run 13
    min/walk 2 min. I don't feel any great need to go fast I just want to finish (and not get another
    injury). When we are all together we run on an inside track at the university. When alone I run
    on a treadmill at our local University gym . Is running on a treadmill terrible? When alone I
    find running on the track really hard (very unmotivated). I swim 3 - 4 times a week and I run 4
    times a week.

    I really want to do my triathlon, I'm very motivated and I'm enjoying every step of the way.

    1st - what do you guys think about treadmills? 2nd - am I insane thinking about doing this sprint? (
    I plan on doing a run/walk technique - obviously) 3rd - any and all tips are greatly appreciated

    Thanks so much in advance, Tracy

    Tags:

  2. Jojo

    Jojo Guest

    > 1st - what do you guys think about treadmills? 2nd - am I insane thinking about doing this sprint?
    > ( I plan on doing a run/walk technique - obviously) 3rd - any and all tips are greatly appreciated
    >

    > Thanks so much in advance, Tracy

    1st: at this stage of the game, track and treadmill are fine. You really need to consider adding
    road and or trail running. Your body will need to get used to the irregularities of road and trail.
    You will find it much more pleasurable as well. 2nd: not at all. The run is the easiest part to take
    at your own pace. Yes, it's ok to walk, you can walk the whole thing if you need to, but you will
    probably find that your ability will increase exponentially, and your be able to run a 5K (slowly)
    without much walking at all by august. 3rd: I'm no expert, but I did help to train 3 complete
    newbies for last years Danskin. Feel to email me personally if you have any questions, or need any
    advice on training, transitions, bricks ect. Good Luck,

    jojo

    remove the *SPAM* to reply to me personally!

  3. red snapper <[email protected]> wrote:
    >never run before, except for 1 year ago resulting in a stress fracture of the ankle - after 6 weeks
    >- the result of improperly fitted shoes. I'm starting very slow, starting at run 1 min/walk 2 min,
    >increasing the run by 30 sec a week. I'm now in week 5 and am at 2.5 min run/2 min walk (feeling
    >pretty good). After running I go on a spin bike for

    >August if I continue this very slow pace I should be around run 13
    >min/walk 2 min. I don't feel any great need to go fast I just want to finish (and not get another
    > injury). When we are all together we run

    Using the run walk method, I don't think you need to go beyond 8 minutes of running at a time, maybe
    5/2 is good enough to have speed but then give your legs a break. 13 seems a bit long for one cycle.
    I've done longer road races (half marathons) where I've done a walk cycle at every 3 mile water
    station, but by the end that seemed insufficient. 8/1 probably would have been better for me.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  4. Red Snapper

    Red Snapper Guest

    MJuric wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Is it an open water swim? Mass start? If so be prepared to be "buffeted" about. When I did
    > my first one this was probably my biggest issue. It's a little bit disconcerting getting
    > scratched, slapped and having your goggles wacked off. Just try to stay away from some of
    > the larger groups and try not to get to "panicky" when getting abused. If you can, see if
    > you can practice with some of the tri folks in the masters class, maybe 3, 4 all swimming in
    > the same lane same direction and practice passing (getting passed) close to others etc.
    >
    > ~Matt

    I was lucky enough to have done a 2 mile open water race last summer and had no problem (except
    being hit by a canoe twice and of course the fish in my suit). I will be doing the same race this
    year in July again so I'll be well prepped. My strategy there was going to the beach and
    practicing open water swimming w/ tips learned in this NG. The day of that race I held back for 10
    -15 sec after everyone else took off. This made it so I never had to fight anyone for space. I was
    well warned.

    Thanks so much.

    I'm really excited that you all (Jason and JoJo too)wrote back with such positive responses. Again
    Thank you. You might see more postings from me in the next few months with either updates or
    questions.

    Tracy

  5. Wrong again. Run means run, not walk.

    news:<[email protected]>...