Total newbie needs some build advice!



bearinburbs

New Member
Oct 11, 2005
2
0
0
Hey!

I have been lurking for awhile now...loving the pics and ideas everyone is coming up with.

I have wanted to get back into bicycling...after a looooong time away. A friend at work has started riding a singlespeed(Redline Monocog), and after taking a few trips around the block, I want one,too!

Now, here's where it gets tricky, so I'm just gonna lay it out for ya, and hope for the best!

From what I've been reading, I am a total Clydesdale...6'1", about 275lb or so. I'm also a real newbie to singlespeed. Here's where I am so far.

My neighbor across the street has a few bikes he's parting with...among them an old Schwinn Suburban(24" frame,5 speed), a Raleigh M-20(22"frame, 21 speed), and a Nishiki road bike(24"frame,12 speed). They are all in good to great shape, my size frames, and best of all...FREE!!!!! He's waiting for me to clear some space in my garage, then they're mine. I've ridden them all, and will be taking them this week. They are great to ride as is, but I want to convert at least one of them to singlespeed. Which is the best candidate for it?? I really don't want to chop them all up...I'd like to use one bike.

Also, I really need to do this as cheaply as possible...without sacrificing safety,of course. I can spend about $100-125.00 on a conversion. I am not the most handy person in the world(when it comes to bikes), so I may have a LBS help me out. I figure this might be the best way to go and if I fall in love with it, I can splurge and buy my dream bike.

I am starting a new fitness and diet regimen, and this is the little boost I need to get me going. I've been wanting to get back into biking for a long time, and this is the perfect opportunity to do it...I just need some help getting there.

Any help you guys can give would be HUGE...
 

nun

New Member
Sep 10, 2004
102
0
0
bearinburbs said:
Hey!

I have been lurking for awhile now...loving the pics and ideas everyone is coming up with.

I have wanted to get back into bicycling...after a looooong time away. A friend at work has started riding a singlespeed(Redline Monocog), and after taking a few trips around the block, I want one,too!

Now, here's where it gets tricky, so I'm just gonna lay it out for ya, and hope for the best!

From what I've been reading, I am a total Clydesdale...6'1", about 275lb or so. I'm also a real newbie to singlespeed. Here's where I am so far.

My neighbor across the street has a few bikes he's parting with...among them an old Schwinn Suburban(24" frame,5 speed), a Raleigh M-20(22"frame, 21 speed), and a Nishiki road bike(24"frame,12 speed). They are all in good to great shape, my size frames, and best of all...FREE!!!!! He's waiting for me to clear some space in my garage, then they're mine. I've ridden them all, and will be taking them this week. They are great to ride as is, but I want to convert at least one of them to singlespeed. Which is the best candidate for it?? I really don't want to chop them all up...I'd like to use one bike.

Also, I really need to do this as cheaply as possible...without sacrificing safety,of course. I can spend about $100-125.00 on a conversion. I am not the most handy person in the world(when it comes to bikes), so I may have a LBS help me out. I figure this might be the best way to go and if I fall in love with it, I can splurge and buy my dream bike.

I am starting a new fitness and diet regimen, and this is the little boost I need to get me going. I've been wanting to get back into biking for a long time, and this is the perfect opportunity to do it...I just need some help getting there.

Any help you guys can give would be HUGE...
Go to

http://sheldonbrown.com/deakins/how-to-fixed-conversion.html

http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

I think the easiest way to go single speed would be with the Schwinn. It would look really nice too. You don't have to do do anyting to the front chainring/crank and after setting the bike in your chosen gear you could just remove the gear change mechanism leaving the sprockets etc. untouched.

Alternatively you could remove the unused sprockets and derailleur and install some spacers in place of the sprockets and adjust the chain to the correct length. I bet you could get this done by a bike shop for you budget as it would probably only take a couple of hours and you only have to buy a few spacers
 

t_mao20

New Member
Oct 6, 2005
6
0
0
bearinburbs said:
Hey!

I have been lurking for awhile now...loving the pics and ideas everyone is coming up with.

I have wanted to get back into bicycling...after a looooong time away. A friend at work has started riding a singlespeed(Redline Monocog), and after taking a few trips around the block, I want one,too!

Now, here's where it gets tricky, so I'm just gonna lay it out for ya, and hope for the best!

From what I've been reading, I am a total Clydesdale...6'1", about 275lb or so. I'm also a real newbie to singlespeed. Here's where I am so far.

My neighbor across the street has a few bikes he's parting with...among them an old Schwinn Suburban(24" frame,5 speed), a Raleigh M-20(22"frame, 21 speed), and a Nishiki road bike(24"frame,12 speed). They are all in good to great shape, my size frames, and best of all...FREE!!!!! He's waiting for me to clear some space in my garage, then they're mine. I've ridden them all, and will be taking them this week. They are great to ride as is, but I want to convert at least one of them to singlespeed. Which is the best candidate for it?? I really don't want to chop them all up...I'd like to use one bike.

Also, I really need to do this as cheaply as possible...without sacrificing safety,of course. I can spend about $100-125.00 on a conversion. I am not the most handy person in the world(when it comes to bikes), so I may have a LBS help me out. I figure this might be the best way to go and if I fall in love with it, I can splurge and buy my dream bike.

I am starting a new fitness and diet regimen, and this is the little boost I need to get me going. I've been wanting to get back into biking for a long time, and this is the perfect opportunity to do it...I just need some help getting there.

Any help you guys can give would be HUGE...
Well...if you're not too picky about frame age and so forth then you should start with an old vintage Road frame. I am currently building a single speed using a very old English Marfield frame ... so far with the cost of supplies; paint, chain, single speed freewheel, supplies, all comes out under $100 easy. You would have to put some work into a build up from scratch. It's also a lot easier building a single speed becuase all you have adjust is the rear chain with the cranks. Like I said it's up to you want you want to do, I'd go with an old frame that you can find at a garage sale and strip it down. My brother actually has a vintage Japanese Raod frame that is 61cm wich is right for a tall person. If by any chance you're local to the SF Bay Area and interested let me know....he's looking to sell it for a goo price. I'll post some pictures of my bike when it's complete.
 

bearinburbs

New Member
Oct 11, 2005
2
0
0
Well, I decided to build up the old Schwinn...it's in great shape, good and strong steel frame, and it just looks fun! I took the bike apart over the last couple of days whenever I could get a free moment, and the frame is going to get dropped off for powder coating next week. Then the re-build starts. I am in the Chicago burbs...and I'll be heading over to Working Bikes over the weekend to see what kind of parts I can find!

Franken-bike...here I come!:D
 

t_mao20

New Member
Oct 6, 2005
6
0
0
bearinburbs said:
Well, I decided to build up the old Schwinn...it's in great shape, good and strong steel frame, and it just looks fun! I took the bike apart over the last couple of days whenever I could get a free moment, and the frame is going to get dropped off for powder coating next week. Then the re-build starts. I am in the Chicago burbs...and I'll be heading over to Working Bikes over the weekend to see what kind of parts I can find!

Franken-bike...here I come!:D
Great! Post some pics when you're complete....I've finished with mine but my camear is not currently working right now....pics will be up soon. Look forward to seeing your build up.
 

t_mao20

New Member
Oct 6, 2005
6
0
0
t_mao20 said:
Great! Post some pics when you're complete....I've finished with mine but my camear is not currently working right now....pics will be up soon. Look forward to seeing your build up.

OK...got the camera to work...here's the pics I said I'll post. This is an old Late 50's English frame ....I love the way the cranks look and design of the lines. Looks great after the paint job. Tell me what you think. Oh the Wheels are 700 23c FiR EL25 With Campy's Hubs and Specialized Tires. ... Good luck on your project.
 

huhenio

New Member
Jul 19, 2005
532
1
0
51
The cheapest would probably convert it to fixed gear.

I did that with my Schwinn Traveler and it is working great for me.

Leave the brakes on. Remove all shifting mechs. Remove rear cog (not rocket science). Get a 20t cog to start. Shorten chain. Presto.
You have an umbreakable bike ...