Total Noob looking for some general advice

r2pgh

Jul 10, 2012
Hi all. I'm new to cycling and looking for advice. I have inherited a mid 80's 54cm Bridgestone Aries bike which I'd like to get in riding condition. I figure this is a good place to start (rather than buy a new bike) and then upgrade to the bike I want down the road. I have an initial budget of about $400 for parts, tuneup, etc. There are some parts missing - most notably the wheels & chain. The brakes seem fairly new - the rear brakes are connected, but the front brakes have no cable. So here are my questions:

Is this worth the effort or should I apply my $400 to a better used bike thats already in riding condition?

I need wheels/tires. Are these a standard size? Whats a good wheelset to start with?

Is it best to just take it to a bike shop as is and have them do/supply everything or should I do what i can first and then take it in?

Thanks.

Take the $400 and apply it to a good modern used bike or an entry level new bike. Bridgestone made good bikes in the 1980's but they are obsolete with 6 speed gears and down tube shifters. Also, the shifters may not be indexed which means you have to play around a bit to find the right gear. I have an 80's steel frame w/Suntour components hanging in my garage which I intend on restoring but will never be my main ride. Most importantly, make sure the frame fits. BTW, I just found a new Diamondback Podium 1 road bike on the internet for $450. Look around and you will find bikes in your price range.