Total noob wanting to commute 20 mi. on something cheap and vintage...what's good enough?

MeatMachine

May 23, 2011
Here's the deal - I like to do things cheap and I like vintage stuff. I need to get to work (about 22 mi.) in a reasonable amount of time by bike (low traffic country backroads, mostly flat) so I'm thinking if I go with something that was awesome and expensive a long time ago it should still be good (and cheap) enough for a total newbie to get there in maybe an hour and a half or less. I'm in good shape and young, I rock climb, run, lift, etc. and just want to start riding to work a couple times a week.

So far I've seen a 1974 Schwinn Sprint ($200 - seems pricey, but it's mint and looks sweet) and a 1973 Schwinn Continental ($60) - are these good enough to meet my needs for the time being or are there better models I can buy cheap and put a couple hundred miles a week on? I wonder if a fixed gear bike would be enough if the terrain's pretty much flat the whole way? Also, what are some priority upgrades to put on my radar once I understand cycling better? Thanks all!!!

-Meat

Either bike sounds OK. $200 is not much if the bike is good condition. Have the bike looked over by your local bike shop. You don't want to start this and break down.

Have you factored the time needed to ride 22 mile to work? You will be able to probably average maybe 15 mph, not counting time for red lights etc.

Remember that wear and tear will take it's toll on components even on a new bike. On a vintage bike expect to do some upgrades. Derailers, hubs, sprocket sets and especially tires will need to be replaced after some time. Before you buy anything ride it first and ask yourself if you can spend X amount of hours each day riding it. Tires on a used bike is the first suspect especially if it's been stored outside. Check for dry rot. Bottom line is you get what you pay for and you may be buying someone else headache.

Great advice! Yep, I figure I can average 15-20 mph. It'll be almost entirely stop-free riding in the middle of the country so I'm hoping I can get reasonable speeds as I don't want to severely impede my potential by buying something so old! I am mostly just making sure that these old things can keep up and not fall apart (accounting for normal wear and tear, upkeep, etc.).

First and foremost, find out what size bike fits you. There are a bunch of good Web based fit calculators on the Internet. My favorite is the one in this link: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO There are many others that can be found with a little searching.

Make sure that you only look at bikes that are within a couple inches of the proper size bike for you. A poorly fitted bike will making riding a painful experience and can hurt you in certain cases. The proper way to measure the bike's primary size is by measuring it from the center point of the pedal axle to the top of the seat tube where it clamps on to the seat post.

I really suggest that you look for a bike from the mid to late 1980's or even the 1990's. The main reason for this is that this was the period of the biggest bicycle boom in history. There are a lot of good bikes still available from this period. Most of them used common components that for the most part are still available. Prior to the mid 1980's, there were a lot of bikes that had proprietary odd sized parts and non-standard threading on their components. It is especially difficult to source replacement parts for older French bikes and older Raleighs because of the non-standard parts that they used. Bikes that were produced after 1985 are fairly standard, and although you might have to go to eBay to find them, there are a lot of parts still available for them.

For a 20 mile commute, you will want a lighter bicycle. I suggest that you look for a bike that is made of chrome molybdenum steel or aluminum. Chrome moly is lighter than carbon steel and is a comfortable ride. Aluminum is lighter but does not flex much which results in a harsher ride. Stay away from high tensile steel which is sometimes called Hi-Ten steel. These are what the less expensive, lower quality bikes are made of.

Moto 700 made some good points. Expect to have to put an extra $200 into the bike once you get it. This will cover the tune up, descent tires, and pretty much any normal replacement parts that you might need like a chain, freewheel or cassette, and possibly chainrings. $200 would be a worst case scenario to get the bike road worthy.

Things that you will probably want to change are the seat and pedals. If the seat is comfortable for you, then by all means use it. But chances are that it will not be the right seat for you. Most bike shops have a program where you can try out saddles until you find one that works for you. Check with your bike shop about their program. Eventually you will probably want to get a pair of clipless pedals and you will need a pair of cycling shoes to go with them. Once again, this is an area where you should consult with your bike shop.

In spite of what Look 566 Rider has said and if you are really a noob, don't expect to jump on your bike and be riding 15 - 20 mph. From my observations, it appears that most new riders start out at around 10 - 12 mph for about the first 6 months to a year, until the muscles that are used for riding have developed and become coordinated working together.After this, speed begins to increase.

If you are going to buy a used bike for 200 and put another 200 into it you are better off buying new. Use the bike fit caculator that KD posted to find the correct size bike for you. You can then search on line at sites like Bikesdirect and get a new bike with up to date components delivered to your door.

IMO vintage used bikes are good for someone who already owns a reliable bike and is looking for a winter restoration project. Nothing wrong with trying to save a buck but it has been my experience in life that when we take the cheap way out it cost more in the end.

Sweet! Thanks kdelong for the info on what years to look for! Massive help. It may end up that something new is cheaper. That's fine. I just want to get educated on my options first. But in addition to being cheap I also LIKE the vintage bikes (no hipster), which is why I'm interested in them specfically. Awesome advice, thanks so much everyone for helping me out here. This was exactly what I had hoped to learn.

Originally Posted by MeatMachine .

Sweet! Thanks kdelong for the info on what years to look for! Massive help. It may end up that something new is cheaper. That's fine. I just want to get educated on my options first. But in addition to being cheap I also LIKE the vintage bikes (no hipster), which is why I'm interested in them specfically. Awesome advice, thanks so much everyone for helping me out here. This was exactly what I had hoped to learn.
If you're that into vintage bikes that's very cool, but if it's possible for you why not consider 2 bikes? A good grade commuter and a vintage to rebuild and use as a weekend cruiser. Just a suggestion.

Rain. Sweat.

Biking can become uncomfortable. Being around a smelly bicyclist all day can be unpleasant. But I did bicycle 14 miles each way for several years. Work had showers.

Get a bicycle. Ride around and see what sort of condition you are in. See how your desires align with reality.

44 miles a day is a bit much for a guy new to biking.

---

Tires and tubes are items you need to replace from time to time. Tubes tend to have unexpected failures. Need to carry spare tubes and a pump.

Friction shifters tend to need less adjustment and care.

---

For flat land 20 pounds is a reasonable weight. My bikes weigh about that.

One option might be to start off with something relatively inexpensive. Then, for a couple months, save up what you would have otherwise spent on gas and maintenance for a vehicle. That will more than cover a suitable new bike.

I wish I could commute on a bicycle, but being a contractor, it's just not at all practical.