Totally OT: Bruce Hornsby?

Peewiglet

Guest
Just wondering whether anyone here has come across Bruce Hornsby? I
heard "Lost in the Snow" on the radio when stuck in a traffic jam
between Borrowdale and Keswick in July, and just loved it. In fact, I
loved it so much that I bought the album ( ;-) and it's pretty
excellent, particularly "Hooray for Tom" and "Heir Gordon". Anyone
else?

I find it's a great album to walk to. <koff koff...>

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:50:46 +0000, Peewiglet wrote:

>Just wondering whether anyone here has come across Bruce Hornsby?

You only just heard of him? He was all the rage with The Range a few
years back.

>I find it's a great album to walk to. <koff koff...>

I prefer to walk to the natural symphony. Lying in my pit in the tent
is another matter...

Peewiglet wrote
> Just wondering whether anyone here has come across Bruce Hornsby? I
> I find it's a great album to walk to. <koff koff...>

Would he be the same Bruce Hornsby that used to be appear under the moniker
BH 'and the range'? Heard of him if so, but nothing's stuck in my mind.

Just been looking round your website too, wee pig, and there's lots of
interest there. I'll stick with one thing for now, since we're on music.
If you like Tom Waits' Rain Dogs and Nighthawks, you might want to have a
look at (or better, listen to) Blue Valentine. As different from the other
two as they are from each other, it's my favourite of his considerable
output. And it's absolutely no good for walking to, but this isn't
necessarily a Bad Thing.

And it was in a cafe in Keswick many years ago when I first heard John
Martyn's Solid Air, which has become another of my much-played favourites.
There's a musical discovery for everyone somewhere in the Lake District...

T.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:19:35 +0000, Phil Cook
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>>Just wondering whether anyone here has come across Bruce Hornsby?

>You only just heard of him? He was all the rage with The Range a few
>years back.

I'm hopeless! I'd not heard of him at all, but a pal of mine at home
did tell me (when I first started ranting on) that he'd been part of
The Range (I'd never heard of them either...)

Anyway, it really is great stuff. I forgot to mention that the album
is called "Halcyon Days".

>>I find it's a great album to walk to. <koff koff...>

>I prefer to walk to the natural symphony. Lying in my pit in the tent
>is another matter...

Oddly enough, I never listen to music in the tent! I generally just
read there. Our respective endorphin release mechanisms must be
arranged differently, or something :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:30:17 GMT, "Tony Buckley"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>Would he be the same Bruce Hornsby that used to be appear under the moniker
>BH 'and the range'? Heard of him if so, but nothing's stuck in my mind.

I'm told that's the same bloke. I didn't remember The Range, but a pal
here told me they'd recorded something famous, but I've already
forgotten what it was...

>Just been looking round your website too, wee pig, and there's lots of
>interest there.

I'm glad - thanks :)

> I'll stick with one thing for now, since we're on music.
>If you like Tom Waits' Rain Dogs and Nighthawks, you might want to have a
>look at (or better, listen to) Blue Valentine. As different from the other
>two as they are from each other, it's my favourite of his considerable
>output. And it's absolutely no good for walking to, but this isn't
>necessarily a Bad Thing.

Very cool, thanks - I'll check it out :)

>And it was in a cafe in Keswick many years ago when I first heard John
>Martyn's Solid Air, which has become another of my much-played favourites.
>There's a musical discovery for everyone somewhere in the Lake District...

John Martyn - "May you never" - wonderful! I've just put it on :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:19:35 +0000, Phil Cook
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >>Just wondering whether anyone here has come across Bruce Hornsby?

> >You only just heard of him? He was all the rage with The Range a few
> >years back.

certainly was, although a bit of a singles one hit wonder IIRC with 'The
Way It Is' being his biggy

> Anyway, it really is great stuff. I forgot to mention that the album
> is called "Halcyon Days".

One of those albums I always thought would be worth a listen, but never
enough to put it at the top of the wish list.

> >>I find it's a great album to walk to. <koff koff...>

> >I prefer to walk to the natural symphony. Lying in my pit in the tent
> >is another matter...

likewise.

--
Darren
mail to darren not ng

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote

> Just wondering whether anyone here has come across Bruce Hornsby? I
> heard "Lost in the Snow" on the radio when stuck in a traffic jam
> between Borrowdale and Keswick in July, and just loved it.

I wouldn't admit to knowing anything about Bruce Hornsby in public but I've
always found that I can remember exactly where I was the first time I heard
certain songs I really liked many years ago, Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love
whilst watching someone cover the inside of their car with electric blue
fake fur, Stiff Little Fingers' Fly the Flag when the older kids at school
used to let me hang out in their common room so long as they could beat the
**** out of me now and again, The Icicle Works' Evangeline listening to a
crackly Radio Luxembourg under the bedclothes, The Jam's Strange Town on a
coach to Sennybridge Army Camp, The Sweet's Blockbuster on the Waltzers at a
travelling fairground, and the Violent Femmes' Add it Up and numerous other
memorable Wedding Present/Wonderstuff/Pop Will Eat Itself 'indie' type tunes
bouncing around with long haired girls in strobe and smoke filled clubs up
and down the country.

Uh, sorry, got all nostalgic there. What's good about this walking and
tenting stuff again?

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:30:17 GMT, "Tony Buckley"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >Would he be the same Bruce Hornsby that used to be appear under the

moniker
> >BH 'and the range'? Heard of him if so, but nothing's stuck in my mind.

> I'm told that's the same bloke. I didn't remember The Range, but a pal
> here told me they'd recorded something famous, but I've already
> forgotten what it was...

Almost certainly "The Way It is". See

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bruce-hornsby/24963.html

the riff from this track was used on numerous sports programmes as backing.

M.

--
From Sunny South Canterbury

Once upon a time I tried not to spoil my reply address.
Then the Swen-virus started to send me emails :-(
Remove mashed to reply. Sorry.

Peewiglet wrote:
> I find it's a great album to walk to. <koff koff...>
>

> Best wishes,

Although I own a wee MP3 player and do use it sometime if I'm just taking
the dog around the village I couldn't wear it on a proper walk. When I was
running I got on better without music too. Don'y know what it is but it just
seemed to interfere with the whole experience. I was always wondering what
sounds I might be missing, and with running it put the rhythm off a bit
especially as my tastes vary from one extreme to the other.

Muzz
reply to uglyduck NOT spamfrog

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> "Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Just wondering whether anyone here has come across Bruce Hornsby? I
> > heard "Lost in the Snow" on the radio when stuck in a traffic jam
> > between Borrowdale and Keswick in July, and just loved it.

> I wouldn't admit to knowing anything about Bruce Hornsby in public but I've
> always found that I can remember exactly where I was the first time I heard
> certain songs I really liked many years ago, Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love
> whilst watching someone cover the inside of their car with electric blue
> fake fur, Stiff Little Fingers' Fly the Flag when the older kids at school
> used to let me hang out in their common room so long as they could beat the
> **** out of me now and again, The Icicle Works' Evangeline listening to a
> crackly Radio Luxembourg under the bedclothes, The Jam's Strange Town on a
> coach to Sennybridge Army Camp, The Sweet's Blockbuster on the Waltzers at a
> travelling fairground, and the Violent Femmes' Add it Up and numerous other
> memorable Wedding Present/Wonderstuff/Pop Will Eat Itself 'indie' type tunes
> bouncing around with long haired girls in strobe and smoke filled clubs up
> and down the country.

Led Zep, SLF, the excellent Icicle Works, The Jam, Violent Femmes,
Wedding Present, Stuffies, etc.

excellent taste!!You sure you haven't got my music collection?!

I just wish that most of these were not on badly copied cassette (and
some vinyl) so I could actually listen to them again. Keep saying I'm
going to buy them on CD but can't afford the cash :-( And where would I
start?

--
Darren
mail to darren not ng

"Darren G" <[email protected]> wrote

> Led Zep, SLF, the excellent Icicle Works, The Jam, Violent Femmes,
> Wedding Present, Stuffies, etc.
>
> excellent taste!!You sure you haven't got my music collection?!

The Wedding Present, The Wondersuff and PWEI are all touring again in the
first 3 months of next year. Just like the late 80s all over again. I bet
the likes of The Senseless Things, The Mega City Four and Ned's Atomic
Dustbin are already tuning up their guitars and will be shaking their floppy
fringes at a gig near you sometime soon too.

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:52:07 +1300, "Mark Houghton"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>> I'm told that's the same bloke. I didn't remember The Range, but a pal
>> here told me they'd recorded something famous, but I've already
>> forgotten what it was...
>> >

>Almost certainly "The Way It is". See
>
>http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bruce-hornsby/24963.html
>
>the riff from this track was used on numerous sports programmes as backing.

That'll be the one, thanks :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:47:00 -0000, "spamfrog"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>Although I own a wee MP3 player and do use it sometime if I'm just taking
>the dog around the village I couldn't wear it on a proper walk. When I was
>running I got on better without music too. Don'y know what it is but it just
>seemed to interfere with the whole experience. I was always wondering what
>sounds I might be missing, and with running it put the rhythm off a bit
>especially as my tastes vary from one extreme to the other.

I know what you mean - many other people have told me the same thing -
but these things seem to be very individual. The buzz I get from
listening to a much loved, or sometimes simply even appropriate, piece
of music at the right moment can be almost orgasmic! :) I don't find
it intrusive at all, and for me it enhances the moment. I know that
for others it would just get in the way, though.

Having said that, I'm just listening again to "Lost in the Snow", and
it really is an absolutely brilliant song :))) Just wonderful!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> "Darren G" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Led Zep, SLF, the excellent Icicle Works, The Jam, Violent Femmes,
> > Wedding Present, Stuffies, etc.
> >
> > excellent taste!!You sure you haven't got my music collection?!

> The Wedding Present, The Wondersuff and PWEI are all touring again in the
> first 3 months of next year. Just like the late 80s all over again. I bet
> the likes of The Senseless Things, The Mega City Four and Ned's Atomic
> Dustbin are already tuning up their guitars and will be shaking their floppy
> fringes at a gig near you sometime soon too.

Obviously run out of money. Well they can have some of mine. Just
heading off to hunt out tickets ...

--
Darren
mail to darren not ng

Peewiglet wrote:

> Just wondering whether anyone here has come across Bruce Hornsby? I
> heard "Lost in the Snow" on the radio when stuck in a traffic jam
> between Borrowdale and Keswick in July, and just loved it. In fact, I
> loved it so much that I bought the album ( ;-) and it's pretty
> excellent, particularly "Hooray for Tom" and "Heir Gordon". Anyone
> else?

Oh, yes. Mr Hornsby is one of my favourites, a fluent and skilled
keyboard artist and composer who has frequently driven me to praise him
with faint damn's for nearly twenty years. I have all of his albums
except Halcyon Days, which should be arriving in a couple of days ;-)

His website will tell you a lot about him - http://brucehornsby.com/home.php
but as well as his own group and solo albums, he is much in demand as a
session man, for which only your musical skills matter. An exceptional
musician. I think the first 'Range' album, "The Way It Is" is close to
flawless, as is his first solo album, "Harbour Lights".

<playing The Way It Is>
Damn, that's good.

Peewiglet wrote

> John Martyn - "May you never" - wonderful! I've just put it on :)

I never did figure out how to do that pluck/strum/slap style of guitar
playing that he does...

....mind you, he's probably got more guitar playing talent in his toenail
clippings than I've ever possessed. Even if he does only have the one leg
now!

T.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:09:48 -0000, "Tony Buckley"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> John Martyn - "May you never" - wonderful! I've just put it on :)

>I never did figure out how to do that pluck/strum/slap style of guitar
>playing that he does...
>
>...mind you, he's probably got more guitar playing talent in his toenail
>clippings than I've ever possessed. Even if he does only have the one leg
>now!

I'd forgotten about his leg.

Yes, I like that style too, and I can't do it either :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:05:27 +0000, Alan Dicey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Peewiglet wrote:
>
>> Just wondering whether anyone here has come across Bruce Hornsby? I
>> heard "Lost in the Snow" on the radio when stuck in a traffic jam
>> between Borrowdale and Keswick in July, and just loved it. In fact, I
>> loved it so much that I bought the album ( ;-) and it's pretty
>> excellent, particularly "Hooray for Tom" and "Heir Gordon". Anyone
>> else?

>Oh, yes. Mr Hornsby is one of my favourites, a fluent and skilled
>keyboard artist and composer who has frequently driven me to praise him
>with faint damn's for nearly twenty years. I have all of his albums
>except Halcyon Days, which should be arriving in a couple of days ;-)
>
>His website will tell you a lot about him - http://brucehornsby.com/home.php
>but as well as his own group and solo albums, he is much in demand as a
>session man, for which only your musical skills matter. An exceptional
>musician. I think the first 'Range' album, "The Way It Is" is close to
>flawless, as is his first solo album, "Harbour Lights".
>
><playing The Way It Is>
>Damn, that's good.

Excellent! Please let me know what you think of Halcyon Days, once
you've had a chance to digest it. I'll look out the albums you've
mentioned :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Peewiglet wrote:

> Excellent! Please let me know what you think of Halcyon Days, once
> you've had a chance to digest it. I'll look out the albums you've
> mentioned :)

Not digested yet, but after a first run through I have to say it isn't
hs best work. It is mainly typical of his style though, and I feel
confident that you will like most of his other work. Try "The Way it
Is", "Hot House", "Harbour Lights" and "Spirit Trail" in that order of
preference (in my opinion, of course). The last album, "Big Swing
Face", is in a very different style, and should perhaps be left for later.

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:15:44 +0000, Alan Dicey
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>Try "The Way it
>Is", "Hot House", "Harbour Lights" and "Spirit Trail" in that order of
>preference (in my opinion, of course). The last album, "Big Swing
>Face", is in a very different style, and should perhaps be left for later.

Many thanks :)

Best wishes,
--
,,