Totally p*$$ed off with weight

PistachioAddict

May 6, 2006
I am an average rider, 26 mins for 10 mile time trial. Have ridden 3 centuries 17+ mph average speed.

I'm 5 - 9, 86kg, muscular build no weight training in the last 3 years, average bodyfat (i.e. a LOT for a cyclist).

I have been kidding myself that bike training on it's own would lean me down which it did for the first year but my weight has not budged since then.

So being completely and totally f***ed off with things I'm going to follow this plan and see if it kills me or not.

7am - oats + vitamin pill
10 am - cereal bar or fruit
1pm - wholewheat cereal skimmed milk
3pm - cereal bar or fruit
6pm - lean meat and salad

Sunday - 60 miles rolling terrain
Monday - 1hr @ 70% Max HR (indoor trainer)
Tuesday - 1hr @ 70% Max HR (indoor trainer)
Wednesday - 40 miles rolling terrain
Thursday - 8 x 4 minute intervals (indoor trainer)
Friday - 1hr @ 70% Max HR (indoor trainer)
Saturday - 40 miles rolling terrain

For a month. Then if it doesn't shift at least 2 kg's then I'll sell the bike on ebay.

The 70% Max HR sessions seem quite gentle but I suspect I'll experience glucose depletion so I won't be able to manage more than 3 intense sessions a week (Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday) but they will add to my calorie expenditure.

Seems extreme but right now I feel like punishing my body until it fu***ng co-operates. I bet I'm a psychiatrists dream. As well as a fat f**k.

PistachioAddict said:
I am an average rider, 26 mins for 10 mile time trial. Have ridden 3 centuries 17+ mph average speed.

I'm 5 - 9, 86kg, muscular build no weight training in the last 3 years, average bodyfat (i.e. a LOT for a cyclist).

I have been kidding myself that bike training on it's own would lean me down which it did for the first year but my weight has not budged since then.

So being completely and totally f***ed off with things I'm going to follow this plan and see if it kills me or not.

For a month. Then if it doesn't shift at least 2 kg's then I'll sell the bike on ebay.

The 70% Max HR sessions seem quite gentle but I suspect I'll experience glucose depletion so I won't be able to manage more than 3 intense sessions a week (Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday) but they will add to my calorie expenditure.

Seems extreme but right now I feel like punishing my body until it fu***ng co-operates. I bet I'm a psychiatrists dream. As well as a fat f**k.
Relax. Take out a couple days of cardio and hit the weights. Skeletal muscle is always metabolically active, therefore you burn fuel even when sleeping. Use high reps and "super-sets" to give an extra burn.

Stop beating yourself up.

Sportdoc's advice is good. You could continue to do all of the cycling as you are and add 2 weight sessions.

Yep. More reps/sets, lighter weights. Stimulates muscle (not necessarily grow), but your metabolic activity while at rest increases. With your diet, you should lose more body fat/weight. That's how I broke through a plateau.

By the way, this may seem counter-intuitive, but you don't seem to be eating enough ..

You have to eat to lose weight.

mikesbytes said:
Stop beating yourself up.

Sportdoc's advice is good. You could continue to do all of the cycling as you are and add 2 weight sessions.

FrankBattle said:
Yep. More reps/sets, lighter weights. Stimulates muscle (not necessarily grow), but your metabolic activity while at rest increases. With your diet, you should lose more body fat/weight. That's how I broke through a plateau.

By the way, this may seem counter-intuitive, but you don't seem to be eating enough ..

You have to eat to lose weight.
Stength without bulk. Thats what I do.

Your diet is heaps better than mine. Try adding a bit more protein.

mikesbytes said:
Stength without bulk. Thats what I do.

Your diet is heaps better than mine. Try adding a bit more protein.
I have a craving for milk, you might be right about the protein.

I will add circuit training type weights to Tuesday and Thursday.

With workouts like those, it doesn't look like you are eating nearly enough calories.

I'd suggest tracking food intake and energy expenditure via fitday.com and just making sure you are in 500-1000 calorie deficit a day.

-Matt

mattjf said:
With workouts like those, it doesn't look like you are eating nearly enough calories.

I'd suggest tracking food intake and energy expenditure via fitday.com and just making sure you are in 500-1000 calorie deficit a day.

-Matt
Click the link below my signature
Cheers, Michael.

Michael, I just took up cycling and I love the link to fitday.com. How long have you been using it and how much weight have you lost? (beginning weight, weight now, when did you start) Thanks, Greg Thomas, Oklahoma USA

gt3413 said:
Michael, I just took up cycling and I love the link to fitday.com. How long have you been using it and how much weight have you lost? (beginning weight, weight now, when did you start) Thanks, Greg Thomas, Oklahoma USA
Fitday, I'm sure is one of many utilities to help keep track of calories. I use an equivalent program/site (CalorieKing) which isn't free, but the cost is minimal. In my case, I didn't have a ton of weight to lose. I wanted to get down to 195. When I started, I was 210 @ 6'3" (I had ridden, watched calories, worked out down from 275). With calorieking (followed diligently .. as in logged EVERYTHING .. including the gatorade on my rides/workouts and the cream in my coffee), I was able to get down to 192 in about 3.5 months. It was tough to maintain 192 without riding vigorously. So, today I'm at 195 without much work. I mean I still am conscious of what I put in caloricly, but I am used to what my RMR is, so the need to log isn't as strong. Plus, with spring/summer, I am riding more and running outside more.

I don't call it a diet as all it is is just being more aware of what you put in to your body; stop when you are full. I was never hungry. I did have to make some choices (sunchips had to go, well, at least the whole bag at once thing had to go).

I think most of us know how to gain weight. We also know how to lose weight, but it is also very easy to rationalize away the extra calories we eat. It's the seemingly harmless things like: fruit juice, soda, bagels, butter, syrup, sugar, ice cream etc that we munch on throughout the day that add on the extra calories.

What's also important is to be honest about your RMR (or your base calories). Going down about 500 calories from this number per day will drop about 1 pound a week (it did for me). And when I didn't drop that much, I could look back and figure out what it was. Now, there are times when you will hit a plateau. That's when you have to change up your exrcise routine to jump start the metabolism. Also crucial to note that the more fit you are and the closer you are to your natural weight, the harder it will be to drop.

But all in all, it's a game of numbers. Eat 3500 calories less than you need to in a week and you should drop about 1 lb. That's the -500/day. Also watch the fat intake. Not sure how much detail you get with fitday, but with calorieking, you monitor the intake of the essential nutrients with every morsel you log.

Good luck and happy riding.

Frank, Very sound advice. I'm almost ashamed to admit it since I've allowed myself to get so out of shape but I'm actually a registered dietitian (hospital setting) with a background in weight lifting/bodybuilding. I am very impressed with the level of nutrition knowledge of those that visit this site. Most all of the advice/recommendations I've seen are very sound. YOU ALL GET IT! You'd be amazed at the insanity of some other athletes as far as nutrition goes. They'll try anything, even if its dangerous. However, this group seems incredibly knowledgeable. I used to weight lift and do aerobic activity 5-6 days/wk, about 1 1/2 hours per day. But now, with a wife, kids, family, home etc. I just don't have that kind of time to spend at the gym after work. I fell into the habit of not exercising and drinking beer 2-3 days per week (I think because I loved the gym and I couldn't feasibly do it anymore, ?depression). It all added up to extra pounds, all of which I was 100% sure where they came from. It finally clicked a few weeks ago that my old routine wasn't going to work anymore and I had to find something that would work with my lifestyle (duh, the same thing I had told others forever). Instead of getting discouraged and sitting around drinking beer (nice self destructive behavior) I needed an activity that worked for me. Cycling seems to fit well. Once my obligations are taken care of at home for the evening, I can hop on my bike and ride as long as I like. My eating has improved and I'm losing weight. Its amazing how easy it is to get depressed, sidetracked etc. when things don't go your way. I should have found an alternative solution a long time ago but I was too rigid to change. I already feel 100% better, have more energy and feel like I'm alive again. Thanks for the tips and keep up the sound advice. You all are awesome. Thanks, Greg

PistachioAddict said:
That`s starvation..eat oats in the morning and continue with proteins, vegetables and fruit. I prefer chicken with cooked vegetables, plenty of salad for dinner, whey protein after training and optionaly before sleep after harder trainings. After Sunday`s ride eat carbos too. Find wholewheat pasta or rice or something similar...

gt3413 said:
After a long period of gradual weight loss, no longer do I need to loose weight. My food target is a minimum of 3000 calories and a minimum of 165 grams protein per day.

Your diet is completely dependent on what you are trying to do. What fitday helps you do is learn about your eating habits.

Man I know exactly what is wrong with you! I had the same problem and got togther with Tom Danielson coach to "fix" it. You not going to like this but...you addicted to sugar. Your problem is an insulin problem. It might not make sense at first but i'll give you the resources to get the answers to all your questions. I was stuck as a rider at 195 lbs and was riding two centuries a week. Hard riding. I tried calorie cutting, everything. Then I read about sugar addiction and how it effects exercise. Unreal. It took my 90 days and I dropped to 153 lbs and didn't calories cut at all! Go to www.health-fx.net and read all the articles you can. Also, start buying "Drip 4:1" and cut all sugar out of your deit, even fruit for at least 60 days. Of course its better to do this during a base but man, the lost pounds help soooo much.

PistachioAddict said:

update...

Luckily or unluckily I seem to have a lot of muscle I don't deservve to have, good from a metabolism point of view but sometime the hunger is like a raging beast in my belly but I'm learning self discipline.

how interesting to note my reflex to grab something to eat when dealing with a stressful situation at work - I drink a cup of water instead.

I've adjusted the diet it's not so extreme and I feel I'm more in-tune with my requirements. Weight loss of 2.5kg so far.

PistachioAddict said:
update...
how interesting to note my reflex to grab something to eat when dealing with a stressful situation at work - I drink a cup of water instead.
This is so true for many people-eat due to stress. I used to do that, along with eating due to depression. It is a vicious cycle.

notsofastfreddy said:
I completely sympathize, but I'm not sure I buy the whole "lift-weights-muscle-burns-more-fat-be-happy" mantra. I'm no physiologist/nutritionist but the article belows seems to ring true.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-187-0-0-7753,00.html
That article is a little misleading with a slight lean towards the aerobic exercise person. In a average joe, weight-training is just as important as aerobic exercise in health maintainence. The benefits are numerous, beyond looking good in a swim suit as stated by the author at the end of the article. Secondly, only a pencil-neck geek is going to gain 1 pound of muscle mass lifting, you know the type of guy you can crush with your bare-hands. Try adding 30 lbs of muscle for these bean-poles and see what happens to their metabolism. To keep score in calorie burnoff with running is ridiculous and pathetic.

SportsDoc, I don't really disagree with you. There are many benefits from resistance training, I just don't think it should be the primary focus of a weight loss program. No doubt lifting weights is better than lifting a big mac, but that time might be better spent running or biking (if the primary goal is weight loss).