Totally weird application for power meter

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by kmavm, Feb 2, 2006.

1. kmavm

kmavm New Member

A lot of people roughly schedule bike maintenance by either miles or calendar time. E.g., change your chain every three months, expect brand X tires to last 1500 miles, etc. Miles and time are terrible metrics for stress on a bike's moving parts, for mostly the same reasons that they are terrible metrics for training stress: intensity, duration, riding style, as well as actual milage (in the case of tires) all interplay complicatedly. Late into yesterday's ride, after noticing that it's really time to replace my front brake pads, a hypoglycemic thought got stuck in my head: why not schedule maintenance by kiloJoules instead? E.g., pulling some numbers out of thin air, replace tires every 40 megaJoules, rear brake pads every 100 megaJoules, etc.

Sure, it's imperfect, and it won't account for rider-to-rider variation in, e.g., how clean you keep your chain. But, it at least begins to address variation in rider output (more powerful and heavier riders stress wearable components more), frequency, duration of rides, etc. If you wanted to get really cute, you could have a part-by-part "TSS" analog that takes into account part-specific tolerances, etc.

This all sounds impossibly fiddly and annoying to deal with if you were tracking it by hand, but if you imagine it being automated and integrated into training software, it doesn't sound so bad. E.g., a "maintenance" section in the CyclingPeaks UI could contain Microsoft Money-style reminders of maintenance tasks that appear due. While some trivial things like tires are too obvious to be worth tracking in this way, I could occasionally use a reminder like, "Hey, when was the last time you took a good look at your handlebars?"

Tags: