Touch-Up Paint?

SpeakRed

Feb 1, 2008
Hey Everyone...
Is there such a thing as bike touch-up paint/ paint in general? I apologize for sounding vain, but I just bought a new Raleigh Grand Prix...brought it home one night and noticed a gash in the silver on my back fork. I'd like to fix it somehow...

Thanks, hope the week is going well. :eek:

I was able to match the red paint on my wife's Redline with auto touch-up paint from local auto parts store. (For the record, Toyota's Super Red II was a perfect match.)

I would suggest contacting the manufacturer. They should be able to provide you with touch-up paint and/or indicate what paints they use (usually automotive, OldGoat indicated) and the 'code' of the particular color used on your frame.

SpeakRed said:
Hey Everyone...
Is there such a thing as bike touch-up paint/ paint in general? I apologize for sounding vain, but I just bought a new Raleigh Grand Prix...brought it home one night and noticed a gash in the silver on my back fork. I'd like to fix it somehow...

Give these guys a call.

Autocolor Service Inc. toll free: 866-672-8201.
Outside of the US, use Autocolor's alternative number: (541) 672-8201

I ride a Co-Motion, and this is who they use, but they have tons of colors. The guy who helped me was great. They're not cheap, but when you dilute the paint down with laquer thinner for a smooth airbrush t/u, it goes a long way.:)

SpeakRed said:
Hey Everyone...

Try a good toy store and pick up some model airplane/car paint. Most are enamel gloss finish.

I've always used the model kit paints for touchups, for they have a great variety
of colours to get a match.

If you can find a good color match nail polish works , it's inexpensive. and easy to apply

I'll second that, I put a bit of red nail varnish on a couple of chips the other day. Nail varnish is also good for protecting the paint from the brake cable rubbbing on the front fork.

I use clear nail polish for everything. Some light sanding beforehand always helps. Be sure to ventilate the area when you use it. I have myself a headache the last time I "polished" a bike and forgot to open the window. Leave to bike to dry outside too. -fasterthanu