Tough Bike Computer Install Question

rvijay07

May 10, 2007
I have a Raleigh bike computer. Part # 73-1254-6
Tried fixing it in many ways. Appears that the sensor is not working. Went to Canadian Tire store and exchange it thrice, same issue with all three of them. Odometer doesn't register anything. Anyone else here have the same issue ? How was it solved ? Also, the timer doesn't go on and off, rather the same button is used to freeze/unfreeze the computer and this is what it does. Went to store, even the mechanic there couldn't assist. Spent 5 hours on this in all. Called store customer service over phone, they have opened a case on this product. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Vijay

Buy a different bike computer. CatEye or Sigma are good. I haven't had any problems with either one.

My CateEye one even survived falling off the bike at 40 km/h. I was fiddling with it at the time and knocked it loose.

I know nothing about Raleigh-brand cyclo-computers - mine is a VDO unit with wireless speed and cadence.

The obvious thing to check if you're not getting a speed reading is that the coupling to the wheel magnet is good, based on the alignment between the magnet and the pick-up (probably mounted on the fork, I would assume). It may be easier to check this "off the bike", by just passing the magnet across the face of the transmitter while holding it in your hand. This also lets you do this at varying distances from the main computer, to rule out weak transmission between the pick-up/transmitter and the main computer.

Some wireless units use coded digital transmission techniques between the pick-up/transmitter, and the main computer. If this is the case, there may be a "synch" or reset process that you need to go through, to train the computer to respond to the transmitter (basically ensures that the hand-shaking between the two is correct). (The coding scheme is used to prevent the computer from listening to someone else's transmitter, instead of yours. But if the two aren't synched properly, your computer may not be listening to any transmitter.) (Units with analog transmission don't have this problem, but may be more subject to interference from other bikes, etc.)

Finally, it doesn't hurt to remove the batteries from both pieces, and start them both up from scratch.

I agree with rschleicher.

Most of the time when a bike computer won't measure speed or distance, the problem is that the pick up is too far from the magnet. They have to almost touch. On many computers the pick up has a line which indicates exactly where the magnet has to pass.

Retro Grouch said:
I agree with rschleicher.

Most of the time when a bike computer won't measure speed or distance, the problem is that the pick up is too far from the magnet. They have to almost touch. On many computers the pick up has a line which indicates exactly where the magnet has to pass.
Thanks for these suggestions. I tried passing the magnet all around the sensor really close. Didn't help. Nothing was detected at all.