Tough Giro?

Tom Kunich

Guest
If you think that the Giro hasn't been getting tougher just look at today's sprint - Patacchi won
from Jimmy Casper and Jan Svorada, two guys that were George Hincappie type sprinters. Apparently
the big time spinters are all gone.

Simoni and Garzelli are quite plainly the real thing. Garzelli is 2nd in the GC and Points
competitions and 4th in the mountains. These guys haven't gotten their due.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> If you think that the Giro hasn't been getting tougher just look at today's sprint - Patacchi won
> from Jimmy Casper and Jan Svorada, two guys that were George Hincappie type sprinters. Apparently
> the big time spinters are all gone.
>
> Simoni and Garzelli are quite plainly the real thing. Garzelli is 2nd in the GC and Points
> competitions and 4th in the mountains. These guys haven't gotten their due.

I'm surprised that Pettacchi started the stage, let alone won it !! That guy must have been in
absolute agony, as was shown on his face when he attempted to raise his arms in victory at the
finish line... well done Petacchi, a well deserved stage win

Jan

---

Tough in what way? Cipo left due to a crash from a corner 200 meters from the finish. The guy who
slid out and caused him to crash also dropped out.

McEwan left to prepare for le Tour.

So what about those show it is tough?

-Bruce

> If you think that the Giro hasn't been getting tougher just look at today's sprint - Patacchi won
> from Jimmy Casper and Jan Svorada, two guys that were George Hincappie type sprinters. Apparently
> the big time spinters are all gone.
>
> Simoni and Garzelli are quite plainly the real thing. Garzelli is 2nd in the GC and Points
> competitions and 4th in the mountains. These guys haven't gotten their due.

>Patacchi won from Jimmy Casper and Jan Svorada, two guys that were George Hincappie type sprinters.
>Apparently the big time spinters are all gone.

Pretty obvious, but, anyway: Casper and Svaroda are not comaparable to Hincapie. Both are pure field
sprinters who have dozens of sprint wins to their names. Hincapie hasn't their speed/kick/motivation
to contest the big bunch finshes. What's remarkable about Jan is that he has retired at least once,
only to be kept around purely for his sprinting capabilities. Re: Casper, he had the speed to come
around Petacchi today, but was on the wrong wheel. Greg Miller

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bikerecker) wrote:

> >Patacchi won from Jimmy Casper and Jan Svorada, two guys that were George Hincappie type
> >sprinters. Apparently the big time spinters are all gone.
>

> Pretty obvious, but, anyway: Casper and Svaroda are not comaparable to Hincapie. Both are pure
> field sprinters who have dozens of sprint wins to their names. Hincapie hasn't their
> speed/kick/motivation to contest the big bunch finshes. What's remarkable about Jan is that he has
> retired at least once, only to be kept around purely for his sprinting capabilities. Re: Casper,
> he had the speed to come around Petacchi today, but was on the wrong wheel. Greg Miller

I was a bit surprised by Svorada's finish in the TT: 21st at 3.05, just behind Casagrande. Not
too shabby an effort for a sprinter.

--
tanx, Howard

Read. Think. Type. Send.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

For some people, quantity IS quality...

Let me know when Geo beats Svorada in a sprint. That would be something. Svorada has worn the green
Tour points jersey twice and taken 3 Tour stages all in sprints. Casper has been a promise for some
time now so maybe he is moving. up.

> If you think that the Giro hasn't been getting tougher just look at today's sprint - Patacchi won
> from Jimmy Casper and Jan Svorada, two guys that were George Hincappie type sprinters. Apparently
> the big time spinters are all gone.
>
> Simoni and Garzelli are quite plainly the real thing. Garzelli is 2nd in the GC and Points
> competitions and 4th in the mountains. These guys haven't gotten their due.

I wonder how tough the Giro really is. 20K to go today and they're coasting at the back. Short
stages, flat, very few serious breaks, etc. It's no Tour.

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:260520032136049963%[email protected]...
> I wonder how tough the Giro really is. 20K to go today and they're coasting at the back. Short
> stages, flat, very few serious breaks, etc. It's no Tour.

It never has been, not in the easier stages.

In the days of Moser and Saronni, the capos dictated at what point attacks were allowed to commence.
Up till then, it was piano, piano.

These days, the Tour is the opposite of that. The publicity is so huge that riders will take all
sorts of crazy risks. It's a free-for-all.

"Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I was a bit surprised by Svorada's finish in the TT: 21st at 3.05, just
behind Casagrande. Not
> too shabby an effort for a sprinter.

I think he was going for the Intergiro , like Magnus.

cheers, Jeff

> I'm surprised that Pettacchi started the stage, let alone won it !! That guy must have been in
> absolute agony, as was shown on his face when he attempted to raise his arms in victory at the
> finish line... well done Petacchi, a well deserved stage win

Yeah, painkillers can work wonders.

I wonder what showed up at his doping test. But anyway, if his doctors filled out the forms
correctly, there is no problem with that. ;-) If they didn't, then This Years Big Giro Doping
Scandal finally showed up. (The first attempt, the Formaggi raid clearly failed to draw any
attention.) (So did This Years Fassa Brutalo Punching Incident.)

And yes, there is a lot of sarcasm in this post.

cy

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:260520032136049963%[email protected]...
> I wonder how tough the Giro really is. 20K to go today and they're coasting at the back. Short
> stages, flat, very few serious breaks, etc. It's no Tour.
>
> -WG

Add to that, few back to back high mountain stages. It was a race designed to give Cipo the maximum
opportunity to break Binda's record and set it ever higher. Too bad Cipo had his fall.

news:<[email protected]>...
> If you think that the Giro hasn't been getting tougher just look at today's sprint - Patacchi won
> from Jimmy Casper and Jan Svorada, two guys that were George Hincappie type sprinters. Apparently
> the big time spinters are all gone.

Don't embarass Hincapie by comparing him to Svorada, a "big-time" field sprinter with 10 Grand Tour
stage wins to his credit and almost 70 victories, almost all of which are stage race field sprint
wins. Svorada, at nearly 35 years old, can still compete with the best.

What is a "Hincapie-type" sprinter? George is more of a passista, a tempo man with a better turn of
speed than some, but I bet even Garzelli could beat him in a two-up.

And my appologies for getting Jimmy Casper mixed up with some of those other good but not good
enough French sprinters. Jimmy is still on the development curve.

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tom Kunich wrote:
> > If you think that the Giro hasn't been getting tougher just look
at
> > today's sprint - Patacchi won from Jimmy Casper and Jan Svorada,
two
> > guys that were George Hincappie type sprinters. Apparently the big time spinters are all gone.
> >
> > Simoni and Garzelli are quite plainly the real thing. Garzelli is
2nd
> > in the GC and Points competitions and 4th in the mountains. These
guys
> > haven't gotten their due.
>
> I'm surprised that Pettacchi started the stage, let alone won it !!
That guy
> must have been in absolute agony, as was shown on his face when he
attempted
> to raise his arms in victory at the finish line... well done
Petacchi, a
> well deserved stage win
>
> Jan
>

> ---

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Let me know when Geo beats Svorada in a sprint. That would be
something.
> Svorada has worn the green Tour points jersey twice and taken 3 Tour
stages
> all in sprints. Casper has been a promise for some time now so maybe
he is
> moving. up.

When George was first starting he had a sprint that left most people breathless. But certainly
training everything else knocked down his sprint and just as surely he doesn't have the guts for a
bunch sprint. You used to see him timidly trying for the go before he resigned himself to the idea
that you can get greaviously harmed in one of those sprints for nothing more than a stage win that
would take away from team support for the GC.

As for Casper, I'm afraid my memory played some tricks and I mistook him for a couple of those
French also-rans who were great sprinters as long as there wasn't a real sprinter present. I would
truely like to see some competition for the future Petacchi.

"Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
news:<[email protected]>...
> > If you think that the Giro hasn't been getting tougher just look
at
> > today's sprint - Patacchi won from Jimmy Casper and Jan Svorada,
two
> > guys that were George Hincappie type sprinters. Apparently the big time spinters are all gone.

Jan is a Green Jersey man and as such he can't compete with the Cipolinis and Abdujaparovs and Tom
Steels or even, with the Sean Kelleys.

> Don't embarass Hincapie by comparing him to Svorada, a "big-time" field sprinter with 10 Grand
> Tour stage wins to his credit and
almost
> 70 victories, almost all of which are stage race field sprint wins. Svorada, at nearly 35 years
> old, can still compete with the best.

Not hitting on Jan by all means. But he sure ain't in the same league with Petacchi if a broken and
bruised Petacchi can outsprint him.

> What is a "Hincapie-type" sprinter? George is more of a passista, a tempo man with a better turn
> of speed than some, but I bet even Garzelli could beat him in a two-up.

I was pretty surprised the other day when Garzelli was near the front in the finishing sprint.
Actually George started out as a sprinter but he couldn't bring himself to mix it up in a Euro
sprint and who could blame him in the days of Abdujaparov and the Dutch guy (Nielissen?) who used to
put his head down and sprint almost blindly to the line?