Tough roast

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by biig, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. biig

    biig Guest

    Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy. I roasted for
    30 min at 500 then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour. The
    outside was flavourful and it was cooked to the right doneness, but was
    chewy, even sliced very thin. Now I don't know what to do with the
    leftovers and the au ju. I would usually make a beef and vegetable pie,
    but I'm not sure now. Any suggestions? I could put it back into the
    oven in a covered dish and braise, but there must be something else to
    do with it.....tia....Sharon
     
    Tags:


  2. jay

    jay Guest

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:01:37 -0500, biig wrote:

    >
    > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy.


    The southern end of a northern bound steer...is well used and
    normally lean and tough. Seems that I have had better luck cooking these
    with some moisture. If you roast 'em.. don't over cook. You could slice
    paper thin and make sandwiches.
     
  3. In article <[email protected]>, biig <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy. I roasted for
    > 30 min at 500 then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour. The
    > outside was flavourful and it was cooked to the right doneness, but was
    > chewy, even sliced very thin. Now I don't know what to do with the
    > leftovers and the au ju. I would usually make a beef and vegetable pie,
    > but I'm not sure now. Any suggestions? I could put it back into the
    > oven in a covered dish and braise, but there must be something else to
    > do with it.....tia....Sharon


    Round is a lean, tough cut.
    A nice long slow braising with veggies to make a pot roast IMHO would
    make it more than just edible... ;-d
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
  4. Knit Chic

    Knit Chic Guest

    Cut up the beef in small pcs and use it for beef veggie soup.

    "biig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >
    > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy. I roasted for
    > 30 min at 500 then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour. The
    > outside was flavourful and it was cooked to the right doneness, but was
    > chewy, even sliced very thin. Now I don't know what to do with the
    > leftovers and the au ju. I would usually make a beef and vegetable pie,
    > but I'm not sure now. Any suggestions? I could put it back into the
    > oven in a covered dish and braise, but there must be something else to
    > do with it.....tia....Sharon
     
  5. Food Snob

    Food Snob Guest

    biig wrote:
    > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy. I roasted for
    > 30 min at 500 then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour. The
    > outside was flavourful and it was cooked to the right doneness, but was
    > chewy, even sliced very thin. Now I don't know what to do with the
    > leftovers and the au ju. I would usually make a beef and vegetable pie,
    > but I'm not sure now. Any suggestions? I could put it back into the
    > oven in a covered dish and braise, but there must be something else to
    > do with it.....tia....Sharon


    I imagine the au jus is great, but eye of round cooked for that long is
    like shoeleather, even sliced thinly

    --Bryan.
     
  6. Food Snob

    Food Snob Guest

    Knit Chic wrote:
    > Cut up the beef in small pcs and use it for beef veggie soup.


    That is the best advice.

    --Bryan
    >
    > "biig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy. I roasted for
    > > 30 min at 500 then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour. The
    > > outside was flavourful and it was cooked to the right doneness, but was
    > > chewy, even sliced very thin. Now I don't know what to do with the
    > > leftovers and the au ju. I would usually make a beef and vegetable pie,
    > > but I'm not sure now. Any suggestions? I could put it back into the
    > > oven in a covered dish and braise, but there must be something else to
    > > do with it.....tia....Sharon
     
  7. biig

    biig Guest

    Food Snob wrote:
    >
    > Knit Chic wrote:
    > > Cut up the beef in small pcs and use it for beef veggie soup.

    >
    > That is the best advice.
    >
    > --Bryan
    > >
    > > "biig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > >
    > > > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy. I roasted for
    > > > 30 min at 500 then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour. The
    > > > outside was flavourful and it was cooked to the right doneness, but was
    > > > chewy, even sliced very thin. Now I don't know what to do with the
    > > > leftovers and the au ju. I would usually make a beef and vegetable pie,
    > > > but I'm not sure now. Any suggestions? I could put it back into the
    > > > oven in a covered dish and braise, but there must be something else to
    > > > do with it.....tia....Sharon

    I have it in a pot on the stove with the jus. I added carrots,
    celery, onion, corn and some seasonings. I'm simmering it for an hour
    on low heat and will thicken the jus for a gravy and bake it into a meat
    pie.
    The flavour is there, I just hope it won't wear out our
    jaws...lol..Sharon
     
  8. biig wrote:

    > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy. I roasted for
    >30 min at 500 then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour. The
    >outside was flavourful and it was cooked to the right doneness, but was
    >chewy, even sliced very thin. Now I don't know what to do with the
    >leftovers and the au ju. I would usually make a beef and vegetable pie,
    >but I'm not sure now. Any suggestions? I could put it back into the
    >oven in a covered dish and braise, but there must be something else to
    >do with it.....tia....Sharon
    >
    >

    What about cottage pie? You know, mince it up with an onion, add some
    stock or tomato sauce to moisten it and season with whatever you fancy,
    put it in a dish and cover with mashed potato and grated cheese and
    whack it in the oven for half an hour. Yum!

    Christine
     
  9. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    Old Mother Ashby wrote:
    > biig wrote:
    >
    > > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy. I roasted for
    > >30 min at 500 then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour. The
    > >outside was flavourful and it was cooked to the right doneness, but was
    > >chewy, even sliced very thin. Now I don't know what to do with the
    > >leftovers and the au ju. I would usually make a beef and vegetable pie,
    > >but I'm not sure now. Any suggestions? I could put it back into the
    > >oven in a covered dish and braise, but there must be something else to
    > >do with it.....tia....Sharon
    > >
    > >

    > What about cottage pie? You know, mince it up with an onion, add some
    > stock or tomato sauce to moisten it and season with whatever you fancy,
    > put it in a dish and cover with mashed potato and grated cheese and
    > whack it in the oven for half an hour. Yum!
    >
    > Christine


    Eye of round is the biggest ripoff in the meat counter, as far as I'm
    concerned. It looks great - nice, small, kinda pricey - but there is
    absolutely no fat at all which equals very tough meat. I never buy it
    - have never found a cooking method that makes it tender.

    N.
     
  10. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Nancy1 wrote:
    >
    > Eye of round is the biggest ripoff in the meat counter, as far as I'm
    > concerned. It looks great - nice, small, kinda pricey - but there is
    > absolutely no fat at all which equals very tough meat. I never buy it
    > - have never found a cooking method that makes it tender.


    Eye round is one of my favorite cuts, I never have a problem with it
    being tough or dry. And I don't find it pricey at all, I usually buy
    whole ones at $2.99/lb.

    I suppose it's a bit much to expect you to admit you can't cook, no,
    it's the meat's fault. Eye round is no leaner than a boneless center
    cut pork loin, you probably can't cook that either.

    The trick to cooking either is that they be ice cold when placed into
    the oven, slightly frozen in their center is even better. And if your
    butcher goes a bit wild with trimming the fat nothing prevents you from
    tieing a slab of beef fat across the top. I save excess fat from chuck
    steaks in my freezer... if the meat is lean I guess you just stand
    there with your finger up your butt. duh And no more than a 325ºF
    oven for no more than 25 minutes per pound... also choose a roast no
    less than 3 1/2 pounds (5 pounds is better). Tie with butcher twine,
    and across the length too, so that the roast is formed slightly shorter
    in length, so the diameter becomes a bit thicker, and don't tie too
    tight or the juices will squish out as it cooks. A meat thermometer is
    unnecessary with eye round, the cold center will fool the thermometer
    and it'll become over cooked. Also a good idea to season with an oil
    rub (make a paste with lots of cracked pepper and a bit of celery salt
    is all). And cook on a rack, cook all roasts on a rack, or they'll
    stew in their own juices. Allow eye round to rest a full 30 minutes
    before carving. Slice thin but not paper thin, 1/16" slices are fine.
    And your knife must be sharp... no more pressure applied than the
    weight of the knife... this is true for all meat carving, lest you
    squish the juices out of each slice. For cold roast beef sammiches no
    beef cut is better. Of course those who don't care for rare beef they
    had best forget eye round. And eye round makes the worst pot roast,
    only those with CTAD would say they like it.

    Sheldon
     
  11. Harriet Neal

    Harriet Neal Guest

    "biig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >
    > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy. I> do with
    > it.....tia....Sharon


    sounds like a candidate for roast beef hash.

    Harriet & critters
     
  12. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    biig wrote:
    > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy.
    > I roasted for 30 min at 500


    Right there it was ruined already.

    > then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour.


    Here you totally finished it off for any worthwhile use whatsoever.
     
  13. IT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE THAT SLOW COOKING ANY ROAST, BE IT PORK OR
    BEEF, WILL PRODUCE A MORE TENDER PIECE OF MEAT. HOWEVER, BROWNING IT
    AT 500 IS NOT A BAD IDEA FOR A SHORT PIRIOD OF TIME.
     
  14. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > Nancy1 wrote:
    > >
    > > Eye of round is the biggest ripoff in the meat counter, as far as I'm
    > > concerned. It looks great - nice, small, kinda pricey - but there is
    > > absolutely no fat at all which equals very tough meat. I never buy it
    > > - have never found a cooking method that makes it tender.

    >
    > Eye round is one of my favorite cuts, I never have a problem with it
    > being tough or dry. And I don't find it pricey at all, I usually buy
    > whole ones at $2.99/lb.
    >
    > I suppose it's a bit much to expect you to admit you can't cook, no,
    > it's the meat's fault. Eye round is no leaner than a boneless center
    > cut pork loin, you probably can't cook that either.


    Shel, you just never quit, do you. I knew when I hit "post," that this
    would bring you out of the woodwork. I've tried your method; don't
    like it. All your other personal comments you can put where the sun
    don't shine, as they say. I've never made a personal comment about
    you, BTW. I thought AOL had you shaped up, but I see they're slipping
    again.

    N.
     
  15. biig

    biig Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    >
    > biig wrote:
    > > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy.
    > > I roasted for 30 min at 500

    >
    > Right there it was ruined already.
    >
    > > then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour.

    >
    > Here you totally finished it off for any worthwhile use whatsoever.


    Actually, it turned out to be really nice in a meat pie. I cubed
    most of it it fairly small and simmered it with carrots, celery, onion,
    garlic, kernel corn and some seasonings, thickened the jus and baked it
    in a pie shell. I put an egg wash in the bottom and over the top
    crust. Dh had seconds. There is still enough thin slices to make
    sandwiches for lunch today.

    .....Sharon <G>
     
  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > biig wrote:
    > > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy.
    > > I roasted for 30 min at 500

    >
    > Right there it was ruined already.
    >
    > > then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour.

    >
    > Here you totally finished it off for any worthwhile use whatsoever.
    >


    Nah.

    Slow braising would rescue it, with lots of onions......
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > IT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE THAT SLOW COOKING ANY ROAST, BE IT PORK OR
    > BEEF, WILL PRODUCE A MORE TENDER PIECE OF MEAT. HOWEVER, BROWNING IT
    > AT 500 IS NOT A BAD IDEA FOR A SHORT PIRIOD OF TIME.
    >


    AND YOU ARE SHOUTING!!!!! Why?

    Using all CAPS is RUDE!!!
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
  18. biig

    biig Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > biig wrote:
    > > > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy.
    > > > I roasted for 30 min at 500

    > >
    > > Right there it was ruined already.
    > >
    > > > then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour.

    > >
    > > Here you totally finished it off for any worthwhile use whatsoever.
    > >

    >
    > Nah.
    >
    > Slow braising would rescue it, with lots of onions......
    > --
    > Peace, Om


    Yah, that did it. I simmered it for about an hour with chopped
    onion, then added carrots, celery and corn and seasonings toward the end
    of the hour. Turned out pretty good. It pleased the only ones I need
    to please, anyway....Sharon
     
  19. biig

    biig Guest

    Dan Abel wrote:
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Harriet Neal" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "biig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > >
    > > > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy. I> do with
    > > > it.....tia....Sharon

    > >
    > > sounds like a candidate for roast beef hash.

    >
    > I've never figured out how to cook this stuff. Even if the roast beef
    > tasted fine the first time, it is way too tough and chewy once hashed.
    >
    > --
    > Dan Abel
    > [email protected]
    > Petaluma, California, USA


    Read previous posts, Dan. I made a meat pie with the leftovers and
    it turned out very nice indeed. So I managed to salvage the leftovers.
    I cooked an eye of round roast a couple of months ago that was tender,
    so I bought this one expecting the same. I'll be sure not to get
    another one. My DH prefers potroast, but I like an occasional oven
    roast done med-rare......Sharon
     
  20. In article <[email protected]>, biig <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > biig wrote:
    > > > > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy.
    > > > > I roasted for 30 min at 500
    > > >
    > > > Right there it was ruined already.
    > > >
    > > > > then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour.
    > > >
    > > > Here you totally finished it off for any worthwhile use whatsoever.
    > > >

    > >
    > > Nah.
    > >
    > > Slow braising would rescue it, with lots of onions......
    > > --
    > > Peace, Om

    >
    > Yah, that did it. I simmered it for about an hour with chopped
    > onion, then added carrots, celery and corn and seasonings toward the end
    > of the hour. Turned out pretty good. It pleased the only ones I need
    > to please, anyway....Sharon


    That's what counts... :)

    My housemate has bad teeth, won't go see the dentist. <sigh>
    Sometimes if something I cook up is too tough, I just braise it.
    Keeps a good flavor and makes it easier for him to eat.

    Turkey wings are a good example! For me, I grill them as I like them
    that way. For him, I braise them and get kudos every time. <G>
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
Loading...