Tough roast

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by biig, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > biig wrote:
    > > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy.
    > > I roasted for 30 min at 500

    > Right there it was ruined already.

    No, it was ruined long before that. As soon as you see "eye of round
    roast", run the other way as fast as possible. Only somebody with
    incredible control over beating their meat like Sheldon can make this
    edible. I mean, Sheldon dry roasts *chuck steak*!

    As they say on tv, "Don't try this at home, kiddies. Professional
    driver, closed course."

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  2. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Harriet Neal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "biig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy. I> do with
    > > it.....tia....Sharon

    > sounds like a candidate for roast beef hash.

    I've never figured out how to cook this stuff. Even if the roast beef
    tasted fine the first time, it is way too tough and chewy once hashed.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  3. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Nancy1" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sheldon wrote:
    > > Nancy1 wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Eye of round is the biggest ripoff in the meat counter, as far as I'm
    > > > concerned. It looks great - nice, small, kinda pricey - but there is
    > > > absolutely no fat at all which equals very tough meat. I never buy it
    > > > - have never found a cooking method that makes it tender.

    > > Eye round is one of my favorite cuts, I never have a problem with it
    > > being tough or dry. And I don't find it pricey at all, I usually buy
    > > whole ones at $2.99/lb.
    > >
    > > I suppose it's a bit much to expect you to admit you can't cook, no,
    > > it's the meat's fault. Eye round is no leaner than a boneless center
    > > cut pork loin, you probably can't cook that either.

    > Shel, you just never quit, do you. I knew when I hit "post," that this
    > would bring you out of the woodwork. I've tried your method; don't
    > like it. All your other personal comments you can put where the sun
    > don't shine, as they say. I've never made a personal comment about
    > you, BTW. I thought AOL had you shaped up, but I see they're slipping
    > again.

    I don't want to race motorcycles. I don't want to climb Mt. Everest. I
    don't want to dry roast an eye of round (again). It's interesting to
    read about, though.

    Maybe you really don't know how to do it, Nancy. Or maybe you just
    don't like expensive tough meat.

    I'll bet that Sheldon's eye of round roast is pretty good.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  4. MoM

    MoM Guest

    "biig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > Well, my eye of round roast turned out rather chewy. I roasted for
    > 30 min at 500 then lowered to 275 for a little more than an hour. The
    > outside was flavourful and it was cooked to the right doneness, but was
    > chewy, even sliced very thin. Now I don't know what to do with the
    > leftovers and the au ju. I would usually make a beef and vegetable pie,
    > but I'm not sure now. Any suggestions? I could put it back into the
    > oven in a covered dish and braise, but there must be something else to
    > do with it.....tia....Sharon

    I wouldn't cook a round roast that way. It's a little tough for that. I
    usually use sirloin tips and they work well that way.

    MoM

  5. MoM

    MoM Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > IT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE THAT SLOW COOKING ANY ROAST, BE IT PORK OR
    > BEEF, WILL PRODUCE A MORE TENDER PIECE OF MEAT. HOWEVER, BROWNING IT
    > AT 500 IS NOT A BAD IDEA FOR A SHORT PIRIOD OF TIME.

    It works for some meat if you like medium to rare. Even Eye of the round
    "usually" turns out fairly good. But I sure wouldn't try it with a blade
    or cross rib.

    This is my method

    -------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

    Title: My Roast Beef

    Recipe By:

    Category: Family

    Main Ingredient:

    Cuisine Style:

    Yield: 4 Servings

    Preparation Time: 0:00

    Cooking Time: 0:00

    [Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]

    ---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------

    *********************** MMMMMMM BY HELEN PEAGRAM ***********************

    *********************** MMMMM2 1/2 TO 3 POUND ROAST
    ***********************

    Sirloin, sirloin tip, rump

    Or eye of round roast

    [Preparation]

    Choose a tender cut, Rib, rolled rib, sirloin, sirloin tip, rump, or

    round roast.

    Remove roast from frig at least 2 hours before ready to cook. Preheat

    oven to 500. Place meat fat side up in a well greased roasting pan,

    on a rack Do NOT cover.

    Add about 1/2 inch water.

    Place in oven and time for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 275.

    Continue cooking for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours and test with meat

    thermometer.

    I find about 120-140 produces a medium rare result.

    - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -