tougher tires?

vandal09

Nov 27, 2005
Hey, this is my first post on here. I'm 15 and I'm sorta gettin myself a christmas present this year, my first road bike! Well, It's a Lemond Tourmalet (59) and since I'm gonna be gettin it right in the middle of winter I was wondering, I've heard it's smart to get tougher tires for the fall/winter months. If so I was just wondering what kind I should get? Also, what the heck should I wear since it's gonna be freezing up here? Thanks for all your help, I can't wait till I can start, it's gonna be a blast.

specialized armadillos were used to win WWII and operation desert storm

if you are looking for toughness, then look no farther

I've had good luck with Continental 2000's in the winter. The above tires I've never tried but should be similar. Just remember to always inflate your tire to the recommended preasure and you will be Ok with winter riding. I always inflate to 100 - 110 PSI every ride and I can count the number of flats I've had in 10 years of road riding, on my fingers.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the new bike!

I've been using Continetal Ultra Gator Skins for a few years now - great tires with few flats!

What's wrong with the tires that come stock on the LeMond? The key to tire longevity or bike longevity for that matter is maintenance. Keep your tires at the right pressure and you should be fine. Also, keep your eye on the road for debris. It doesn't matter if it's winter or summer, try to avoid rolling over debris and you will ejoy many many kilometres (metric where I live) of cycling bliss. Also, keep your bike clean and well lubed. It's more difficult in the winter but make the effort, you'll save $$$ in the long run. Learn to fix a flat if you don't already know. That skill is more valuable than any high quality tire.

I say stick with the stock tires for the winter, they tend to be heavier rubber and wire beaded anyway. Save your money and get yourself a sweet set of racing slicks like Michelins or Vittorias or whatever for the summer. Your bike will feel more like a hot rod then.

I'd spend some money on some nice cold weather clothing instead. A nice base layer, jacket, gloves and tights. Go see a good reputable local bike shop. They'll hook you up.

I will third the vote for the aramdillos. I have about 8500 miles on mine and I have had only one flat. They are as tough as nails. The one flat was kind of a freak thing. A very small wire worked its way through the very bottom of the side wall.