tour 2005

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by Michael Reyes, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Michael Reyes

Michael Reyes New Member

I'm planning my firsts bicycle tour next year from Toronto to Vancouver or Toronto to the Atlantic Coasts. My question is, should I buy a road bike or can I use my haro mountain bike strictly? I've seen one travelogue where a guy rode his mountain bike from Alaska to Argentina so I'm guessing its more than possible to do the trip with a M.B.
    M.R.

Tags:

2. byfred

byfred New Member

Hi Mike: I think that you can tour with just about any old bike.........However, the difference between "any old bike" and a "properly fitted touring bike" is like having to use the washroom on a bus, as opposed to using the washroom in your own home.
    My wife and I did a tour of Atlantic Canada, this past summer, and there was a fellow up on the Cabot Trail with a one-speed bicycle, with wooden rims. He was in his 60's, I think, and his wife was driving a "sag wagon" for him. I never saw him climbing any of the really big hills.
    There are lots of good touring bikes available but I would suggest you check out a "custom builder", just to see what they have. <www.marinoni.com> in Montreal and <www.truenorthcycles.com> in Kitchen...ve you any advice that I can...........byfred

3. Michael Reyes

Michael Reyes New Member