Tour (Concerned)

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Chere, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Chere

    Chere Guest

    On the tail end of a sinus infection and symptoms are greatly improved but it has left me with not
    my usual amount of energy. Bike Florida tour is coming up (our first week-long bike tour) and I'm
    concerned about being able to go the distances required.

    Does anyone know what arrangements are made available if one is not up to riding the total day's
    length or even for one (or 2) of the days?

    Has anyone ever ridden when they weren't 100%?

    I have been looking forward to this for months and I'm concerned and bummed about it.

    Thanks!

    Chere

    Tags:

  2. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Chere,

    All the big, supported tours I've been on or heard about have "Sag Wagons" When you feel like
    enough is enough, they pick you and your bike up and transport you to your next overnight spot.

    Actually, you will probably heal under the gentle ministrations of all day bent riding. Just
    start slow and then taper off if you get tired.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  3. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > On the tail end of a sinus infection and symptoms are greatly improved but it has left me with not
    > my usual amount of energy. Bike Florida tour is coming up (our first week-long bike tour) and I'm
    > concerned about being able to go the distances required.
    >
    > Does anyone know what arrangements are made available if one is not up to riding the total day's
    > length or even for one (or 2) of the days?
    >
    > Has anyone ever ridden when they weren't 100%?
    >
    > I have been looking forward to this for months and I'm concerned and bummed about it.

    Like you, I picked up something similar last month when I was in the Va blizzard. It took me two
    weeks to get over it and only last week did I resume riding to work. I was concerned about recovery.
    I did not feel 100% last Monday. But by Friday, I was back to where I left off in Mid February.

    I find the riding seems to help a clearing sinus condition. Listen to your body and as Tom has
    suggested, take the SAG if you need to.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    I wouldn't worry too much. Yes, there are SAGs if needed, but this is a flat ride this year, with
    two layover days. You're going to have an easy ride, saok up the sun, and any illnesses will
    disappear.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  5. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >On the tail end of a sinus infection and symptoms are greatly improved but it has left me with not
    >my usual amount of energy.

    I'd try to find out for sure whether-or-not I had an active infection before making a decision.

    The sickest I've ever been in my life (one time losing 105 lbs, another time losing 30 and almost
    dying) followed significant exercise with an active infection.

    Dunno if it's just me...but I envision the exercise as taking resources that would otherwise be
    used in fighting infection and circulating whatever organisms are causing the infection around in
    my bod....
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  6. Rodney Kuehl

    Rodney Kuehl Guest

    The weather forecast looks fabulous. 70s for highs and little chance of rain. I know what you mean
    about the pollen though. I was in Gainesville last Friday and the freakin rain was green with
    pollen. I got the worst toothache except it was half of my mouth. When I got to work Monday and
    traded war stories I found two other guys packing tubes of Anbesol over the same ailments as the
    sinus infections went way south. It's BAD right now but stuff is green.

    Have fun. If you have to hook a ride here or there, so what? Carol Cohen tells me if you left 50 lbs
    of jewelery at home, it might make you faster
    :))

    I've got too much on my plate trying to make a living but I wish I was going. Say hello to Mark and
    Amy on the Double Vision for me.

    Rod Kuehl RANS V2 Challenge Wizard Riverview, FL

    BTW- Withlacoochie Clean Air Ride 3/15 from the Ridge Manor Trail Head. The mother trail of bentdom.

    "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I wouldn't worry too much. Yes, there are SAGs if needed, but this is a flat ride this year,
    > with two layover days. You're going to have an easy ride, saok up the sun, and any illnesses
    > will disappear.
    >
    > chere wrote:
    > > On the tail end of a sinus infection and symptoms are greatly improved
    but
    > > it has left me with not my usual amount of energy. Bike Florida tour is coming up (our first
    > > week-long bike tour) and I'm concerned about being
    able
    > > to go the distances required.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what arrangements are made available if one is not up
    > > riding the total day's length or even for one (or 2) of the days?
    > >
    > > Has anyone ever ridden when they weren't 100%?
    > >
    > > I have been looking forward to this for months and I'm concerned and
    bummed
    > > about it.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Chere
    > >

    > --
    > Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  7. Chere

    Chere Guest

    ...And here I thought Carol was impressed with the beauty of Sanibel Island!
    :-o

    Actually, that's not jewelry I wear but talismans in the form of shiny body adornments; as soon as I
    take it off... bam... sinus infection!

    BTW, is anyone else going on the Withlacoochee Moonlight Ride April 12th with Regis and ERRC editor,
    Laurie "Wo" Smith? Don and I are planning on it; staying at the Crown in Inverness.

    Chere GRR Bachetta Ti (wannabe)

  8. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    chere wrote:
    > ...And here I thought Carol was impressed with the beauty of Sanibel Island!
    > :-o
    >
    > Actually, that's not jewelry I wear but talismans in the form of shiny body adornments; as soon as
    > I take it off... bam... sinus infection!
    >
    > BTW, is anyone else going on the Withlacoochee Moonlight Ride April 12th with Regis and ERRC
    > editor, Laurie "Wo" Smith? Don and I are planning on it; staying at the Crown in Inverness.
    >
    > Chere GRR Bachetta Ti (wannabe)

    I would like to, but I have to be back north near Cincinnati on Monday, so waking up Sunday in
    central Florida makes for an awfully long day. So, if the weather's decent, I'm planning on
    leaving Live Oak on Thursday at the close of the Safari and heading for Eatonton, GA, and the
    tune-up weekend rides for BRAG. It's souteast of Atlanta, looks pretty rural on the maps, and
    sounds like a fun weekend. Day of ride registration, too, for individual days as well as the
    whole weekend.
    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  9. Chere

    Chere Guest

    Not to worry Pete... I've had enough antibiotics to sink a battleship... feeling better every day
    though now that I'm finished the meds and probably a little case of "the nerves" going on too what
    with this being our first tour and all.

    Chere

  10. Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > On the tail end of a sinus infection and symptoms are greatly improved but it has left me with
    > > not my usual amount of energy. Bike Florida tour is coming up (our first week-long bike tour)
    > > and I'm concerned about being able to go the distances required.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what arrangements are made available if one is not up to riding the total day's
    > > length or even for one (or 2) of the days?
    > >
    > > Has anyone ever ridden when they weren't 100%?
    > >
    > > I have been looking forward to this for months and I'm concerned and bummed about it.
    >
    > Like you, I picked up something similar last month when I was in the Va blizzard. It took me two
    > weeks to get over it and only last week did I resume riding to work. I was concerned about
    > recovery. I did not feel 100% last Monday. But by Friday, I was back to where I left off in Mid
    > February.
    >
    > I find the riding seems to help a clearing sinus condition. Listen to your body and as Tom has
    > suggested, take the SAG if you need to.

    Congratulations on taking the Bike Florida trip. Just remember that you have ALL DAY to get to the
    next campsite. Take all of the rest stops and take an hour off for a nice lunch. Relax, have fun,
    stop and smell the roses along the way and you WILL make it. One last thought...start the day with
    3-advil and end the day with 3 more advil.

  11. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    > Have fun. If you have to hook a ride here or there, so what? Carol Cohen tells me if you left 50
    > lbs of jewelery at home, it might make you faster
    > :))

    > Rod Kuehl RANS V2 Challenge Wizard Riverview, FL

    Why Rodney, you nasty gossip! Chere, Rod's twisted my perfectly nice description of you as wearing a
    major rock on your crankset gear hand, into something despicable. He probably makes references to
    palm tree trunks and Florida watermelons when talking about the rear view of moi.

    So I encourage you, Chere, to go on Bike Florida and ride the everlastin' sh** outta him.

    With affection,

    C.C.

    >>>the tail end of a sinus infection and symptoms are greatly improved but it has left me with not
    >>>my usual amount of energy. Bike Florida tour is coming up (our first week-long bike tour) and I'm
    >>>concerned about being able to go the distances required.

    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Chere
    >>>

    >> --
    >> Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  12. Rodney Kuehl

    Rodney Kuehl Guest

    > Why Rodney, you nasty gossip! Chere, Rod's twisted my perfectly nice description of you as wearing
    > a major rock on your crankset gear hand,
    into
    > something despicable. He probably makes references to palm tree trunks
    and
    > Florida watermelons when talking about the rear view of moi.
    >
    > So I encourage you, Chere, to go on Bike Florida and ride the everlastin' sh** outta him.
    >
    > With affection,
    >
    > C.C.
    ====================

    Did I say the weather forecast looks fabulous? :)) Wish I didn't have to work but the company I
    work for is on life support. I'm really planning on a semi tour like Bike Florida around 7/4. The
    Wisconsin ride looks really nice!!!!

    CC, you look great in the rear view mirror!!

    Have fun Chere!

    Rod Kuehl RANS V2 Challenge Wizard Riverview,FL

  13. Chere

    Chere Guest

    So Rod... does this mean I won't get a chance to "bug the sh*t"" out of you whilst struggling to
    pedal my rocks around on Bike Florida in a few days?

    Sorry to hear about your company's death rattle.

    I feel 100% now and presently all my focus has been switched to the PACKING debacle... good grief...
    we have more stuff for our bikes than we have for ourselves! Apparently they want the bikes stripped
    down for transport so frame bags, panniers, pedals, etc. must be removed and (in our case) all this
    stuff will have a suitcase of it's own.

    I am really psyched about this trip! Thanks everyone for encouraging me to get well.

    Chere

  14. Rodney Kuehl

    Rodney Kuehl Guest

    You go girl, just lean a little to the right :)) Have fun. Glad you're feeling better. Man, it sure
    warmed up today. 89 degrees here in Tampa. See you down the trail somewhere.

    BTW- I was privately reprimanded so I can't gossip on this board anymore, I'm told!!!!

    news:[email protected]...