Tour D'Durban

Hi Folks,

The Tour Durban was a great ride, found the climb at the Sharks Board tough finished in 3h22 :)a best time for me.
Looks like everybody had a good ride.The vibe at the finish was great we stayed for the prize giving and consumed a few to many "beverages" :p.
Cheers

Nice one, Gordon! Congrats on your time. I agree, KZN races have a special vibe. This was my first TD, and it's a great race.

btw, I see the results were up about 5 hrs after the event. Well done Championchip!

hi guys & gals,

i couldn't fit in le tour d'urban in my busy schedule this year - had to design a new outfit for mario cipollini before the giro.  no seriously, i'm actually jealous of all of you who were there.  amashovashova is definitely on my calendar.

as you probably guessed from my nickname, i ride a zini.  i love this bike - bought it about 1993 second hand for r1500 (cateye speedometer, gloves and cycling shorts included).  although i rode my bike quite a lot, i did my first race only in 1998 (age 28).  it was the lost city classic.  since then i was hooked.  last year was the first time i followed a training programme (july-november), designed by my good friend cosmos.  i ended last year with a B seeding and am aiming for A this year.

if you are looking for inspiration, look no further.  cosmos used to be an excellent junior, riding sa champs with people like robert hunter, malcolm lange, owen hannie etc.  since those days he has been in and out of the saddle so to speak, settling into his IT career.  about a month or two ago we  again started riding together casually, until he just took off like a rocket.  after just a couple of weeks' training he was right back mixing it with the pro's.  just goes to show if you have it in your head, you can do it.  now i'm more motivated than ever to stretch my own limits.

look out for cosmos (nico de nysschen) and the jobmates team.  they are a very new semi-pro team on the road based in kempton park.  they all have day jobs, but are passionate about their sport!

zini

Welcome to the forum Zini! With a training partner like Cosmos, what more can you ask for? Hope you get that A-grading soon!

Gordon & Zini - welcome to the board also!

Gordon, well done to you too, on that speedy time! Zini, next year?

As for Amashovashova - anybody got the date handy? I can check it out, but it's quicker to ask ;) he he

Anybody done it before? And compared to Durban, what is it like? ;D

OK, I see it's on 27 October... cool 8)

I still want to know, though, compared to Durban, what is it like? Anyone??? ;D

Compared to Durban? Few extra climbs, I would say. Inchanga is tough, and then that last hill before the end. Also the start has a nice climb. Overall it's very much the same. There's an awesome downhill once you pass the halfway mark. And the entry into Durban is a great feeling.

thx 4 the welcome, vo2 & elsa! i will definitely visit this board again. yes elsa, tour d'urban is definitely also on my list 4 next year. c y again on another subject! :D

Hi all,

Just noticed this thread and decided to join in the rave for the Tour D'urban.

Isn't it great that feeling you get on the day that everything seems to work together for a good race.
I did the Argus in 4:06 and the wilro a couple of weeks ago in 4:30. I was getting depressed that my times were getting worse then I did the tour durban in 2:59. Am I glad or what?

I started with the F group, rode with the leading bunch for about 30kms and then convinced myself that

1. 190 cannot be my max hr because I had seen that on my monitor too many times already in the race.
2. Even if my max hr was not 190, it couldn't be healthy to have an average HR in the first hour of 185
3. I couldn't keep up with that pace for much longer.

So I dropped off massaged the HR down and tagged along with the third bunch in the F group.

I kept up with them till practically the very end. I will be back.
;D ;D ;D

Hi Cosmos, Zini, & Gordon. Welcome to the Forum. Hi to the rest of the gang.
Cranky. Good to see you at the start in my Group. ;D How did you do? Never saw you again after that!
Elsa. Yeah, not so bad as the Argus. My S710 recorded 32C max this time. Still warm!
I had stomach upset for 3 days previous and during the ride. (I'm prone to these things :'() I faded over the last 12-15km and was probably dehydrated again due to the "runs". ::) Anyway I am happy with a <4hr (3:57). More short sharp hills than I anticipated. :eek:Definately be back next year.
What's next for you guys? For me, probably the Sun City CANSA end of August.

Hi,

What is next?

I am considering the Jock at the end of July. If I feel fit enough I might do the Spar Numbi in preparation for that. I did it (spar Numbi) last year and did I feel like ****? The first half was all uphill and the second half was straight into a headwind (at least it felt like that) But as I always say I am a sucker for punishment so I may try that again.

Regards

Hi everyone. It's my 1st day back at work after a bit of leave. It was nice to meet you too Old Timer. I'm glad you enjoyed the ride. I enjoyed it as well. I thought I had started way too fast because at about 40km I was doing 30k ave. I slowed a bit for a while but stated feeling strong withabout 20 to go and then pushed harder. Finished in 3h19. No one was more suprised than me. I was at the finish before my family got there to meet me.

The course was different to what I expected. There are not many flats but the downhills are nice and fast. I will do it again.

I will be doing a couple of small local rides and then the Knysna Cycle in July

Cheers

Hello eveyone and congrats on the times!

Just got back into the office after a 9 day holiday - went from a SA winter to a UK summer and the temp dropped 15 degrees! You lucky buggers in SA - can't wait to end my contract and head home!

Durban was good fun although I suffered a bit with the temp and humidity - dragged myself home in 2:49. The speed bumps on the run in near the end were cool on a dual suspended MTB - no bunny hop required.

A little moan though - started in the D bunch and caught the ladies racing group (C bunch) at the 35km mark. Damn can those ladies *****! First I got told to get out of their race (this after we passed them and they tagged on). Then I got told by a woman that I was useless because I was slipstreaming a ladies group (I dropped from the front so they could race honestly without me pacing them). Then I got told riding an MTB in a group is dangerous and I should leave (only the F**k off phrase was used).

To be fair the serious ladies didn't say a word - just got on with racing. The comments came from the wannabe ladies with egos bigger than their fitness levels.

Great time Eldron! Well done!
hehe, I think the main reason for the *****ing was probably do to the fact that they were been passed by some dude on a mountain bike. That must of hurt their ego's. Pity you didn't wear a t-shirt, baggy shorts and sneakers, with a peak cap the wrong way around on your head. Now that would of really p'eed them off! ;D

Hi All again...

Old Timer - your next one can't be CANSA - that is toooo long to wait, surely??? won't you get withdrawal symptoms from cycling? ;)

To all the other newcomers onto the website - WELCOME ;D

Black_Knight - I agree, I'm also CONSIDERING the Jock at the end of July. It will be my first, if I do decide to do it. I've heard how cold it gets, and how tough it is..... lots of time before entries close, to decide. Any advice, anyone?

Eldron - sorry about the rude ladies - you can rest assured, not all of us are like that at all! In fact, back yonder in the group I was in, it was 8)

The jock is an awesome race - like a little Tour of Lesotho. Mentally and physically challenging but leaves you with a feeling of satisfaction second to none!

Elsa: No need to defend the ladies - at first I got peeved then I thought - I'm on holiday cruising the TD at a comfy pace in the sun in SA - life is too short to take *****ing to heart.

VO2 - One day I'm going to do the argus in full 'dork' costume. Racing it is good fun but you miss the view, the atmoshpere and the people.

Thanx for the feedback, Eldron. I'm tempted... for the Jock challenge... and besides, I love dogs, so... :)

I agree with you, one day I also want to do the Argus in a fun outfit - everybody says that is the one sure way to make certain you appear on TV ;)
First I have 7 minutes to take OFF my time, before I consider the "fun ride Argus". Until then, the RACE IS ON still, for me!
:)

Cranky. Well done. ;) Very good time. You must be near the top for our group? 8)
Elsa. I didn't say anything about being off the bike until the CANSA only that I probably won't do any races until then. ;D
(Went out yesterday at 8:30 for what was to be my normal Tuesday 3hr slow ride. Partner didn't show, wonder why! ???Blowing a gale and temp 6C! :p 10 minutes into the ride I changed the sched to a 1hr fast ride. ;D No one can ride slow in those conditions. :eek: I'd forgotten how cold you can get on a road bike! :'( Tomorrow going out at 11:00 after it has warmed up! ;D)

Hi guys, been at the TD + a bit of leave ;D and away for work :p so I haven't been following all the posts. Vo2, you should have cycled up to me, "klap"ed me and said "Hi", it might have taken my mind of my suffering! 8) Eldron, you should have put on a nice smile, said "Yes madam, but I going to pick up the paper, bread and milk" and then heard the language. They might get permanent posts offered to them as Sgt. Majors in the SANDF with their language.

Old Timer, I heard that the CANSA might not be a good idea. They try to steal your sweats out of your jersey pockets...........while you're racing out of a speeding taxi! After I spoke to some friends who did it last year, I decided to pass on that one.

Zini, Gordon - HOWZIT!!!!

Cosmos ::) , jeezz, nice one