Tour de Australia?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve Gerdemann, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. While watching the Tour de France when I was on vacation in Australia,
    I had dangerous thought.

    Australia already has some great rides what they need now is a grand
    tour. After all there is a tour of Italy, Spain, Germany, Georgia…

    Australia doesn't have any fun mountains but it does have heat and
    4-wheel drive tracks. So instead of mountain stages there could be
    heat stages 100 miles in 40C heat. Then the 4-wheel track stages. For
    real fun you could combine both.

    Steve Gerdemann

    Tags:

  2. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Steve Gerdemann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > While watching the Tour de France when I was on vacation in Australia,
    > I had dangerous thought.
    >
    > Australia already has some great rides what they need now is a grand
    > tour. After all there is a tour of Italy, Spain, Germany, Georgia.

    There are all sorts of stage races -- form 3 days to 3 weeks.
    Australia has the acclaimed Tour Down Under by Jacob's Creek.

    > Australia doesn't have any fun mountains but it does have heat and
    > 4-wheel drive tracks. So instead of mountain stages there could be
    > heat stages 100 miles in 40C heat. Then the 4-wheel track stages. For
    > real fun you could combine both.
    >
    > Steve Gerdemann

  3. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    a tour that took in all of australia would take 3 months though, not 3 weeks!!

  4. Steve Gerdemann wrote:

    > While watching the Tour de France when I was on vacation in Australia,
    > I had dangerous thought.
    >
    > Australia already has some great rides what they need now is a grand
    > tour. After all there is a tour of Italy, Spain, Germany, Georgia…
    >
    > Australia doesn't have any fun mountains but it does have heat and
    > 4-wheel drive tracks. So instead of mountain stages there could be
    > heat stages 100 miles in 40C heat. Then the 4-wheel track stages. For
    > real fun you could combine both.

    Tour Down Under meets Crocodile Trophy.

  5. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Steve Gerdemann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > While watching the Tour de France when I was on vacation in Australia,
    > I had dangerous thought.
    >
    > Australia already has some great rides what they need now is a grand
    > tour. After all there is a tour of Italy, Spain, Germany, Georgia.
    >
    > Australia doesn't have any fun mountains but it does have heat and
    > 4-wheel drive tracks. So instead of mountain stages there could be
    > heat stages 100 miles in 40C heat. Then the 4-wheel track stages. For
    > real fun you could combine both.

    As Ken pointed out, there's the Tour Down Under, which is the top UCI stage
    race in Australia at the moment. There's also the Tour of Queensland and the
    Sun Tour, and even the Tour of Tasmania every now and again. But there are a
    few problems with running a major tour in Oz. The two biggies are a) money:
    the TDU is a government funded race and is very well organised, but it's
    "only" six days); b) fitting it on the calendar: the Australian UCI stage
    races fall outside the main season at the moment because it's simply too
    hard to convince the UCI as well as attracting a top quality field to
    Australia in (say) May. Disrupts the schedule too much.

    Finding the right terrain isn't too hard. The Sun Tour does this pretty
    well, as there enough mountains in Victoria and southern NSW to present a
    sufficient challenge. They're not Col du Galibier standards, but there are
    plenty of 10-15 km climbs in that area with nasty gradients. Just ask Baden
    Cooke about Mt. Baw Baw :)

    But the Sun Tour suffers because it's in October, and also because it's made
    use of the split stage format for quite some time (road stage in the
    morning, criterium in the afternoon). The Australians are used to it, but
    most of the Europeans can't stand it. I tend to agree, as it's better to
    have a road race with finishing circuits as crowd pleasers than to have two
    separate events. It's a hassle for everyone. Maybe this is no longer allowed
    now with the rules for a 2.3 classed race.

    I'm not saying it won't happen, but there are some big obstacles to having a
    10 day, highly ranked, well organised and well patronised Australian Tour.

    Jeff