Tour de california.

Shark425

Apr 17, 2016
I enjoyed the coverage this year of the Tour. There were some great finishes in some of the stages especially the last 3, and it was good to see American riders do well.

It seems to get better and better every year. It's a shame not many world class European riders compete yet because it doesn't exactly fit in their schedule, but that is also getting better. This year's winner Alaphilippe is a very talented rider that we will be seeing in the big Tours over the coming years as well. I hope they will add more Tours in the US, it's perfect with the long and wide roads. Here in Europe many tracks are dangerous because the roads are getting smaller and they are adding all these roundabouts and speed bumps that often cause crashes.

Reactions: Shark425
It ticks me off that they don't put the Tour of California out on the antenna stations. I'm not getting pay-extra and part of the reason that the antenna stations are losing advertising is because they don't put out any programs worth watching but sports programs.

Helloooooo - The Amgen Tour of California IS a sports program.

This is the first time I've learned of that California Tour. We used to have that local tour staged in Pangasinan province. The objective is to tap the grassroots for new talents. Although some other riders from other provinces are welcome, the focus is on the Pangasinan riders. True enough, when the big tour comes, those Pangasinan riders would take the top 5 in the rankings. More often, the team trophy is almost reserved to that team.

Unfortunately, tours like that are just part of history. A sports columnist said that sponsors are not attracted anymore because media was not cooperating. So that's a clue - media can create a hype and make possible the local pocket tours again.

While cycling in general has been getting very large increases in popularity, cycle racing in general and particularly in Europe have lost a fair amount of their audience mostly due to the drugs. This is ridiculous since riders used drugs from the earliest days of cycling. But cycling tends to attract the young and the idealistic that particularly in the US are thinking in terms of human performance and not augmented performance.

Football and baseball crowd is relatively unaffected by drug use since they tend towards the older fat guys that watch while drinking a beer and eating a three decker sandwich with extra beans.

Hopefully cycling will recover and we'll see it transmitted over the air again soon.

My cousin was in that a while ago but I never watch anything cycling related on TV. I'm a doer not a watcher haha!

ToC has really improved in the last few years. I only managed to see a couple of stages in 2016 race but what I saw was great.

Unfortunately this race clashes with the Giro - and there is only so much spectating that a fan can do!

I agree with you. California is one of the most beautiful places that you can visit. I love cycling there. I went to California last year and I must say my journey to California was wonderful. I went there with my friends and I enjoyed cycling. I would also recommend you to go to California.

I never really understood how beautiful this place was - I lived here my whole life in a dinky city - until I had some freedom and this bike. I'm in San Diego right now and this place is gorgeous, so many beautiful people...stay away from downtown though, mega dickheadopolis over here

Well this gave me a pretty good laugh because t reminds me of when I was in Oklahoma a couple of years ago for business and there was a local little fund raiser called Tour de Oklahoma and there was a picture that was really sad and depressing, unintentionally of course. I have nothing against Oklahoma, but it does not necessarily scream sight-seeing when I think of it. California seems like a much better option.

^ California is beautiful as long as you stay away from the dead middle and death valley. Even then, people come from all over the world that haven't seen deserts before to see death valley...psychopaths...

The middle of california is where all the smog is, all the dead plants are and all the broken dreams come together to have friends