Tour de Chesapeake

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Chere, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. Chere

    Chere Guest

    Anyone tried this 3 day tour in Mathews, VA? I'm thinking of this as an alternative to GOBA. Chere

    Tags:

  2. Chere

    Chere Guest

    After some prodding, my husband has agreed to ride GOBA... got the forms filled out and the check is
    written! Chere

  3. "chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone tried this 3 day tour in Mathews, VA? I'm thinking of this as an alternative to GOBA. Chere

    Apropos of nearly nothing: I am a bit dyslexic, and when I first saw this header, I read "Tour de
    Cheapskate".

    That would be fun, too.

  4. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Anyone tried this 3 day tour in Mathews, VA? I'm thinking of this as an alternative to
    >> GOBA. Chere
    >
    > Apropos of nearly nothing: I am a bit dyslexic, and when I first saw this header, I read "Tour de
    > Cheapskate".

    Me too! and my second take was "Tour de Cheasecake"! Not 'til my third look did I see it for
    what it is.

    mmmm...cheesecake rorschandt

  5. Did it last year with 2 friends. Matthews is a very small town with not a lot to do, especially at
    night. Tenting on the baseball field, $5 per night. It rained during the night resulting in quiet a
    few mini lakes in tent city. Can use school showers. Food was good. Crab feast was great but not
    enough crabs if you REALLY love crabs.

    Started the Saturday ride in the sun unfortunately 25 miles into the ride we encountered a Noah's
    arch type rain. With the wind coming off of the bay it was the most intense ride (while it was
    raining) I have every had with my faired Tour Easy. Rain made visability difficult and cross winds
    from the bay wanted to push my TE into traffic. Lucky for light traffic. Lunch was back at tent
    city. I did not continue the ride, only doing approx 40 some miles of the metric century. I was
    totally soaked and bone cold. While I took a long hot shower my friends finnished the century. We
    also noticed some mileage errors on the que sheet. The crab races were fun. One of my friends had
    the winning crab and received a free night at a local B&B.

    Most, if not all, of the money goes to support the Matthews HS athletic programs. The students were
    fantastic. They could not do enough for you.

    Our conclustion. We came, we did it, we left. Nice early family season type ride but check the
    weather forcast first. May do it again in a couple of years to see if it has improved.