Tour De Cure ride

On Dec 8, 2:45 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> John Kane wrote:
> > I twice was temporarily blinded by sweat running from the helmet pads
> > when I went to the drops. This was a major reason for giving up
> > helmets: They're too dangerous.

> Yeah, I threw away my hammer after banging my thumb, too! Damn thing was an
> accident waiting to happen!
>
> LOL

"Hammers make workshops more dangerous!"

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 14:33:40 -0600, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Does the Liddite Law in BC (or just Vancouver?) specify a certain
>>certification level, or do the police just not bother anyone who appears
>>to be wearing some type of helmet?

> The MHL is Province wide. Some jurisdictions, particularly the
> capital area, are more proactive in its enforcement. The Vancouver
> police stop people and give out warnings usually the first week of
> June. They'll write you a ticket for not wearing one if they also had
> reasons to stop you for something else.

June is coincidentally also our local "Bike Month."

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Dec 8, 2:45 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> John Kane wrote:
> > I twice was temporarily blinded by sweat running from the helmet pads
> > when I went to the drops. This was a major reason for giving up
> > helmets: They're too dangerous.

> Yeah, I threw away my hammer after banging my thumb, too! Damn thing was an
> accident waiting to happen!
>
> LOL

Sweat in the eyes is a design flaw, smashing your own thumb with
hammer is dumb, Can you see the difference, can you?

Does LOL stand for lack of learning in your case?

Marz wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2:45 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> John Kane wrote:
>>> I twice was temporarily blinded by sweat running from the helmet
>>> pads when I went to the drops. This was a major reason for giving
>>> up helmets: They're too dangerous.

>> Yeah, I threw away my hammer after banging my thumb, too! Damn
>> thing was an accident waiting to happen!
>>
>> LOL

> Sweat in the eyes is a design flaw, smashing your own thumb with
> hammer is dumb, Can you see the difference, can you?

Only a moron wouldn't realize that pressing the pads against one's head
could result in a salty eye wash.

To no longer use a helmet because of sweat in the eyes -- much less calling
it "too dangerous" (although I suspect that was a facetious comment) -- is
the very embodiment of scapegoating operator error. As would be throwing
away a perfectly uselful tool after hurting oneself with it once.

> Does LOL stand for lack of learning in your case?

I learned how to ride with a helmet and not get sweat in my eyes...oh,
within a minute of my first ride with one. Sorry that task was too much for
you even after all these years.

LOL indeed... BS

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 09:05:52 -0800 (PST), John Kane
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> One lesson I learned during summer riding is to NEVER push back on the
>> helmet while wearing it. This squeezes sweat out of the cloth headband,
>> and the sweat stings and makes it hard to see when it runs into my eyes.

>I twice was temporarily blinded by sweat running from the helmet pads
>when I went to the drops. This was a major reason for giving up
>helmets: They're too dangerous.

Stop tweezing your eyebrows!

I wear a cotton skull cap or wool toque under my squash-pot.

Ron Hardin uses Maxi-Pads.

A "light-days" pad might suffice depending on heat, humidity and your
transpiration rate.

Granted, the heat and humidity here seldom combine to produce those
hellish muggy summer days typical in cities around the Great Lakes,
Eastern seaboard and Gulf states.

I'm not even certain an absorbent sanitary pad under a terry-cloth
head band over a wicking dew rag would work there.
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 09:05:52 -0800 (PST), John Kane
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> One lesson I learned during summer riding is to NEVER push back on the
>>> helmet while wearing it. This squeezes sweat out of the cloth headband,
>>> and the sweat stings and makes it hard to see when it runs into my eyes.

>> I twice was temporarily blinded by sweat running from the helmet pads
>> when I went to the drops. This was a major reason for giving up
>> helmets: They're too dangerous.

> Stop tweezing your eyebrows!

You would need to have eyebrows like Leonid Brezhnev for that to work.

> I wear a cotton skull cap or wool toque under my squash-pot.
>
> Ron Hardin uses Maxi-Pads.

Yeah, one would sweat a lot on a Huffy.

> A "light-days" pad might suffice depending on heat, humidity and your
> transpiration rate.
>
> Granted, the heat and humidity here seldom combine to produce those
> hellish muggy summer days typical in cities around the Great Lakes,
> Eastern seaboard and Gulf states.
>
> I'm not even certain an absorbent sanitary pad under a terry-cloth
> head band over a wicking dew rag would work there.

Tell that to Bill "BS" Sornson. When the helmet pads are saturated, even
a minor angle adjustment can squeeze a lot of sweat out.

Similarly, those who "poo poo" the notion of carrying a lot of drinking
fluids on the bicycle, likely do not do long rides in the country in hot
and humid conditions. After a double metric century, my green bodysock
had large white salt stains on each side.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/tourducurewestchester62005.msnw

news:[email protected]...

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YjAlL7KlXg

I was expecting something more like this with the school bus:
<http://eddirt.frozenreality.co.uk/index.php?id=241>.

On Dec 8, 10:13 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marz wrote:

> >> Yeah, I threw away my hammer after banging my thumb, too! Damn
> >> thing was an accident waiting to happen!

> >> LOL

> > Sweat in the eyes is a design flaw, smashing your own thumb with
> > hammer is dumb, Can you see the difference, can you?

> Only a moron wouldn't realize that pressing the pads against one's head
> could result in a salty eye wash.

Except of course, I didn't press the pads against my head. I went
from the riding on the hoods to the drops. I normally do not pound my
head on the handle bars when doing this.

> To no longer use a helmet because of sweat in the eyes -- much less calling
> it "too dangerous" (although I suspect that was a facetious comment)

Not at all. Going temporily blind while descending a long curving
hill at 70 km/hr makes wearing helmet far to dangerous for me.

-- is
> the very embodiment of scapegoating operator error. As would be throwing
> away a perfectly uselful tool after hurting oneself with it once.

The helmet was serving no usefull purpose anyway and while I suppose
it could be called operator error, wearing a helmet does not sound
like operating a powertool .

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

On Dec 8, 10:54 pm, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 09:05:52 -0800 (PST), John Kane
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> One lesson I learned during summer riding is to NEVER push back on the
> >> helmet while wearing it. This squeezes sweat out of the cloth headband,
> >> and the sweat stings and makes it hard to see when it runs into my eyes.

> >I twice was temporarily blinded by sweat running from the helmet pads
> >when I went to the drops. This was a major reason for giving up
> >helmets: They're too dangerous.

> Stop tweezing your eyebrows!
>
> I wear a cotton skull cap or wool toque under my squash-pot.
>
> Ron Hardin uses Maxi-Pads.
>
> A "light-days" pad might suffice depending on heat, humidity and your
> transpiration rate.
>
> Granted, the heat and humidity here seldom combine to produce those
> hellish muggy summer days typical in cities around the Great Lakes,
> Eastern seaboard and Gulf states.
>
> I'm not even certain an absorbent sanitary pad under a terry-cloth
> head band over a wicking dew rag would work there.
> --
> zk

It's much simpler just to not wear styrofoam hats. :) Cheaper too.

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:

> After a double metric century, my green bodysock
> had large white salt stains on each side.

Heh. You reminded me of the Trailer Park Boys
episode: The Green *******.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 08:57:48 -0800 (PST), John Kane
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It's much simpler just to not wear styrofoam hats. :) Cheaper too.

My not wearing a helmet could result in a $75 fine. I hate gambling.

It's a talisman more than anything. I've worn one since long before
our MHL. The law has only created the exaggerated image of cycling
being dangerous and that non-helmeted cyclists are criminals.

It's always represented to me a reminder to cover my ass, so to
speak. That I've never used it in its intended capacity could be
taken as testament that it works.

Wow! Maybe it even bears magical properties beyond those
extraordinary powers claimed by the proselytising Liddites.

We need more data.
--
zk

Quoth Edward Dolan the Great:

> I am not much in favor of these fund raising type of bike rides. Unless you
> are good at hitting up your friends and neighbors, they tend to be quite
> expensive. Also, I have never been able to figure out what my having a good
> time on a bike ride has to do with raising money for a cause however worthy.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/thons

Sheldon "Ride For Fun" Brown
| Love at its best means marriage, and it is |
| altogether the most beautiful thing in life |
| -- William Dean Howells |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

They let Brown out again.

Listen xsjhedlon, while you're out, try EMERSON'S QUOTES on the
opening page.

On Dec 8, 9:13 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marz wrote:

> >> Yeah, I threw away my hammer after banging my thumb, too! Damn
> >> thing was an accident waiting to happen!

> >> LOL

> > Sweat in the eyes is a design flaw, smashing your own thumb with
> > hammer is dumb, Can you see the difference, can you?

> Only a moron wouldn't realize that pressing the pads against one's head
> could result in a salty eye wash.
>
> To no longer use a helmet because of sweat in the eyes -- much less calling
> it "too dangerous" (although I suspect that was a facetious comment) -- is
> the very embodiment of scapegoating operator error. As would be throwing
> away a perfectly uselful tool after hurting oneself with it once.
>
> > Does LOL stand for lack of learning in your case?

> I learned how to ride with a helmet and not get sweat in my eyes...oh,
> within a minute of my first ride with one. Sorry that task was too much for
> you even after all these years.
>
> LOL indeed... BS

I have thrown away a helmet because it was designed badly and allowed
a stream of sweat to flow over my eyes, I bought a better one that
directed the sweat down the sides of my head.

A bad tool is a bad tool and, yes, a good workmen should never blame
his tools. Cycle helmets on the whole are poorly designed tools that
do a barely adequate job. Their benefits, in my opinion, do outweigh
the risks and there are risks in wearing a helmet. Sweat in the eyes
at the wrong moment is one of them.

How did you learn to avoid getting sweat in your eyes in under one
minute of your first ride. Were you sweaty before you get on the bike?

Marz wrote:
{snip}

> How did you learn to avoid getting sweat in your eyes in under one
> minute of your first ride. Were you sweaty before you get on the bike?

I know this offends the sensibility (such that it is) of the AHZ crowd, but
I used -- gasp! -- COMMON SENSE. In this case, it was fairly obvious that
wearing a -- gasp! -- SWEAT BAND would prevent -- gasp! -- SWEAT from
pouring down from the helmet and into my eyes. Had worked like a charm from
the very first ride.

It's -- gasp! -- really not that complicated... B(gasp!)S

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:

> Wow! Maybe it even bears magical properties beyond those
> extraordinary powers claimed by the proselytising Liddites.

Along with my rain cape, I also lost my magic
helmet cover -- the one that stops it (the weather)
from raining.

Oh well. That thing should never have been within
mortal grasp in the first place.

Tonight was a beauty for riding. It (the weather)
tried to freeze but failed. The asphalt streets
had all these magic pixie dust sparkles in it.
For a moment I thought it (the weather) was beginning
to rain, but soon ascertained I was just riding through
half-frozen dew falling out the air.

Northbound on Heather from King Edward (or was it 33rd?)
I saw some big culverts on the streetside, waiting to
be installed. I considered riding through one but
quickly shone that idea on. Fearing black ice, I took
the hill down from King Ed very gingerly.

There appears to be some sort of high-falootin' tour
being set up for the Canada Line in Cambie Village.
The Choices Market there has some nice grapefruits --
the big ones, not those stoopid, stunted/runted, li'l
navel orange-sized ones.

I forsook my bucket to wear my Kerrisdale Lumber hat
instead. I should have worn my ear-warming toque.
In Cambie Village there was a Vancouver Traffic Authority
cop car blocking the street. I walked my bike past the
cops until I was out of sight, up the lane across from
the Starbucks @ Cambie & 19th.

cheers,
Tom

--

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Marz wrote:
> {snip}
>
>> How did you learn to avoid getting sweat in your eyes in under one
>> minute of your first ride. Were you sweaty before you get on the bike?

> I know this offends the sensibility (such that it is) of the AHZ crowd, but
> I used -- gasp! -- COMMON SENSE. In this case, it was fairly obvious that
> wearing a -- gasp! -- SWEAT BAND would prevent -- gasp! -- SWEAT from
> pouring down from the helmet and into my eyes. Had worked like a charm from
> the very first ride.
>
> It's -- gasp! -- really not that complicated... B(gasp!)S

Mr. Sornson should be aware that if there is room for a sweatband below
the helmet on his forehead, then he is wearing the helmet too far back
on his head.