Tour De France 2013

I don't post much anymor, but I lurk. I have an observation about this year's tour. I don't have nearly the experience you guys have in watching this race. I haven't missed one since 2004 when I started riding seriously, but before that the only names I could have mentioned to you were Lemond and Armstrong.

Out of the tours I've seen however, this is significantly more exciting from several aspects:

1. There isn't a team that operate as robots. Seemingly all of them have had both good and bad days. It makes the racing exciting, I think I may have watched my first real attack in the Pyrenees since I began watching the tour. The sprints are even a question, more so than recently anyway.
2. Contador looks human, far more so than when I've observed him in the past, both in the TT and climbing. He used to look like Armstrong, Ultrich, and at times..the Schlecks...climb and accelerate pretty much at will, at least in relative terms.
3. Evans is looking a little weaker as well, but he's past his peak isn't he? He has (to me) always struggled a bit on the steep long stuff, but his TT has fallen as well.

Overall, the race looks different. It doesn't appear to be totally dominated like it has before. Froome, well he's the one looking a little inhuman these days, so I think it will be interesting to follow his results for a while. Regardless, he has certainly kept it exciting racing as far as I can see...along with Quintana, Porte, and many others. I think he has it in the bag barring a major blow up, but it's still interesting...because he may attack anyway instead of moving into protection mode.

Starting last year, I became interested in Sagan. He wins sprints and climbs, although probably not the fastest at either...he seems to be very well rounded. He may be my favorite rider these days.

Originally Posted by Mansmind .

Starting last year, I became interested in Sagan. He wins sprints and climbs, although probably not the fastest at either...he seems to be very well rounded. He may be my favorite rider these days.
Sagan is a sponsor's dream, could be anything from being caught from being in the days break, or finishing a training ride or coping a feel on the podium - his antics go viral and fans love him. Cycling needs dudes like Sagan
cool.png

carbon ass said:
Wiggins hit the road in  2001  He could not compete with the best riders in a ITT until he joined sky. How many years was was that ?  Froome joined Barlow World and never won or got near winning a thing he came 84th in the tour and  came 36th in the giro . As soon  as  he   joined Sky  he became a GC contender . Both riders are not new riders , there results have been average to say the least in pro cycling on the road  [ Wiggins a great track rider no dispute]   You don't  all of a sudden become  that good . Do you think Contador and co are at home having a cup of tea while Sky are Training? Logic dictates that their results are suspicious .   Whatever it is they are taking I want some .
You forget that Wiggo has been one of the best pursuiters in the world for a number of years - riding at a speed that Cancellara would have had a hard time keeping up with. His track background is not uncommon in Team Sky - many of the lads have been involved in setting world records on the boards prior to dedicated road racing. Porte almost won a medal at the 2010 worlds TT when riding for Saxo.. Comeback with some evidence or put forth a good arguement that might contradict the stellar near decade of results most of the Sky riders have attained prior to Wiggos Tour win.

Mansmind said:
Starting last year, I became interested in Sagan. He wins sprints and climbs, although probably not the fastest at either...he seems to be very well rounded.  He may be my favorite rider these days.
Sagan's reminiscent of all-arounders from years past, riders that seemingly aren't in great number these days, and that makes him an appealing rider to watch. I think he's easily the most exciting rider in the peloton these days.

Originally Posted by steve .

Ever wondered hows the locals celebrate the Tour de France?
The restaurant owner is correct. The Aussie TV should have at least tried to speak even a few words in French.
The locals appreciate even an attempt to speak their language!

Originally Posted by steve .

Sagan is a sponsor's dream, could be anything from being caught from being in the days break, or finishing a training ride or coping a feel on the podium - his antics go viral and fans love him. Cycling needs dudes like Sagan
cool.png

big-smile.png
big-smile.png
That's some way to park your bike!

Froome will win by 2+ minutes today
tongue.png
I hope he puts that pesky contador back in his place.

Both Cantador and Froome rode well today. TJ put in a good performance also.

Larry ten Dam and Belkie had...problems. The Barrier slam was awesome though! Great recovery by Molema to save the ride.

A very strong effort from the white jersey. Kid's got moxie. Peraud...ouch!

vspa said:
what happened to Cadel, almost last by 8 minutes ?
There's no doubt he's tired, at least. After all, he did ride the Giro, and he's now one of the older guys in the peloton.

Three very tough climbing days remain in this TDF.
The advantage remains with Froome although the other podium places might change.

limerickman said:
Three very tough climbing days remain in this TDF. The advantage remains with Froome although the other podium places might change.
i heard that the descent towards the 2nd Alpe D'Huez climb of the day is an under-par road, coupled with the fact that it would be an strategic time of the stage to attack, we might see a real spectacle tomorrow !

Reactions: limerickman
There is a 90% chance of rain tomorrow in Bourg d'Oisans. Rain would make the descent from the Col de Sarenne interesting to say the least. Froome's already let it be known that he's not looking forward to that and thinks rain should result in an automatic nullification after the first ascent of the Alpe. If I were Albert, I'd be offering sacrifices to the gods so that it would rain.

Video of the descent of Col de Sarenne: [video]http://vimeo.com/70139351[/video] As one famous, happy prankster once said, "Why so serious?"

Originally Posted by alienator .

Video of the descent of Col de Sarenne:

As one famous, happy prankster once said, "Why so serious?"
If its raining that will quickly get serious
stress.png

Even the videographer went wide on one turn and left the pavement in favor of the grass for a bit. No wipeout, though.

As for the roads, they look pretty normal for county roads to me!

huge number of fans on D'Huez today. Very difficult to ride that stage with the number of people out there.