Tour De France 2013

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by limerickman, Jun 28, 2013.

1. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

And all of those waving flags being manned at various levels of inebriation. Another good day for Richie Porte, what a workhorse that guy is. Riblon will probably never have to pay for another meal from a Paris restaurant again.

2. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Gutted for Teejay, delighted for Christophe.

3. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Agreed, tough to see Teejay falter so close to the finish after such a big day but great victory for Riblon.

4. gyorgyigabor

gyorgyigabor New Member

Hello !

Alpe d'Huez is a climb to love; one of the most historical ascent of the Tour de France.
    I attache / show my video about La Marmotte bicyclemarathon (174 km + 4900 m with Alpe d'Huez finish), when a cyclist can experience to cycle it in a cycing field and to experience the support of fans, people along the road. That was fantastic feeling [​IMG]
    In the video: at 2nd min starts the climb and by the 6th min can seen the situation when fans shouted to me to support...

Best regards,
    Gabor

5. ambal

ambal Active Member

oh man that descent was dodgy! riblon was very lucky to run off the road where he did, what a win! very exciting stage, twice up the alpe was a great idea, fans get a double take, its great for TV, the sport wins.

6. Scott2468

Scott2468 Member

I cant believe they raced down that road. We rode this (opposite direction) last September. Before the stage, I talked to my cycling mates. We were sure they would have laid new hot mix. They didnt! The road is extremely rutted & loose with major cracks & pot holes. Here are a few images. Even these dont give the surface justice. I was also hoping to see them fly through Mizoen, a small village near the bottom of the descent. The only road winds through the village. It has very narrow pinches with buildings jutting out into the street itself. I didnt see this. Was it in the coverage? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

limerickman and steve like this.
  7. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah it's not ideal for a huge race like the tour, but I guess they have to race to the conditions. Those photos are unreal!

8. Scott2468

Scott2468 Member

Thanks. Yes it was an epic cycling holiday. We climbed them all. Tonight I will re-live Glandon & Madeleine. That was also a memorable day with some decrepid roads. We climbed the Lacets of Montvernier then onto col de Chaussy. This goat track then plumetted back down to the bottom of the Madeleine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Madeleine probably has the best surface anywhere. The descent was a hoot. 30km without a peddle stroke or hitting the brakes.

By the way Steve, I don't know if you remember but 12 months ago you stated in a post you wished to cycle the French Alpes. I invited you. As a cyclist, you missed a great holiday.

limerickman likes this.
  9. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

they raced through a village near the bottom of the descent Scott, and yes, it was tight and narrow.

10. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Cool pictures, Scott! That road does look pretty crappy...especially for a world class race. It's better than the sterrati of Strade Bianche though.

11. vspa

vspa Active Member

4 people for 2 podium places separated by 47 seconds on a climbing finish tomorrow !

12. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Today's stage was very very interesting.
    Rui Costa timed his break to perfection to get away and stay away.

I felt sorry for Pierre Roland - he rode a super stage and picked up lots of points for the KOM competition.

It is going to be intriguing to see how the GC places 2-5 shakeup. Rodriguez has been getting stronger and stronger. Quintana has managed to maintain his form which I find very impressive.
    Contador? I reckon if it had not rained in the last 40kms of today's stage he would have tried to descend like a demon to try to gain time.

Froome looked a little bit tired today. He owes Porte a lot for all the help he has provided throughout this race. Porte has been phenomenal.

Tomorrow's stage should be compelling.

13. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

have to admit that sky have done another sterling example of working their plan on the peloton. from the first climbs in week two, froome has shown himself to be the strongest individual with a team suited for protection in the mountains. makes us all look like geniuses when we were stating that last year he was better than wiggins. that stated, this trip around france makes me think that brailsford has to consider letting wiggins be the one to move while brailsford looks to sky's future as froome and porte.

14. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

So, where would Wiggins end up, and more importantly what would he bring to a team?

15. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

just brainstrorming the idea, since many of us figured that froome was most likely to bolt from sky when his contract ended, but i have to say that wiggins falling star (and giro ride) puts him right back with wigan, if wigan will take him back.

16. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Ouch.

17. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I can't see SKY being able to accommodate both Wiggo and Froome.

And in that circumstance Wiggo, give his age, will probably be under pressure to leave if he won't commit to helping Froome.

Separately I understand that David Walsh may well have some revelations about the goings on at SKY, in next Sunday's Times newspaper[​IMG]

18. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I'm sure Walsh will have something to say - he's not said anything of note during the entire Tour so he might as well save it until the end. I got the impression months ago that Wiggo was done as a Grand Tour rider at Sky. He stated that the sacrifices made to win the Tour were just too much.

19. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I'm sure Walsh will have something to say - he's not said anything of note during the entire Tour so he might as well save it until the end. I got the impression months ago that Wiggo was done as a Grand Tour rider at Sky. He stated that the sacrifices made to win the Tour were just too much.

20. vspa

vspa Active Member

i don't think there is big drama inside SKY, they probably have british management know-how, they went step by step with Wiggins until he was crowned in the TDF, they saw how Froome was a better option for this years parcours and they crowned him the winner this time, no big deal, sometimes there are simple decisions for complex problems,