Tour De France 2014

Originally Posted by steve

Yeah i've often wondered if it come down to good luck or skill. Organised chaos?

What can you expect since most of them are tourists.:)

Originally Posted by jhuskey
What can you expect since most of them are tourists.:)
No idea!

What I do wanna know though, is who do you think will occupy the 2nd and 3rd step of the podium in paris?

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Levi on the second step!

Ok...I'm awake now!
yeah don't reckon
wink.png

Originally Posted by mpre53

I gave him stage 4. I was short by one.
big-smile.png

Trek claims that he has a torn meniscus and either an ACL/MCL tear. I haven't yet seen the crash itself, but when the camera panned back to him, he was sitting upright on his ass.

He got back on the bike and rode to the finish. I know that soft tissue damage can have a delayed onset of pain, but every time I've seen a football or hockey player tear up a knee, they're on the surface writing in pain and holding their injured knee.

So I guess the pool now revolves on how far back in the GC will Frank be when he abandons.
Well not to be argumentative here, but the Meniscus and ACL tear can have delayed
Originally Posted by steve

nah just face planted the road training when I was about 20, broke it up near my left ear so wasn't to bad.
Face planted myself, didn't break my jaw, just busted both lips and a tooth. Busted my right knee up. (Perfect three point landing, face and both knees.)

The last knee injury I had was an ACL and both Meniscus. I got up stood there a moment and knew I was injured. I skied about 1000 feet and limped in. I sat for about an hour and then drove home by that time I had to get out of the car and crawl up the steps. The worst issue is that the Meniscus were torn and folded which made it impossible to straighten my knee.
After surgery I was back on the bike in two weeks. I do not recommend this but it is what I did.

It is starting to appear that the last guy without an injury will win but I would like to see what happens in stage 13 before making a lot of predictions. I want to see what Porte can do as the GC guy as opposed to being the guy that burns himself out supprting Frrome. Valverde is only fair in the TT as compared to others and Nabali seems to do better in mountain TTs and the one coming up is reasonably flat.
There is still a lot of racing to be done

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-crashed-twice-on-one-descent

Alberto flipped over a pothole and now they are saying he crashed TWICE on the descent, but they're sticking to the story that the frame was trashed When Bike Racks Collide!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-crashed-twice-on-one-descent

Alberto flipped over a pothole and now they are saying he crashed TWICE on the descent, but they're sticking to the story that the frame was trashed When Bike Racks Collide!
He was the #2 contender when the race started and no one had a camera on him at the time. As opposing counsel has remarked before " don't you find that convenient"?

Uh oh! Sue Contador!!!

The frame in the pic looks far too clean to have been Contador's race day/crashed bike UNLESS Spesh's secret squirrels cleaned the daylights out of it before that pic was taken.

At least THREE accounts of how the frame was damaged and if the DID snag another team's bike rack there should be damage evidence to the other squad's bikes and/or rack. The seat does appear to be cattywampus, suggesting an impact that caused it to be rotated in the seat tube.

Spectator's at the crash site were immediately reporting Contador's frame was broken. 'Why' would they do that WITHOUT reporting one of the cars having crushed it (wrong sort of frame damage anyways)? A snag? Not sure of the type of damage one would see in that sort of event.

In either case, the bike is near spotless in the picture and even if it lived the day on a roof rack it would be filthy from the caravan's spray.

Thanks for the link, mpre53. I can't wait to hear all the details of Spesh explaining how it wasn't their fault! Contador...so tough only Specialized could stop him from a podium!
The mystery has apparently been solved. Bottom line, Spesh now admits that his back-up Tarmac lost a tug of war to a Bianchi on top of the Belkin team car.
big-smile.png

I think the current chronology was, Conti crashed originally when he reached for an energy bar in his jersey, while on a fast descent and hit a pothole riding one-handed (why he couldn't wait until he was back on the flats isn't clear). Other riders stated that he was trying to jump Van Der Brocke on the descent when this happened. His primary bike was damaged, and since Roche was nearby, and the team car wasn't, Roche gave him his Venge (with the McLaren paint scheme) and waited for the team car. While it was stopped loading up Conti's #1 bike, and getting Roche a back-up bike, Belkin's team car made a close pass, and a bike on their roof locked horns with Conti's back-up ride, and pulled the frame apart. There are pictures of the wrecked bike hanging from the bars of one of the Bianchis (apparently undamaged, by the way) on the rack. Conti rode Roche's bike a few km, and then stopped, got off, and waited for medical help. He didn't crash Roche's bike, just stopped and laid it down. Then after his knee was bandaged, he rode off on an un-numbered Tarmac, until he withdrew.

So Italian branded Chinese plastic beats American branded same stuff one on one.

Get Specialized. We gave Italy its only recent combat victory.
love.png

What are the odds of that happening when contadore crashes

Don't know. They drive on the right in France, and Team cars generally pull over to the right when they stop to swap bikes. I saw a picture of Roche standing off the right side of the road with his arm raised, holding Contador's crashed bike, signaling the team car. I can't imagine Belkin's driver trying to squeeze between Roche and the Tinkoff car, if it pulled over to the left. I mean, I see the photo, but figuring it all out is still a puzzle. And Spesh didn't help matters any by offering 3 or 4 other explanations before that. It seemed to me that they were more concerned with image than Conti's well being.

Quote by JH for the prosecution:
As opposing counsel has remarked before " don't you find that convenient"?"

In defense of the sefense, the weather was socked in pretty good, there was lots of tree cover on the descent and there was a couple of TV shots of grounded helicopters (although at least one TV helo WAS flying).

Besides, this Tour is all about Tommy Voeckler! All Tommy! All The Time!

His most recent exploits earned him six new girlfriends!

Get Specialized. We gave Italy its only recent combat victory.
love.png

The people rest, your honor!

DAMN!!!!! Alberto's bike attacked that...WTF IS that POS? A Skoda? The grill looks like a '50 Nash Hudson.

Well, I guess I can tell the fast dude I train with that's it's safe to get back on his Tarmac...the one with the small crack in the left seat stay near the dropout. The one that was a freebie replacement for his first Tarmac. The one that did crack.

So...that WAS the spare bike that was ripped from the roof rack?

Quote by MPRE53:
"So Italian branded Chinese plastic beats American branded same stuff one on one."

Yoeleo!

The people rest, your honor!

DAMN!!!!! Alberto's bike attacked that...WTF IS that POS? A Skoda? The grill looks like a '50 Nash Hudson.

Well, I guess I can tell the fast dude I train with that's it's safe to get back on his Tarmac...the one with the small crack in the left seat stay near the dropout. The one that was a freebie replacement for his first Tarmac. The one that did crack.

So...that WAS the spare bike that was ripped from the roof rack?
It's a Czech BMW. :)