Tour De France 2014

Originally Posted by classic1
It doesn't matter. He won. They were in the race. Nibali won because he deserved to win.
I read an article today somewhere that watered down his win and your text above would have been the perfect comment to troll the haters
grin.png

Was that the one on Ocana in 73? People who reckon he won due to absences are spastic. Ocana would have annihilated Gimondi and likely beaten merckx on that form. He slaughtered the rest and it was payback from when he was slaughtering merckx in 71 when he crashed in genuinely apocalyptic conditions. The dumbarse would have won if he had backed off on that descent.

Originally Posted by classic1

Was that the one on Ocana in 73? People who reckon he won due to absences are spastic. Ocana would have annihilated Gimondi and likely beaten merckx on that form. He slaughtered the rest and it was payback from when he was slaughtering merckx in 71 when he crashed in genuinely apocalyptic conditions. The dumbarse would have won if he had backed off on that descent.
Yeah thats the one!

still for all that, had contador remained, his abilities on the slopes and a relative even match (i'd be tipping contador) at the itt, i'd imagine contador would have given nibali a real test. that being said, nibali rode majestically and answered every challenge laid before him by valverde and the others.

Originally Posted by slovakguy
still for all that, had contador remained, his abilities on the slopes and a relative even match (i'd be tipping contador) at the itt, i'd imagine contador would have given nibali a real test. that being said, nibali rode majestically and answered every challenge laid before him by valverde and the others.
Pretty much my thoughts also. Contador appreared to be able to match anyone on the climbs and I think he would have nailed the ITT. Of course it's not about speed it's about consistency for 3 weeks.

Originally Posted by jhuskey

Of course it's not about speed it's about consistency for 3 weeks.
that and a share of luck--thinking of evans' attempt to win the gc a few years ago riding his guts out with broken bones.