Tour de France (Grenoble in July)

Telford

Guest
Hello,

If anyone have been to Grenoble around the Tour time,

can you tell me how busy you expect Grenoble to be, in terms of finding inexpensive hotels, on
short-term notice. I will be in France for 10 or so days before I head over there but not sure exact
date. it will be around July 7th or 8th, no later than 10th.

(I know with the Tour de France arriving in nearby Bourg d'Oisan on 13th and it will be packed then
but would it also affect hotel bookings 5-6 days before the Tour arrival?)

Thank you very much.

(Telford) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If anyone have been to Grenoble around the Tour time,
>
> can you tell me how busy you expect Grenoble to be, in terms of finding inexpensive hotels, on
> short-term notice. I will be in France for 10 or so days before I head over there but not sure
> exact date. it will be around July 7th or 8th, no later than 10th.
>
> (I know with the Tour de France arriving in nearby Bourg d'Oisan on 13th and it will be packed
> then but would it also affect hotel bookings 5-6 days before the Tour arrival?)
>
> Thank you very much.

As a rule.

which the Tour stops.

Get about 1 hour out of range, and you will be fine.

We once had to camp inside of a christian revival campground. We got out of dodge before sunup.

I understand it would be a madhouse a day or two before the Tour arrives in town but, I was just
trying to find out how it would be 5-6 days before. I won't be there at the time of Tour arrival on
13th but on 8 and 9th. I just wasn't sure how early the Tour crowd start setting up in certain
town. Thanks.

[email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> (Telford) wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > If anyone have been to Grenoble around the Tour time,
> >
> > can you tell me how busy you expect Grenoble to be, in terms of finding inexpensive hotels, on
> > short-term notice. I will be in France for 10 or so days before I head over there but not sure
> > exact date. it will be around July 7th or 8th, no later than 10th.
> >
> > (I know with the Tour de France arriving in nearby Bourg d'Oisan on 13th and it will be packed
> > then but would it also affect hotel bookings 5-6 days before the Tour arrival?)
> >
> > Thank you very much.
>
> As a rule.
>

> which the Tour stops.
>
> Get about 1 hour out of range, and you will be fine.
>
> We once had to camp inside of a christian revival campground. We got out of dodge before sunup.

You shouldn't have any problem 5 or 6 days before the event. We were in Grenoble in 2001 when the
time trial started in town and we were able to find a hotel the day of the race. Grenoble was a very
pleasnat surprise, much nicer than I anticipated and its a fairly large city with lots of hotels to
absorb the tour contingent. The smaller towns on the Tour route are a different story and are
usually booked months in advance. We camped at the top of Alp d' Huez in 2001 and had a blast
hanging out with full tilt partying Dutch and Belgian fans. There is usually not more than a day
advance set up. The Tour is a logistical marvel. It is really amazing to see how big the production
is and how fast they tear down and set up.

news:<[email protected]>...

[email protected] (Telford) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Hello,
>
> If anyone have been to Grenoble around the Tour time,
>
> can you tell me how busy you expect Grenoble to be, in terms of finding inexpensive hotels, on
> short-term notice. I will be in France for 10 or so days before I head over there but not sure
> exact date. it will be around July 7th or 8th, no later than 10th.

It's been a while, so things may have changed, but I don't think you'll have a tough time finding
space 5-6 days ahead in Grenoble. It's not a small town, like many of the Tour stops. I was in
Grenoble for the '92 Tour, and I just stayed in the local youth hostel for the night.

"sessamoid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Telford) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > If anyone have been to Grenoble around the Tour time,
> >
> > can you tell me how busy you expect Grenoble to be, in terms of finding inexpensive hotels, on
> > short-term notice. I will be in France for 10 or so days before I head over there but not sure
> > exact date. it will be around July 7th or 8th, no later than 10th.
>

> It's been a while, so things may have changed, but I don't think you'll have a tough time finding
> space 5-6 days ahead in Grenoble. It's not a small town, like many of the Tour stops. I was in
> Grenoble for the '92 Tour, and I just stayed in the local youth hostel for the night.

I went two years ago..........no problem.....plenty in Grenoble for tourist.....