Tour de France Jackets

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Daniel Crispin, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. Ok stupid question but it's been bothering me and I know you guys will know
    ;)

    I have been following the Tour de France for the first time this year....

    What do the Jackets mean??? I am pretty sure Yellow is for Tour Leader (one
    with the
    most points)... other than that?

    What is the green and white and doted jackets?

    Tags:

  2. khill

    khill Guest

    Daniel Crispin wrote:
    > Ok stupid question but it's been bothering me and I know you guys will know
    > ;)
    >
    > I have been following the Tour de France for the first time this year....
    >
    > What do the Jackets mean??? I am pretty sure Yellow is for Tour Leader (one
    > with the
    > most points)... other than that?
    >
    > What is the green and white and doted jackets?

    http://www.trekbikes.com/tour_de_france/about_tdf/tour_101.jsp

    - khill

  3. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Ok stupid question but it's been bothering me and I know you guys will know
    > ;)
    >
    > I have been following the Tour de France for the first time this year....
    >
    > What do the Jackets mean??? I am pretty sure Yellow is for Tour Leader (one
    > with the
    > most points)... other than that?
    >
    > What is the green and white and doted jackets?

    They're jerseys, not jackets, but here you go:

    Yellow is the overall leader on *time* (lowest total elapsed time,
    including bonuses).

    Green is the *points* leader, based on intermediate sprints and final
    finishing order, normally won by a sprinter.

    Polka-dot is the best climber.

    White is the best "young" rider, which for the TdF means < 25 years old.

    If one person is the leader in multiple categories, they wear them in
    the order of yellow, green, polka-dot and white, with the runners-up
    wearing the other one(s).

    newsgroups if possible).

  4. Bob Anderson

    Bob Anderson Guest

  5. Daniel Crispin wrote:

    > What do the Jackets mean??? I am pretty sure Yellow is for Tour Leader (one with the most points)...

    No, that is incorrect. The Yellow one is the most visible to
    motorists following the Tour, so it is put on the slowest rider to
    keep the motorists from speeding up and running over the race.

  6. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:23:46 -0500, Zippy the Pinhead
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Daniel Crispin wrote:
    >
    >> What do the Jackets mean??? I am pretty sure Yellow is for Tour Leader (one with the most points)...

    >No, that is incorrect. The Yellow one is the most visible to
    >motorists following the Tour, so it is put on the slowest rider to
    >keep the motorists from speeding up and running over the race.

    Well what jersey do they give the guy who has to run into the woods
    and go behind a tree the most?

    -B

  7. Thanks! ;)

    If they describe the jerseys on the official website, it's well hidden.
    Good think Trek is there.... ;)

    "khill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Daniel Crispin wrote:
    > > Ok stupid question but it's been bothering me and I know you guys will

    know
    > > ;)
    > >
    > > I have been following the Tour de France for the first time this

    year....

    > > What do the Jackets mean??? I am pretty sure Yellow is for Tour Leader

    (one
    > > with the
    > > most points)... other than that?
    > >
    > > What is the green and white and doted jackets?
    > >

    > http://www.trekbikes.com/tour_de_france/about_tdf/tour_101.jsp
    >
    > - khill

  8. Ahhhhhh! ;)

    "Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Daniel Crispin wrote:
    >
    > > What do the Jackets mean??? I am pretty sure Yellow is for Tour Leader

    (one with the most points)...

    > No, that is incorrect. The Yellow one is the most visible to
    > motorists following the Tour, so it is put on the slowest rider to
    > keep the motorists from speeding up and running over the race.

  9. "Badger_South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:23:46 -0500, Zippy the Pinhead
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Daniel Crispin wrote:
    > >
    > >> What do the Jackets mean??? I am pretty sure Yellow is for Tour Leader

    (one with the most points)...

    > >No, that is incorrect. The Yellow one is the most visible to
    > >motorists following the Tour, so it is put on the slowest rider to
    > >keep the motorists from speeding up and running over the race.

    > Well what jersey do they give the guy who has to run into the woods
    > and go behind a tree the most?
    >
    > -B

    Probably depends on what he does there... could be brown or dark yellow ;)

  10. Zippy the Pinhead wrote:
    > Daniel Crispin wrote:
    >

    >>What do the Jackets mean??? I am pretty sure Yellow is for Tour Leader (one with the most points)...

    > No, that is incorrect. The Yellow one is the most visible to
    > motorists following the Tour, so it is put on the slowest rider to
    > keep the motorists from speeding up and running over the race.

    And the spotted jersey is for the guy voted by the other cyclists to be
    most likely to become a circus entertainer.

    ;)

    --
    the black rose
    GO LANCE GO!!!

  11. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    the black rose wrote:

    > And the spotted jersey is for the guy voted by the other cyclists to
    > be most likely to become a circus entertainer.

    Aren't you late for your Lurkers Anonymous meeting?!? :)

    Bill "we've unleashed a monster" S.

  12. S o r n i wrote:
    > Aren't you late for your Lurkers Anonymous meeting?!? :)
    >
    > Bill "we've unleashed a monster" S.

    Har. You missed my intro in the Zefal Isotherm water bottle thread. :-D

    --
    the black rose
    GO LANCE GO!!!

  13. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Badger_South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Well what jersey do they give the guy who has to run into the woods
    > and go behind a tree the most?

    That's the pee green jersey.

  14. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 15 Jul 2004 18:37:38 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> That's the pee green jersey.

    >pee ain't green mike, it's usually yellow.

    Mike has been with a few too many women.
    --
    Rick Onanian