Tour de France Jerseys ????

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The Real Slim S, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Hello, Please correct me, I think they are yellow=overall leader, green=best sprinter and
    dotted=best in the mountains. Anyone ever won all of them in one tour?

    Another thing. How would our hills in England rate to those in the Tour? Particularly ones in the
    Midlands - you know the sort of 15% one mile long ones? Do the mountains in the tour go on and on
    and on AND are incredibly steep? Anyone like to compare them to what they have done in the UK?

    Interested.....

    Slim

    Tags:

  2. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    The Real Slim Shady wrote:

    > Hello, Please correct me, I think they are yellow=overall leader, green=best sprinter and
    > dotted=best in the mountains. Anyone ever won all of them in one tour?

    Eddy Mercx.

    > Another thing. How would our hills in England rate to those in the Tour? Particularly ones in the
    > Midlands - you know the sort of 15% one mile long ones? Do the mountains in the tour go on and on
    > and on AND are incredibly steep? Anyone like to compare them to what they have done in the UK?

    In the Midlands, the only one I know well is Fish Hill (just outside of Evesham). I have been told
    it would be rated about a category 2 climb. We just do not have high enough mountains in the UK to
    get true Hors Categorie climbs.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

  3. Wow, So a category 4 is a vertical wall then!!!!

    How does the category system work? For example, anyone know that hill coming out of Robin Hoods Bay
    in Yorkshire? Or what about the climb out of Weymouth heading toward Lyme Regis. Both of those are
    bastards since they are steep and long; even in the car you have to drop down into second!!! How
    would they rate?

    Slim

    "Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The Real Slim Shady wrote:
    >
    > > Hello, Please correct me, I think they are yellow=overall leader, green=best sprinter and
    > > dotted=best in the mountains. Anyone ever won all of them
    in
    > > one tour?
    >
    > Eddy Mercx.
    >
    > > Another thing. How would our hills in England rate to those in the
    Tour?
    > > Particularly ones in the Midlands - you know the sort of 15% one mile
    long
    > > ones? Do the mountains in the tour go on and on and on AND are
    incredibly
    > > steep? Anyone like to compare them to what they have done in the UK?
    >
    > In the Midlands, the only one I know well is Fish Hill (just outside of Evesham). I have been told
    > it would be rated about a category 2 climb. We just do not have high enough mountains in the UK to
    > get true Hors Categorie climbs.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Price
    >
    > http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com
    >
    > Conscientious objection is hard work in an economic war.

  4. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    The Real Slim Shady wrote:

    > Wow, So a category 4 is a vertical wall then!!!!

    Only if you ride along the top of it, and its not too steep. The numbers get smaller as the
    difficulty increases, until you go past 1, when you just get Hors Categorie.

    > How does the category system work?

    A google search here and rec.bicycles.racing will get you lots of possible ways. Some of them may
    even be similar to how they're actually worked out.

    > For example, anyone know that hill coming out of Robin Hoods Bay in Yorkshire? Or what about the
    > climb out of Weymouth heading toward Lyme Regis. Both of those are bastards since they are steep
    > and long; even in the car you have to drop down into second!!! How would they rate?

    Um, sorry, don't know. You could get an estimate by counting contour lines crossed per mile and
    compare that to something known...

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

  5. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Yellow for the rider who completes the course in the fastest time Green for the winner on point.
    Points awarded fot placings at finished and intermediate points Polka Dot for the points awarded at
    summits of climbs

    Alpine and Pyrenean Cols are usually much longer than British hills, often up to 10 miles in length.
    Val Thorens used in 1994 was about 18 miles long. Not as steep though. For example the Col de
    Tourmalet rarely goes over 10% but the summit is 2115m above sea level, the climb from Luz Saint
    Saveur is 12 miles long. Most Pyrenean Cols are around 8% most of the way.

    "The Real Slim Shady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, Please correct me, I think they are yellow=overall leader, green=best sprinter and
    > dotted=best in the mountains. Anyone ever won all of them in one tour?
    >
    > Another thing. How would our hills in England rate to those in the Tour? Particularly ones in the
    > Midlands - you know the sort of 15% one mile long ones? Do the mountains in the tour go on and on
    > and on AND are incredibly steep? Anyone like to compare them to what they have done in the UK?
    >
    > Interested.....
    >
    > Slim

  6. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    "The Real Slim Shady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Another thing. How would our hills in England rate to those in the Tour? Particularly ones in the
    > Midlands - you know the sort of 15% one mile long ones? Do the mountains in the tour go on and on
    > and on AND are incredibly steep? Anyone like to compare them to what they have done in the UK?
    For all Europe check out http://www.salite.ch/ For the Vuelta see
    http://www.altimetrias.com/default.asp All the best Dan Gregory

  7. rigsby@degsy

    [email protected] New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2003
    As far as I am aware the catagories fro climbs originally
    came from cars or vehicles.

    Meaning the gear you had to use to go up the mountains.

    EG...4th cat climb would mean 4th gear in car
    1st cat climb would mean 1st gear in car.

    I am not sure however, what gear a car would use for H.Cat.
    Probably 1st again, but with a lot more revs etc.

    About comparing UK hills to France...not sure.

    I just rode the Phil & Friends ride going over Holme Moss etc.

    Would be interesting to know what cat. this would be rated in the tour.
    Anyone care to answer that Holme moss ?

    Del.

  8. The Real Slim Shady wrote:

    > Another thing. How would our hills in England rate to those in the Tour? Particularly ones in the
    > Midlands - you know the sort of 15% one mile long ones? Do the mountains in the tour go on and on
    > and on AND are incredibly steep? Anyone like to compare them to what they have done in the UK?

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/5.3.html tells much about the rating of climbs in the Tour. Most
    serious Brit hills are steeper than Alpine and Pyreneen ascents but a lot shorter.

    A rare exception is Hartside, between Alston and Penrith, which Mr. Macadam built with a constant
    and comparatively gentle gradient for the Benefit of Horses, and is somwhere over five miles from
    the bridge over the South Tyne at the bottom to the cafe at the top. Though this pales into
    insignificane beside the fifteen or twenty or more miles of some of the big ones over there.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  9. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest