Tour De France: Living the Dream

the same discovery channel that pulled their sponsorship of pro cycling? looks like that film in the can will spoil without proper airing.

slovakguy said:
the same discovery channel that pulled their sponsorship of pro cycling? looks like that film in the can will spoil without proper airing.
I'm surprised that of all the people who submitted, they chose a guy who's so out of shape. Will they actually have to ride every stage of the tour?

donrhummy said:
I'm surprised that of all the people who submitted, they chose a guy who's so out of shape. Will they actually have to ride every stage of the tour?
They did? I haven't clicked the link. Stuff about Disco makes me ill. But it seems like they could have established a minimum yearly mileage for the person.

Perhaps they wanted to go for the average American angle.

Ok I do feel the need to defend myself.

I am the "out of shape" rider you all are mentioning in this thread.

Minimum yearly mileage? I feel as though I was definately representing all recreational riders who love cycling and are FANS of the Disco team. BEFORE the show I was already riding 3-4 days a week. Every time I would go out on a ride I would dream about having the kind of experience I had riding the tour.

Who doesn't dream about hitting a home run in the world series when they go to the batting cages? Who doesn't hit the game winning shot in their backyards to win the NBA finals. Who doesn't sink the winning putt on the golf course to win the Masters? As FANS this is what we do.

The kind of elitism you all are showing on this thread and in this forum is what really sucks about cycling. Most of you seem to be more concerned about "dropping the hammer" on each other than on the pure joy ANYONE can get from participating in the sport.

Joe and I had the time of our lives this summer with the team and it made for a compelling story for the show.

Bro Deal said:
They did? I haven't clicked the link. Stuff about Disco makes me ill. But it seems like they could have established a minimum yearly mileage for the person.

Perhaps they wanted to go for the average American angle.

adamletour said:
Wow. How did you dig up this thread?

You have to realize that after being subjected to those a-hole "fans" that were followed around by OLN one TdF, many people are not too optimistic to see something that looks similar from Discovery Channel.

adamletour said:

I am the "out of shape" rider you all are mentioning in this thread.

Minimum yearly mileage? I feel as though I was definately representing all recreational riders who love cycling and are FANS of the Disco team. BEFORE the show I was already riding 3-4 days a week. Every time I would go out on a ride I would dream about having the kind of experience I had riding the tour.

Who doesn't dream about hitting a home run in the world series when they go to the batting cages? Who doesn't hit the game winning shot in their backyards to win the NBA finals. Who doesn't sink the winning putt on the golf course to win the Masters? As FANS this is what we do.

The kind of elitism you all are showing on this thread and in this forum is what really sucks about cycling. Most of you seem to be more concerned about "dropping the hammer" on each other than on the pure joy ANYONE can get from participating in the sport.

Joe and I had the time of our lives this summer with the team and it made for a compelling story for the show.
did they get you to Ferrari and dope you up?

cyclingcyclone said:
Yeah they did. Clever.
well, that is part on the Armstrong experience is it not. You want to relive that putt at the Masters dude, get with the game, and take the blood transfusions.

Crankyfeet said:
As the original poster, are you the other amateur chosen to ride with the team?
the other flunkey you mean.

99ers. Not fans. Just Armstrong homies.

adamletour said:
Dude, you're pretty fat, but you're not out of control "Biggest Loser" fat. You'll never look like a pro cyclist, but who cares?

Speaking of "Biggest Loser," does anyone else thing some of the contestants were doping? I'm not the first to consider this.

adamletour said:

Ok, I'll bite.

You say that you were already cycling 3-4 days per week : how many miles would that be per day?

From cyclingcyclone in my in-box:

I want to ask you kindly to delete your message on the forum. I meant for that link to be a good thing for cyclist and a way to show the sport in a good light. Not just the raging doping freakshow that it has become. That attitude that you are conveying is the same reason why cycling isn't growing in the US.

Adam looks to be a fan or the sport and can have a lasting impact on the youth of the country with this show. For the sake of the holidays please take it down

Dude.

I don't even know where to begin. My post was probably the least offensive thing I've put up years. I can't imagine Adam thinks of himself as future Pro Tour rider. Clearly, he wasn't born with the physique of a professional cyclist.

And who are you? Some kind of protector of the Adams of the world? Does he need your protection? Did he even ask for it?

You asked me to "kindly delete my message." I'm asking you -- for the sake of the holidays -- to kindly shut the **** up you super hero wanna be ass clown.

Thanks brother.

helmutRoole2 said:
From cyclingcyclone in my in-box:

Dude.

I don't even know where to begin. My post was probably the least offensive thing I've put up years. I can't imagine Adam thinks of himself as future Pro Tour rider. Clearly, he wasn't born with the physique of a professional cyclist.

And who are you? Some kind of protector of the Adams of the world? Does he need your protection? Did he even ask for it?

You asked me to "kindly delete my message." I'm asking you -- for the sake of the holidays -- to kindly shut the **** up you super hero wanna be ass clown.

cyclingcyclone said:
Thanks brother.
Look, you signed up today for the express purpose of spreading spam. Then you lecture forum members, some of whom have followed the sport since the late 60s, about what it is to be a cycling fan while all the time you've been a cycling fan for, what, ten minutes?

I'm sure you're glad you got to ride with the Discovery team and they put your big fat ass on TV, but don't expect everyone else to feel the same. Many of us here are competitive cyclists, so we have no desire to relate to fat people wobbling up the Tourmalet on an overpriced bicycle. Everyone here are cycling fans, so, again, we have no desire to relate to fatties on bicycles gushing over how fit everyone else is.

Dude, honestly, what did you expect?

Isn't there a fatty forum you can post this **** on?

Of course, I state all this in the spirit of the holiday season.

Stay away from the second helpings, you.

You are heard loud and clear. We are on different wavelengths. It is ok to disagree. Enjoy the racing. :)

helmutRoole2 said:
Look, you signed up today for the express purpose of spreading spam. Then you lecture forum members, some of whom have followed the sport since the late 60s, about what it is to be a cycling fan while all the time you've been a cycling fan for, what, ten minutes?

I'm sure you're glad you got to ride with the Discovery team and they put your big fat ass on TV, but don't expect everyone else to feel the same. Many of us here are competitive cyclists, so we have no desire to relate to fat people wobbling up the Tourmalet on an overpriced bicycle. Everyone here are cycling fans, so, again, we have no desire to relate to fatties on bicycles gushing over how fit everyone else is.

Dude, honestly, what did you expect?

Isn't there a fatty forum you can post this **** on?

Of course, I state all this in the spirit of the holiday season.

Stay away from the second helpings, you.

cyclingcyclone said:
You are heard loud and clear.
Really? I don't think you do. I don't think you've given much thought at all as to why some people on this forum are not interested in your 15 minutes of fame. If you had you wouldn't have posted here.

In your original post, you said "2 amateur cyclists." (Note that I spelled amateur correctly.) Therein lies the rub. Amateur cyclist implies athlete, which is why Bro Deal asked why there wasn't a minimum mileage cutoff. Clearly, from the video, you are not amateur cyclists. You are recreational cyclists, which I have nothing against nor any interest in.

If you were amateur cyclists, then the program would be interesting because we could see a level that we, as cycling fans, could relate to since we, as cycling fans, often frequent local races where amateur cyclists compete.

Let me ask you this since you're a cycling fan: When was the last time you went to a local bicycle race to watch amateur cyclists compete? Of the things you can do to support the future of American cycling -- as you claim to be interested in -- appearing on OLN is probably the least reasonable option. In fact, I think it could safely be argued that appearing on OLN with the Discovery team isn't really supporting US cycling at all.

If you want to support US cycling, go sign up for a USAC referee course and become a cycling ref. Or, offer to drive a bunch of juniors to races. Or, put on a race. Or, sponsor an amateur cyclist for a couple months. Or, go to a local bicycle race and put up a prime, or offer to marshall a corner at a race, or make a donation to a local club, or pay the gym membership of a local amateur cyclist, or buy him or her coffee.

Stuffing yourself into a Disco kit and pretending to be a pro cyclist only furthers your image as a reality TV star wanna be. And good luck with that because in America the general population isn't interested in fat people or cyclists much less fat cyclists.

Happy holidays! :)