Tour De France: Living the Dream

you are right

helmutRoole2 said:
Really? I don't think you do. I don't think you've given much thought at all as to why some people on this forum are not interested in your 15 minutes of fame. If you had you wouldn't have posted here.

In your original post, you said "2 amateur cyclists." (Note that I spelled amateur correctly.) Therein lies the rub. Amateur cyclist implies athlete, which is why Bro Deal asked why there wasn't a minimum mileage cutoff. Clearly, from the video, you are not amateur cyclists. You are recreational cyclists, which I have nothing against nor any interest in.

If you were amateur cyclists, then the program would be interesting because we could see a level that we, as cycling fans, could relate to since we, as cycling fans, often frequent local races where amateur cyclists compete.

Let me ask you this since you're a cycling fan: When was the last time you went to a local bicycle race to watch amateur cyclists compete? Of the things you can do to support the future of American cycling -- as you claim to be interested in -- appearing on OLN is probably the least reasonable option. In fact, I think it could safely be argued that appearing on OLN with the Discovery team isn't really supporting US cycling at all.

If you want to support US cycling, go sign up for a USAC referee course and become a cycling ref. Or, offer to drive a bunch of juniors to races. Or, put on a race. Or, sponsor an amateur cyclist for a couple months. Or, go to a local bicycle race and put up a prime, or offer to marshall a corner at a race, or make a donation to a local club, or pay the gym membership of a local amateur cyclist, or buy him or her coffee.

Stuffing yourself into a Disco kit and pretending to be a pro cyclist only furthers your image as a reality TV star wanna be. And good luck with that because in America the general population isn't interested in fat people or cyclists much less fat cyclists.

Happy holidays! :)

Yojimbo_ said:
Don't pay much attention to Helmut....nobody else here does.
What are you talking about? Helmut's the most entertaining and one of the most valuable posters we have on here IMO. He's also probably the best cyclist who posts here (barring Lance, though it may be close at the moment).

Who gave you the right to speak for everybody else?

Yojimbo_ said:
Don't pay much attention to Helmut....nobody else here does.
Jimbo: man of few words, few thoughts.

You know, if cyclone would state how he supports US cycling or how he's not trying to become the next reality TV diva, then maybe I'd shut the **** up.

But when you come on to, especially this, forum, and start stroking Disco and telling people how they should properly support a sport that the poster himself describes as a "raging doping freak show," (I have to pause for second to reflect on that statement considering the guy who made it was proudly sporting a Disco kit just a couple months ago) expect to be slapped down.

Expect it.

It's people like this who I find so irritating. They're cycling fans for ten minutes, come on to this forum, don't read a thread, shoot their mouths off, pm people telling them -- in essence -- to shut the **** up, and then, when they're outed for being an ignoramus, the only response they have are these holy-than-thou, turn-the-other-cheek one liners that only illustrate that they exhausted their intellectual prowess on the subject not soon after they open their mouths.

I'll watch the program now, but only because I'll point at cyclone on the tube and say to my friends, "Hey, there's the slob I beat down on the forum the other day."

Again, happy holidays.

I was on another cycling forum and look what I found:

Reality TV Star: cycling is a doping freak show

At reality TV star appearing in "Riding the Tour, Best Day Ever" stated recently that he thought professional cycling was a "raging doping freak show."

This fat slob appeared on a recent Discovery Channel HD show that featured him and another recreational "cyclist" riding with and receiving mentoring from the Discovery team at this year's Tour. In the show they ride a stage of the Tour in full Disco team kits all the time saying how they were having the greatest time of their their fat ass lives.

Then he goes online and says cycling is a "raging doping freak show." What an ingrate.

Here's the link:http://cyclingforums.com/t442550.html

Word travels so fast on the internet.

I don't unerstand why you keep saying that I was on the show. I never said that once and all you do is make fun of me in regards to this show. I don't know what your talking about when you say that. All I did was come to Adam's defense because the show seemed like it would be a cool thing for fans to watch on the Discovery Channel. I found the information on the Club 1080 site.

Anyhow, to address your other concerns I will list the things I have done for cycling and maybe then you will relax a bit.

-I have raced in local races and been on numerous cycling clubs

-I have put on 2 charity cycling events to raise money

-I started a collegiate cycling club

-I was part of an committee that made decisions for the purchase of 30 bikes for the high school I attended

-O, and by the way I have been watching the Tour since a fetus

Thank You

helmutRoole2 said:
I was on another cycling forum and look what I found:

Word travels so fast on the internet.

cyclingcyclone said:
I don't unerstand why you keep saying that I was on the show.
Because you never said you weren't, even after the question was put to you.
cyclingcyclone said:
I never said that once and all you do is make fun of me in regards to this show. I don't know what your talking about when you say that. All I did was come to Adam's defense because the show seemed like it would be a cool thing for fans to watch on the Discovery Channel. I found the information on the Club 1080 site.

Okay... Adam.

cyclingcyclone said:
Anyhow, to address your other concerns I will list the things I have done for cycling and maybe then you will relax a bit.

-I have raced in local races and been on numerous cycling clubs

-I have put on 2 charity cycling events to raise money

-I started a collegiate cycling club

-I was part of an committee that made decisions for the purchase of 30 bikes for the high school I attended

-O, and by the way I have been watching the Tour since a fetus
Doesn't seem like it. In fact, it seems like you're covering your tracks just in case the show's producers stumble across this thread.

Don't stress. I made that last posting up.

Go ahead. You can clean your undies out now.

Hey, this thread turned into "Tour De France: Living the CF Nightmare," for you, didn't it?

You were probably, "Oh no! My reality TV career has gone up in flames before it even got off the ground!" ;)

Headlines: Fat Adam indicts Disco team
Sub headline: How one posting led to the unravelling of a reality TV star

Helmut, to echo the catchphrase of a famous, cross-dressing, Brit comic of yesteryear, (said in the voice of a voracious, middle aged, man eating, harridan)- 'ooh, you are awful, but I like you.' Merry Xmas.
smile.gif

After reading Helmut's posts and seeing how he has gone after this guy for no apparent reason, I wonder what Helmut is really like.

I mean, you don't go around talking to people like that in real life, do you? It's very easy to be rude and **** people behind the anonimity of the Internet, but not so hard to do it to people's faces in the real world. That is, if you want to keep all your teeth.

Do you still have all your teeth Helmut?

While I may disagree with the methods that Helmut used (being generally offensive) I can kind of see where he's coming from. So Discovery wasted time and money to bring us yet another reality show where they take a couple of people and drop them into a pretty fake situation and we get to watch them huff and puff up a hill....... It was probably pretty easy to make since the filmmakers were going to be there anyway, but why not get out there and follow some of the hundreds of people who are really going out and giving amateur racing a try? What would be wrong with actual reality as a reality show. It's not nearly as pretty as getting a bunch of free stuff from the Discovery team and it wouldn't attract those folks who might only watch just in case they might catch a glimpse of George Hincapie, but it might help give a little credibility to a sport that really needs some right now and maybe it might even give amateur cycling a little boost. It would be nice for it to be seen that there are real people, with real lives, going out and doing some real racing - we work hard too and we do it pretty much on our own.

If you are interested in something like that, support a local little documentary film maker instead of the big guy on the block and check out www.start2finishmovie.com This is one is real reality!
(here's a link to a trailer that works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ9jsiGLsAY )

Yojimbo_ said:
After reading Helmut's posts and seeing how he has gone after this guy for no apparent reason, I wonder what Helmut is really like.

I mean, you don't go around talking to people like that in real life, do you? It's very easy to be rude and **** people behind the anonimity of the Internet, but not so hard to do it to people's faces in the real world. That is, if you want to keep all your teeth.

I see your point Jimbo, but I don't think our OP is entirely lily white in his magnanimous attempt to support cycling. What irks me is when people come on this site and pose as innocent bystanders when in fact they have a vested interest in whatever they are pushing. It is pretty obvious to myself, Helmut and probably a lot of other people, that cyclingcyclone has a connection to this show and is using this forum to plug it without explaining his interest in it. My guess is that he is either one of the two amateurs chosen to ride in the show, or he is connected to the production and success of the show. The fact that he is aware of the program schedule a month in advance and is making his first posts under this handle on the forum, and that he has placed the same spam-like post in a number of other sub-forums here, tilts his hand IMO. This kind of "out-of-nowhere" advertising, using the anonymity of a supposed third-party membership on this forum, is the BS I really dislike. At least Helmut is known to everyone here after some 1600 posts.

Also, I have met Helmut, and he has all of his teeth, and whilst our torrid, passionate affair only lasted a week, I think he is a swell guy.:p

So cyclingcyclone...How ARE you connected to this show?

Yojimbo_ said:

Jimbo, are you threatening to beat me up over the Internet? Do I have to explain to your dumb ass why that's not possible?

And the "reason," which seems apparent to most people who've read the thread, as to why I'm "going after this guy" is because he/she is engaging in a deception.

Why didn't he/she just come on the forum, state who they were and open the floor for questions? Surely they would have taken some flack, but to pretend to be someone else was about as thought-out as your bone headed "...still have all your front teeth" statement.

What do you think my reaction to that type of statement is going to be, jimbo? Something like, "Oh dear, I can no longer travel to Canada because YoJimbo might beat me up," or "I have to hire extra security just in case YoJimbo decides to travel to Miami Beach and recognizes my avatar." This is shockingly stupid, even for someone like yourself. Resorting to the "You wanna take it outside" argument only shows that you've run out of ideas to express... and after what? Two posts?

Jimbo, to you I offer this advice: If you wanna get in a fight, go to a bar. If you want to look stupid, post something on an Internet forum.

Yet another juvenile post from Helmut, except this time his rant is directed at me.

Helmut, you might want to re-read what I actually wrote instead of flying off the handle. All I did was ask if you get away with talking to people in real life the way you talk to people here. And I did it in an interesting and thought provoking manner - it was certainly interesting enough to get another rise out of you.

So what if the other posters are exactly what you think they are. How does that "hurt" you or anyone else around here? They said nothing to justify the vitriol you poured on them. This is a Cycling Forum after all, and they started a thread on a TV show about cycling.

Shame on you Helmut. You owe me and the other posters an apology, but I won't hold my breath, because I'm starting to think you are a very small man.

Prove me wrong.

Yojimbo_ said:
Yet another juvenile post from Helmut, except this time his rant is directed at me.

Helmut, you might want to re-read what I actually wrote instead of flying off the handle. All I did was ask if you get away with talking to people in real life the way you talk to people here. And I did it in an interesting and thought provoking manner - it was certainly interesting enough to get another rise out of you.
Jimbo, unless you're soliciting a prostitute, asking someone if they still have their front teeth is an implied threat. Explain to me how you do not understand that?

Yojimbo_ said:
So what if the other posters are exactly what you think they are. How does that "hurt" you or anyone else around here?
By this reasoning then, why do you care about what I write, wrote or am writing now? Why do you care about what anyone writes on these forums.

Yojimbo_ said:
Shame on you Helmut. You owe me and the other posters an apology, but I won't hold my breath, because I'm starting to think you are a very small man.
Jimbo, haven't I made it clear that your opinion of me doesn't matter in the least.

Look, there are online personalities and there are off-line personalities. My online personality differs greatly from my off-line personality. Is that such a surprise? My avatar? Newflash for jimbo: That's not really me.

I have made up characters on this forum and pitted them against each other for the sole purpose of entertaining myself. I've fabricated stories and statistics, twisted facts to meet my own means and support truths that would otherwise be a lie. I've falsely stated that other forum members have made statements about other forum members' moms to see if they would intellectually joust each other. On this forum I've pulled all sorts of antics that I would never perpetrate in my off-line life. Does that make me a "small man?"

Well... It depends on what you mean by small man. If by small man you mean that I live in my parents' basement and spend my days doing nothing but eating junk food, sleeping all day and tormenting people on the Internet in my spare time, then no I am not a small man.

But, if by small man you mean, I have a fairly well paying job that gets boring periodically and affords me enough time time to escape reality by posting sometimes inane, sometimes offensive, sometimes fabricated, sometimes truthful and often provocative, irrelevant, irreverent, and shocking statements on cyclingforums.com for the sole purpose of baiting other forum members into off-topic arguments that I find entertaining, then yes; guilty as charged.

I'm not trying to hide the fact that I'm somebody that I'm not. Clearly, I am somebody that I'm not. Cyclingcyclone is someone he is not, but he is also trying to hide that fact. This is a bit of a fine line, but I think I can and have justified being on the side that I'm on as opposed to being on the side that cyclingcyclone is on.

As for your apology? Well, if I have misinterpreted your, what can easily be interpreted as a, threat, then I'm sorry I intellectually attacked you. But sincerely Jimbo, these are but words on a computer screen and you should not take them to your true heart, only your online heart, the two of which you should -- and likely do -- differentiate. I know I do.

Also, if you take online insults to heart and find that they are painful, then maybe you should examine the possibility that you are emotionally fragile.

Helmut - you asked me what I meant by a small man.

Here's a definition I found on the web that is pretty much in line with what I meant.

"Having little size, compared with other things of the same kind; little in quantity or degree; diminutive; not large or extended in dimension; not great; not much; inconsiderable; as, a small man; a small river."

To elucidate, in case you still haven't grasped it, you are a small man because not only do you take pleasure in putting other people down, you aren't big enough to apologize for it when you are called on it. You hide behind the anonimity of the Internet to do it, and you keep doing it when someone asks you very politely to stop.

Do I get an apology for this:
Yojimbo_ said:
Don't pay much attention to Helmut....nobody else here does..

Well? And, I believe I did offer an apology. Do I need to tear a page out of jimbo's book and tell you to re-read my post?

Also, you are the winner of the 2007 Thesaurus Award for the use of the word elucidate while at the same time the winner of the 2007 Dumb Ass Award for it's redundant use in conjunction with the phrase, "... in case you haven't grasped it." That's like saying, "To help you understand, you don't understand..."

Here's a word for you to learn the meaning of:

hyp·o·crite [hip-uh-krit] Pronunciation Key
–noun
1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

You are a hypocrite unless you apologize. Go ahead. Prove me wrong.

Seems like we haven't had a good argument in here since Musette and Saluki withered away.

Keep it up guys, excellent entertainment. Better than wrestling.

Commentator: Yes Jimbo went for the usually failsafe "I'm a bigger man than you" argument coupled with the apology demand. Helmut then, seemingly pinned, has flipped Jimbo around on the canvass, totally sidestepping the obvious spelling error defense (on "anonimity") which is a classic rookie dead-end hold, and used instead the "You tried to look smart, but you actually looked dumb" vocabulary manoevre coupled with the hypocrite manoevre as a one-two punch. This is classic forum wrestling folks. :D

How is Jimbo going to extricate himself from this headlock?:confused:

I don't think Musette has withered away though. Just wait for some Bruyneel news to come up.