Tour de France - on ITV2 again?

Chris Bardell

Guest
Panicking just like last year...

Can anyone say **for definite** if the Tour de France is on ITV2 again this year? Yeah, I know it's
on Eurosport, but I don't have satellite TV.

Bought the digibox last year just to watch the Tour. Can't find anything useful on the web to
confirm if ITV2 are showing it. Official guide obviously doesn't mention ITV2 as it's a
Eurosport-sponsored thang.

Any *definite* info appreciated. Thanks.

On 16 Jun 2003 08:27:28 -0700, [email protected] (Chris Bardell) wrote:

>Panicking just like last year...
>
>Can anyone say **for definite** if the Tour de France is on ITV2 again this year? Yeah, I know it's
>on Eurosport, but I don't have satellite TV.
>
>Bought the digibox last year just to watch the Tour. Can't find anything useful on the web to
>confirm if ITV2 are showing it. Official guide obviously doesn't mention ITV2 as it's a
>Eurosport-sponsored thang.
>
>Any *definite* info appreciated. Thanks.

yes its a shame that we cant see the tour on TV any longer , revenge over Iraq? (axis of weasels
and all that)

"Its-eddy !" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 16 Jun 2003 08:27:28 -0700, [email protected] (Chris Bardell) wrote:
>
> >Panicking just like last year...
> >
> >Can anyone say **for definite** if the Tour de France is on ITV2 again this year? Yeah, I know
> >it's on Eurosport, but I don't have satellite TV.
> >
> >Bought the digibox last year just to watch the Tour. Can't find anything useful on the web to
> >confirm if ITV2 are showing it. Official guide obviously doesn't mention ITV2 as it's a
> >Eurosport-sponsored thang.
> >
> >Any *definite* info appreciated. Thanks.
>
> yes its a shame that we cant see the tour on TV any longer , revenge over Iraq? (axis of weasels
> and all that)

Everything that I have heard indicates that it's on ITV2.

Mark

[email protected] (Chris Bardell) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > Everything that I have heard indicates that it's on ITV2.
> >
> > Mark
>
> Wooooohoooooooooo!
>
> Further scratching around finds this: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/upcoming.php?program=TOUR%20DE%-
> 20FRANCE&category=Terrestrial&datereq=1057359600&channelno=167
>
> Looks like a one-hour highlights prog at 19:00 BST every day.
>
> Extremely happy bunny - cheers DigitalSpy & ITV2.

Well, it doesn't look as good as last year's coverage - many of the stages were given about 4hrs
live coverage. I don't call a nightly highlights show *that* good an effort. Remember it will most
likely be a 30' show, with commercial break(s) eating up at least 5', and stupid re-hashes of the
previous day's highlights and silly competitions eating up another 10'.

I was *really* pleased with last year's coverage, particularly in comparison with the Duffield
drivelling on about his breakfast etc.

Robert

"Robert Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Chris Bardell) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > > Everything that I have heard indicates that it's on ITV2.
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> > Wooooohoooooooooo!
> >
> > Further scratching around finds this:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/upcoming.php?program=TOUR%20DE%20FRANCE&category
=Terrestrial&datereq=1057359600&channelno=167

> > Looks like a one-hour highlights prog at 19:00 BST every day.
> >
> > Extremely happy bunny - cheers DigitalSpy & ITV2.
>
> Well, it doesn't look as good as last year's coverage - many of the stages were given about 4hrs
> live coverage. I don't call a nightly highlights show *that* good an effort. Remember it will most
> likely be a 30' show, with commercial break(s) eating up at least 5', and stupid re-hashes of the
> previous day's highlights and silly competitions eating up another 10'.
>
> I was *really* pleased with last year's coverage, particularly in comparison with the Duffield
> drivelling on about his breakfast etc.
>
> Robert

I always find Phil Ligget's commentary better than Duffield, at least on the climax to sprint
stages. But at least Duffield is on showing most of the stage each day. The real afficionados will
have to suffer the duffer.

Robin.

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:59:38 +0100, "Robin Long" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I always find Phil Ligget's commentary better than Duffield, at least on the climax to sprint
>stages. But at least Duffield is on showing most of the stage each day. The real afficionados will
>have to suffer the duffer.

It all depends on whether or not you like cake, cheese and wine.

Personally, I quite enjoy Duffers's ramblings, especially on the occasions when he mounts his
high horse.

James

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:14:46 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

>It all depends on whether or not you like cake, cheese and wine.
>
>Personally, I quite enjoy Duffers's ramblings, especially on the occasions when he mounts his
>high horse.

It's all right for a while but eventually I just want to shout, "For God's sake, man, shut up for a
minute and let me watch the effing bike race."

--
Dave...

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It's all right for a while but eventually I just want to shout, "For God's sake, man, shut up for
> a minute and let me watch the effing bike race."

Your TV is provided with a volume control. It is quite effective at silencing the Duffers.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:36:40 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> It's all right for a while but eventually I just want to shout, "For God's sake, man, shut up for
>> a minute and let me watch the effing bike race."
>

>Your TV is provided with a volume control. It is quite effective at silencing the Duffers.

Things have come to a pretty poor pass when the commentator is so awful you have to watch the race
with the sound off. Besides, every now and again between the lectures on the local cheese industry
he does mention how far up the road the break is now.

--
Dave...

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:24:09 +0100, Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:14:46 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It all depends on whether or not you like cake, cheese and wine.
>>
>>Personally, I quite enjoy Duffers's ramblings, especially on the occasions when he mounts his
>>high horse.
>
>It's all right for a while but eventually I just want to shout, "For God's sake, man, shut up for a
>minute and let me watch the effing bike race."

I guess you do have a point, Dave. I, myself, do get a little peeved when Duffers continues to
waffle on about the waffles he'd eaten the previous night just at the time when there's a mega crash
or major break happening.

OTOH, he is ever so slightly less annoying than Murray Walker. Murray, well, he missed almost
everything - and when he did spot it he got the details wrong.

Fortunately, for my sanity, Duffers has Sean and Murray had Martin as their links into the
real world.

James

According to Cycling Weekly (and I know that the digitalspy link doesn't = seem to show this), ITV2
will be showing live coverage in the afternoon = (opposite Eurosport, natch!), this half-hour
highlights prog at 7pm, and = that THIS PROG WILL BE REPEATED ON ITV1 LATER THAT NIGHT!!!!! So tell
all your mates without digital telly that they can get the race = again!

Hope this helps (and that I'm not passing on duff info!) Ruaraidh Gillies

"Chris Bardell" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
news:[email protected]...
> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
news:<[email protected]>...
> >=20
> > Everything that I have heard indicates that it's on ITV2.
> >=20
> > Mark
>=20
> Wooooohoooooooooo!
>=20
> Further scratching around finds this:
> =
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/upcoming.php?program=3DTOUR%20DE%20FRANCE&cat=
egory=3DTerrestrial&datereq=3D1057359600&channelno=3D167
>=20
> Looks like a one-hour highlights prog at 19:00 BST every day.
>=20
> Extremely happy bunny - cheers DigitalSpy & ITV2.

Yep, the Radio Times website confirms this:

http://www.radiotimes.beeb.com/ListingsServlet?event=3&jspGridLocation=%2
Fjsp%2Ftv_listings_grid.jsp&jspListLocation=%2Fjsp%2Ftv_listings_list.jsp
&jspError=%2Fjsp%2Ferror.jsp&channels=185&searchString=tour+de+france&x=5 5&y=13

The highlights programmes look like they're 1 hour rather than 30 mins which is just about the best
scenario for me :)

Paul Flackett.

In article <[email protected]>, TJ <[email protected]> writes
>Have confirmation from DigiGuide which has it in my listings from 5th July..
>
>ITV 2 - 16:30 Tour de France - Live coverage of the prologue time trial...
>
>Thereafter it seems to be highlights only on ITV 2 (and some also on ITV)
>
>TJ
>

>"Ruaraidh Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]... According to Cycling Weekly (and I know that the
>digitalspy link doesn't seem to show this), ITV2 will be showing live coverage in the afternoon
>(opposite Eurosport, natch!), this half-hour highlights prog at 7pm, and that THIS PROG WILL BE
>REPEATED ON ITV1 LATER THAT NIGHT!!!!! So tell all your mates without digital telly that they can
>get the race again!
>
>Hope this helps (and that I'm not passing on duff info!) Ruaraidh Gillies
>
>"Chris Bardell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> >
>> > Everything that I have heard indicates that it's on ITV2.
>> >
>> > Mark
>>
>> Wooooohoooooooooo!
>>
>> Further scratching around finds this:
>>
>http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/upcoming.php?program=TOUR%20DE%20FRANCE&category
>=Terrestrial&datereq=1057359600&channelno=167
>>
>> Looks like a one-hour highlights prog at 19:00 BST every day.
>>
>> Extremely happy bunny - cheers DigitalSpy & ITV2.

--
Paul Flackett

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.