Tour De France : Power Outputs

I'm surprised that the improvement in sports science in general over the last 20 years - what riders eat, the special carbo drinks and forumlas of animo acids, etc, and the better knowledge on how to train effectively - is not factored into the power outputs. It's not just the equipment that has improved. Sports science does move on, guys.

DV1976 said:
Its sort of ironic that u accuse the article of not taking into account the weather when u go and conjure up a fictitious weight for Armstrong simply because you have heard otherwise.
I seriously doubt that he ever raced in TdF at more than 71 kilos . Thats blatant manipulation of data to justify a predetermined result...
For the record Ferrari has been or record saying that in order to be a contender for the TdF a cyclist must produce 6.7W/kg. This has been recorded and published with his permission in Coyle's book, its not hearsay and it's a number that Armstrong could reproduce. So what are you trying to prove?

In the paper that Coyle published his given weight in November 99 was 79.7Kg and lean body weight, was 71.6Kg. If he had the same muscle mass as during the Tour then that puts his weight at over 10% bodyfat. If one assumes 4% bodyfat for the end of the Tour, without factoring in muscle loss during the course of the event then his weight would be in the 74Kg range.

http://www.edb.utexas.edu/coyle/content/armstrong article JAP.pdf

With regard to the Arcalis climb, it's worth noting that the 2009 stage was done in a strong headwind, the effects of which will increase the average power output but by how much you can't know. Without gathering data directly from the riders during the race it's mostly guess work but this factor does narrow the gap between Contadors performance and Ullrich.

I guess Limerickman couldn't find the doping forum when he put up this thinly veiled post, another chance for him to pound his chest and pretend to be above it all.

Little Lance said:
My power output is about 6 W/kg as a 15 juniour cyclist. :)
Is that any good?

Yea I'd say that's very good.

BTW, Little Lance, did you meet Big Lance yet ? :)