Tour de France Question

Charlie S.

Guest
I apologize in advance for not posting this in a road bike newsgroup. Even though I road bike more
than mountain, I just can't relate to the suave roadie get-up many wear, nor the snotty attitude
many of them seem to carry on their faces. I do post here from time to time, but I haven't been
posting for some time.

I came across this article while throwing out a bunch of Bicycling Magazines.

Well anyway getting to the point. In the October 2002 edition of Bicycling magazine, someone wrote
in complaining to the editor(s). The heading states, "Everyone Pees." Then the rest of the article
states the following. "You crossed the line of taste with the photo of Oscar Freire urinating ("Your
Tour de France Handbook"). My 3 year daughter doesn't need to see that, and most adults don't ,
either. Brian E. Boguhn, Fremont, CA" The editor's response. "When a two-time world champion takes a
whiz, we watch. There's gotta be something we can learn."

I thought it was a pretty absurd response. But anyways, I am curious, from watching or reading about
'the Tour' I realize that it's a very long race. And, these guys are drinking lots and lots of
liquids. Naturally, eventually, they must have to pee or **** sometime during the race. (We've all
experienced this from time to time on longer rides.)

My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol
is for this?

I realize from a spectators viewpoint this happen must appear somewhat comical, but realistically
everyone has to go sometime during a very long ride. Sometimes when I am riding on a paved trail I
have to sneak into a wooded area to find a place to pee. It's quite an awkward experience. I imagine
these riders are in an even more awkward position with crowds all along the Tour.

Again, I apologize for such an off topic and possibly offensive post. (I just couldn't bring myself
to post in a roadie ng.)

Charlie S. <[email protected]> wrote:

> My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
> commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
> for this?

As you are aware this isn't a roadie group, I'll give you the mtb answer. When I've gotta pee, I
stop, get off the bike and find a nice tree, rock, cactus, or even just a great view. I let 'er rip,
give a few tugs to prevent the inevitable wet spot on the bike shorts (usually fails), get back on
the bike and keep riding. Not sure how effective that would be in the TdF, or any other road race,
but it works for me. Bet it's much the same for the majority of the guys in this group, but I'm just
guessing there.

Tom (enjoys a nice view)

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:04:18 GMT, Charlie S. wrote:

> My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
> commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
> for this?

My old riding bud has gotten into road riding big time over the past couple of years. He's
mentioned about this a few times. Oh yeah, they do that. They actually had a race that had to
relocate because of complaints about riders whizzing on the roadside - sometimes in groups (they're
ROADIES, after all)!

tcmedara wrote:
> Charlie S. <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
>> commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
>> for this?
>>
> As you are aware this isn't a roadie group, I'll give you the mtb answer. When I've gotta pee, I
> stop, get off the bike and find a nice tree, rock, cactus, or even just a great view. I let 'er
> rip, give a few tugs to prevent the inevitable wet spot on the bike shorts (usually fails), get
> back on the bike and keep riding. Not sure how effective that would be in the TdF, or any other
> road race, but it works for me. Bet it's much the same for the majority of the guys in this group,
> but I'm just guessing there.
>
> Tom (enjoys a nice view)

I think you should have posted this in a roadie group if you want an answer.
--
Perre

Charlie S. wrote:

> I apologize in advance for not posting this in a road bike newsgroup. Even though I road bike more
> than mountain, I just can't relate to the suave roadie get-up many wear, nor the snotty attitude
> many of them seem to carry on their faces. I do post here from time to time, but I haven't been
> posting for some time.
>
> I came across this article while throwing out a bunch of Bicycling Magazines.
>
> Well anyway getting to the point. In the October 2002 edition of Bicycling magazine, someone wrote
> in complaining to the editor(s). The heading states, "Everyone Pees." Then the rest of the article
> states the following. "You crossed the line of taste with the photo of Oscar Freire urinating
> ("Your Tour de France Handbook"). My 3 year daughter doesn't need to see that, and most adults
> don't , either. Brian E. Boguhn, Fremont, CA" The editor's response. "When a two-time world
> champion takes a whiz, we watch. There's gotta be something we can learn."
>
> I thought it was a pretty absurd response. But anyways, I am curious, from watching or reading
> about 'the Tour' I realize that it's a very long race. And, these guys are drinking lots and lots
> of liquids. Naturally, eventually, they must have to pee or **** sometime during the race. (We've
> all experienced this from time to time on longer rides.)
>
> My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
> commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
> for this?

Sometimes the whole peleton stops. I know other methods involve rolling up a leg of their shorts,
pulling them down, or ignoring them completely and letting it go, all while riding.

Shawn

Charlie S. wrote:

> My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
> commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
> for this?

If you gotta go you gotta go. I actually saw a hilarious video once of a womens roadrace. This chick
just let it go thinking that it would quietly run down the frame. Oh nooo... You can use your
imagination what happened when it hit the spinning spokes. ROTFL

Is there anybody that's seen this clip and remember where it was posted?

--
Perre

De-lurking for just a bit. You might want to check out http://www.cyclingforums.com/t25513.html for
a lengthy thread with some enlightening comments on the topic.

berlin.de...

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> Charlie S. wrote:
>>
>> My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
>> commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
>> for this?
>>

> If you gotta go you gotta go. I actually saw a hilarious video once of a womens roadrace. This
> chick just let it go thinking that it would quietly run down the frame. Oh nooo... You can use
> your imagination what happened when it hit the spinning spokes. ROTFL
>
> Is there anybody that's seen this clip and remember where it was posted?

www.pissingchickonbikefetishist.com.

Bill "go ahead, click" S.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I came across this article while throwing out a bunch of Bicycling Magazines.

Good idea, throw them all out.

Peeing is natural, I pee in my wetsuit on cold swims, keeps me warm. I've never had to pee on a
bike, usually wait 'til the run and find a spot if there are no porta-potties around.

On the trails everybody pees, it's natural. Carla even has some get-up that lets women pee.....like
men, go figure.

Peace, Bill

:-]

S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:

> www.pissingchickonbikefetishist.com.
>
> Bill "go ahead, click" S.

I'm so tempted, soooooo tempted. But judgement and discretion scream otherwise. What to do.....?

Tom

S o r n i wrote:
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>
>>Charlie S. wrote:
>>
>>>My question is, do most riders do what this rider did and pee while they ride? Or, is it more
>>>commonplace they hold it until the end of the race? Anyone have any insight what the protocol is
>>>for this?
>>>

>>If you gotta go you gotta go. I actually saw a hilarious video once of a womens roadrace. This
>>chick just let it go thinking that it would quietly run down the frame. Oh nooo... You can use
>>your imagination what happened when it hit the spinning spokes. ROTFL
>>
>>Is there anybody that's seen this clip and remember where it was posted?
>

> www.pissingchickonbikefetishist.com.

Damn, I thought it was going to be http://tubgirl.com.

Greg

G.T. wrote:
> S o r n i wrote:
>> Per Elmsäter wrote:

>>> If you gotta go you gotta go. I actually saw a hilarious video once of a womens roadrace. This
>>> chick just let it go thinking that it would quietly run down the frame. Oh nooo... You can use
>>> your imagination what happened when it hit the spinning spokes. ROTFL
>>>
>>> Is there anybody that's seen this clip and remember where it was posted?
>>

>> www.pissingchickonbikefetishist.com.
>>

> Damn, I thought it was going to be http://tubgirl.com.
>
> Greg

Hey, I know that trick... we used to it with a neighbor's cat and a bottle of Worcestershire sauce.
--
Slacker

>Naturally, eventually, they must have to pee

After watching the tour for years and wondering the same thing, I asked that very question on the
OLN forum last year. The responses were about the same. You can either move to the rear/right of the
peloton and roll up your shorts and let it rip on the move, or at times the entire group will stop
and pee enmass at the side of the road. After all its europe!

jaybird

> Peeing is natural, I pee in my wetsuit on cold swims, keeps me warm. I've never had to pee on a
> bike, usually wait 'til the run and find a spot if there are no porta-potties around.
>
> On the trails everybody pees, it's natural. Carla even has some get-up that lets women
> pee.....like men, go figure.
>
> Peace, Bill

Do I gotta whip out another Pee Pee story here... Because I got one, but unfortunately, I'm the main
character :-(
--
Slacker

Jaybird wrote:
>> Naturally, eventually, they must have to pee
>

> After watching the tour for years and wondering the same thing, I asked that very question on the
> OLN forum last year. The responses were about the same. You can either move to the rear/right of
> the peloton and roll up your shorts and let it rip on the move, or at times the entire group will
> stop and pee enmass at the side of the road. After all its europe!
>
> jaybird

Euro Pee On Savages!
--
Slacker

On 22 Feb 2004 21:01:03 -0800, Jaybird wrote:

> at times the entire group will stop and pee enmass at the side of the road. After all its europe!

They do that here too. Its not europe...its ROADIES!

> Euro Pee On Savages!

Horrid, Europe also lacks those societies that wants to put pants on all animals in the name of
public morality. Though 200 yrs ago or so some covered the legs on chairs and sofas so people would
not think viscious thoughts or be led astray.

Per http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would care to
listen :
>> Euro Pee On Savages!
>
> Horrid, Europe also lacks those societies that wants to put pants on all animals in the name of
> public morality. Though 200 yrs ago or so some covered the legs on chairs and sofas so people
> would not think viscious thoughts or be led astray.
>
> Per http://lowdin.nu

that was only 100 years ago in the Victorian era.

penny