Tour de France reference....

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by ecmarsha, Nov 14, 2011.

1. ecmarsha

ecmarsha New Member

So I'm hoping someone on here has the stage and year for this. One of Lance Armstrong's last year's as champ, he was wearing his team jersey at the end of a stage and riding close behind another contender (don't recall the name). At some point you could tell he was going to stand up, sprint, and waste the guy in front of him. He stood up for a second, then sat back down to zip up his jersey, then sprinted and embarrassed the poor chap in front of him by passing and winning the stage. At some point the Brittish announcer said, "He's poised to strike." After the stage in an interview, he was asked why he bothered to zip the jersey up. He said that he felt it appropriate to have the sponsor's name showing clearly as the won the stage.

Which year and stage was that? And where could I find the footage?

Thanks,

CM

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

To zip up the team jersey before crossing the line is common, all winning riders do that. It is not seen often when there are more than 1 rider contesting the stage or race but it is possible that this anecdote you tell us is true. However, do not trust too much what commentators say, they are often biased by nationality, personal preferences and the like, there is one famous journalist that i wont name who delivers the public completely subjective analysis of many races, even saying things that are simple not true.

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

It's all about who signs the check. The sponsors name is visible or someone will hear about it. I have seen riders fumble around at the last second and fail to get the jersey zipped.

4. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Sounds like the stage when Lance caught Andreas Klöden on the line ?