Tour de France starts 17/09 for cancer charities

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by weston, Aug 16, 2006.

1. weston

weston New Member

Hi Folks
    My 2,261 mile solo bike ride over the 2006 Tour de France route is fast approaching. The challenge is for three cancer charities La Ligue Contre le Cancer (France), Lance Armstrong Foundation (USA) and CLIC Sargent (UK).
    The ride celebrates my 65th birthday and is dedicated to my parents, friends and colleagues, including children who have died of cancer.
    Preparations and training are going well and the growing support and encouragement, a great help towards the many hours needed on the bike.
    The five mountain stages, two in the Pyrennes and three in the Alpes (including L'Alpe d'Huez) will be the hardest part. However, training here in the Dordogne with very varied terrain and plenty of hills has been a great help.
    I am going to ride each stage complete and excluding the prologue and two time trials, these will vary in length from 155 to 230 kms.
    Please visit my website for the latest news and information about the international aspects of the project at www.cancercharitytour.com Your comments and advice would be very welcome on the interactive pages. I hope to have a daily update of progress during the ride.
    Donations to these worthy charities of course much appreciated and the various methods for donating may be found on the website (including online donating).
    Thanks for taking the time to read this message. I know being a fellow cyclist you will realise how much is involved, so please spread the word to friends, colleagues and family.
    Keep spinning.
    Robin Weston

Tags:

2. weston

weston New Member

Well it's all over - would I do it again - you bet! But first the Etape 2007 in the Pyrennes.

Full report and plenty of photos at http://cancercharitytour.com