Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich pedals away with 'Best Supporting' Oscar

  • Thread starter Gorgeous George
  • Start date



K

Keith

Guest
On 2 Mar 2007 13:43:27 -0800, "Gorgeous George"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>One of professional cycling's finest ambassadors pedalled off into the
>sunset this week - but it was a quiet send-off.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2uk4zu


Well put, even here nobody seems to care, odd, I'm devastated, 10
years of supporting Ulle gone down the drain.
 
I

ilan

Guest
On Mar 2, 10:43 pm, "Gorgeous George" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> One of professional cycling's finest ambassadors pedalled off into the
> sunset this week - but it was a quiet send-off.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2uk4zu


I thought that award should have gone to Sevilla.

-ilan
 
On Mar 2, 6:14 pm, Keith <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2 Mar 2007 13:43:27 -0800, "Gorgeous George"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >One of professional cycling's finest ambassadors pedalled off into the
> >sunset this week - but it was a quiet send-off.

>
> >http://tinyurl.com/2uk4zu

>
> Well put, even here nobody seems to care, odd, I'm devastated, 10
> years of supporting Ulle gone down the drain.


As Benjamin Franklin said somewhere, it's better
to burn out than it is to rust.

Ullrich has been an afterthought for a while now.
Many of us thought otherwise, but we were fooling
ourselves. In retrospect, his last significant
tactical blunder was returning to T-Mobile for 2004.
Since then it now looks (with the benefit of
hindsight) like a slow but inevitable denouement,
like watching a solo inexorably reeled in by
the bunch. Bob Schwartz started saying a few years
ago that Jan had made himself irrelevant, and I
thought he wasn't necessarily right, but he was.
The farce of last year was the final indignity, but
even there Jan was Rosencrantz to Basso's Hamlet.

Ben
 
H

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 6:14 pm, Keith <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On 2 Mar 2007 13:43:27 -0800, "Gorgeous George"
> >
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >One of professional cycling's finest ambassadors pedalled off into the
> > >sunset this week - but it was a quiet send-off.

> >
> > >http://tinyurl.com/2uk4zu

> >
> > Well put, even here nobody seems to care, odd, I'm devastated, 10
> > years of supporting Ulle gone down the drain.

>
> As Benjamin Franklin said somewhere, it's better
> to burn out than it is to rust.
>
> Ullrich has been an afterthought for a while now.
> Many of us thought otherwise, but we were fooling
> ourselves. In retrospect, his last significant
> tactical blunder was returning to T-Mobile for 2004.
> Since then it now looks (with the benefit of
> hindsight) like a slow but inevitable denouement,
> like watching a solo inexorably reeled in by
> the bunch. Bob Schwartz started saying a few years
> ago that Jan had made himself irrelevant, and I
> thought he wasn't necessarily right, but he was.
> The farce of last year was the final indignity, but
> even there Jan was Rosencrantz to Basso's Hamlet.


I do think it was a mistake for Jan to go back to T-Mobile, but I believe he did it
becaue he was most comfortable there. He doesn't seem to want to venture much out of a
certain zone and the decision not to go with CSC fits with that. Anyway, I think his
most significant tactical blunder was not losing Rudy Pevenage. That guy seems to have
done a poor job of keeping JU in shape over the off-season and keep him (more or less)
coasting along on his laurels. Too bad.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
 
D

Davey Crockett

Guest
* Howard Kveck <[email protected]> a écrit
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 2, 6:14 pm, Keith <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > On 2 Mar 2007 13:43:27 -0800, "Gorgeous George"
>> >
>> > <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > >One of professional cycling's finest ambassadors pedalled off into the
>> > >sunset this week - but it was a quiet send-off.
>> >
>> > >http://tinyurl.com/2uk4zu
>> >
>> > Well put, even here nobody seems to care, odd, I'm devastated, 10
>> > years of supporting Ulle gone down the drain.

>>
>> As Benjamin Franklin said somewhere, it's better
>> to burn out than it is to rust.
>>
>> Ullrich has been an afterthought for a while now.
>> Many of us thought otherwise, but we were fooling
>> ourselves. In retrospect, his last significant
>> tactical blunder was returning to T-Mobile for 2004.
>> Since then it now looks (with the benefit of
>> hindsight) like a slow but inevitable denouement,
>> like watching a solo inexorably reeled in by
>> the bunch. Bob Schwartz started saying a few years
>> ago that Jan had made himself irrelevant, and I
>> thought he wasn't necessarily right, but he was.
>> The farce of last year was the final indignity, but
>> even there Jan was Rosencrantz to Basso's Hamlet.

>
> I do think it was a mistake for Jan to go back to T-Mobile, but I believe he did it
> becaue he was most comfortable there. He doesn't seem to want to venture much out of a
> certain zone and the decision not to go with CSC fits with that. Anyway, I think his
> most significant tactical blunder was not losing Rudy Pevenage. That guy seems to have
> done a poor job of keeping JU in shape over the off-season and keep him (more or less)
> coasting along on his laurels. Too bad.
>


You got that right

Jeeperz, you would have thought he would have more pride than to go
back to ride for that bunch of Wankerz

Kissing him off for some ******** that was none of their firking
business anyway

Sactimonious Kraut Kocksuckerz is what they are. But I suppose when
your country is under Occupation and with nothing but Paragraph 130
for a constitution, thats the kind of Asslicking Kommissars you get.

That stinking squad was a chemical factory on wheels paying off
zillions under the table to keep the lads' mouth shut so they could
look all lilly white like Jeesus and not the Whores they really are

Prolly still is for all Davey knows

--
Le vent à Dos
Davey Crockett [No 4Q to reply]
The News CNN and SKY won't show you
http://azurservers.com:8080
 
D

Donald Munro

Guest
Davey Crockett wrote:
> That stinking squad was a chemical factory on wheels paying off
> zillions under the table to keep the lads' mouth shut so they could
> look all lilly white like Jeesus and not the Whores they really are


Surely Die Mannschaft are just super-motivated.

Come to think of it, I wonder why its die and not der; I thought die was
supposed to be feminine. Perhaps the Germans grok irony, although I'm sure
Davey thinks it should be das mannschaft.
 
D

Davey Crockett

Guest
* Donald Munro <[email protected]> a écrit
> Davey Crockett wrote:
>> That stinking squad was a chemical factory on wheels paying off
>> zillions under the table to keep the lads' mouth shut so they could
>> look all lilly white like Jeesus and not the Whores they really are

>
> Surely Die Mannschaft are just super-motivated.
>
> Come to think of it, I wonder why its die and not der; I thought die was
> supposed to be feminine. Perhaps the Germans grok irony, although I'm sure
> Davey thinks it should be das mannschaft.
>


Davey's Boycotting all things German until Good German Patriots rise
up and pitch out the Asslickerz like Merkel and let Pacifists like
Ernst Zundel out of the Prison the Occupation Powers Kangaroo Kourt
sent him to

--
Le vent à Dos
Davey Crockett [No 4Q to reply]
The News CNN and SKY won't show you
http://azurservers.com:8080
 
K

Keith

Guest
>> Ullrich has been an afterthought for a while now.
>> Many of us thought otherwise, but we were fooling
>> ourselves. In retrospect, his last significant
>> tactical blunder was returning to T-Mobile for 2004.
>> Since then it now looks (with the benefit of
>> hindsight) like a slow but inevitable denouement,
>> like watching a solo inexorably reeled in by
>> the bunch. Bob Schwartz started saying a few years
>> ago that Jan had made himself irrelevant, and I
>> thought he wasn't necessarily right, but he was.
>> The farce of last year was the final indignity, but
>> even there Jan was Rosencrantz to Basso's Hamlet.

>
> I do think it was a mistake for Jan to go back to T-Mobile, but I believe he did it
>becaue he was most comfortable there. He doesn't seem to want to venture much out of a
>certain zone and the decision not to go with CSC fits with that. Anyway, I think his
>most significant tactical blunder was not losing Rudy Pevenage. That guy seems to have
>done a poor job of keeping JU in shape over the off-season and keep him (more or less)
>coasting along on his laurels. Too bad.


Yes that Pevenage relationship is a big mystery. Has the fallout
between Godefrot and Pevenage ever been documented ? If memory servers
they were all chummy up to 1996 and likely 1997, heck maybe even 2002
when Ullrich got fired. Is it that Godefrot knew that Pevenage was
"overdoing it" in the doping area ?
 
H

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Keith <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Yes that Pevenage relationship is a big mystery. Has the fallout
> between Godefrot and Pevenage ever been documented ? If memory servers
> they were all chummy up to 1996 and likely 1997, heck maybe even 2002
> when Ullrich got fired. Is it that Godefrot knew that Pevenage was
> "overdoing it" in the doping area ?


Off the top of my head, I'd say that the first (public) inkling of trouble between
WG and RP was in about '99. I don't think the main source of friction was anything to
do with "overdoing it" wrt dope. I'd say that it had a lot to do with RP not turning
up with the star of the team in shape at the beginning of the season (I'm not saying
that they ever expected Jan to seriously race in March, but that they didn't expect to
find that he had no base to speak of).

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
 
K

Keith

Guest
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:55:52 -0800, Howard Kveck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Keith <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>> Yes that Pevenage relationship is a big mystery. Has the fallout
>> between Godefrot and Pevenage ever been documented ? If memory servers
>> they were all chummy up to 1996 and likely 1997, heck maybe even 2002
>> when Ullrich got fired. Is it that Godefrot knew that Pevenage was
>> "overdoing it" in the doping area ?

>
> Off the top of my head, I'd say that the first (public) inkling of trouble between
>WG and RP was in about '99. I don't think the main source of friction was anything to
>do with "overdoing it" wrt dope. I'd say that it had a lot to do with RP not turning
>up with the star of the team in shape at the beginning of the season (I'm not saying
>that they ever expected Jan to seriously race in March, but that they didn't expect to
>find that he had no base to speak of).


Could be, but then Ulle was fed up with cycling in 1999, so I'm not
sure RP was at fault. Still, I wonder why they didn't want RP back on
the team in 2004, wouldn't "bad influence" have been an issue at that
time ?

Anyone know when RP became Ulle's mentor ?

On a related matter, an interesting article here in French
http://www.passionveloblog.com/article-5808813.html

They have a lot of info about Ulle since the 2006 TDF earthquake that
I don't remember reading elsewhere, not sure what their sources are
though, especially for his purported comments about Disco and not
getting the gig because he no longer had a license, seems odd.
 

Similar threads