Tour de France

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by essendon93, May 7, 2005.

  1. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Messages:
    399
    Likes Received:
    0
    Nice work SBS! :D :D

    Looks like I'll have to stock up on the 5hr tapes.

    SBS TV will expand its coverage of the world's most famous bike race - the TOUR DE FRANCE - with every stage of the 2005 event covered LIVE, plus a daily half hour highlights package every evening.

    Beginning with Stage 1 on July 2 and culminating on the Champs-Elysee in the early hours of July 25, cycling fans will be able to watch each and every stage in full.
     
    Tags:


  2. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Messages:
    757
    Likes Received:
    0
    That's why I'm taking the time off. Even if I tape it, I still have to find the time to watch the tapes.
    Have to make sure I keep the riding hours up!
     
  3. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 15:07:40 +1000, aeek
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >essendon93 Wrote:
    >> Nice work SBS! :D :D
    >>
    >> Looks like I'll have to stock up on the 5hr tapes.
    >>
    >> SBS TV will expand its coverage of the world's most famous bike race -
    >> the *TOUR DE FRANCE* - with every stage of the 2005 event covered
    >> *LIVE*, plus a daily half hour highlights package every evening.
    >>
    >> Beginning with Stage 1 on July 2 and culminating on the Champs-Elysee
    >> in the early hours of July 25, cycling fans will be able to watch each
    >> and every stage in full.

    >
    >That's why I'm taking the time off. Even if I tape it, I still have to
    >find the time to watch the tapes.
    >Have to make sure I keep the riding hours up!


    set up your spin trainer in front of the TV.
     
  4. David Pascoe

    David Pascoe Guest

    On Sat, 7 May 2005 17:35:47 +1000, essendon93
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >SBS TV will expand its coverage of the world's most famous bike race -
    >the *TOUR DE FRANCE* - with every stage of the 2005 event covered
    >*LIVE*, plus a daily half hour highlights package every evening.


    Us on the west coast are still waiting to see if live means delayed, like it
    ususally does. Please don't insult us and make us watch it 2 hours delayed, give
    it to us live SBS !

    davidp.

    --
    David Pascoe, [email protected], Western Australia
     
  5. David Pascoe wrote:
    > On Sat, 7 May 2005 17:35:47 +1000, essendon93
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>SBS TV will expand its coverage of the world's most famous bike race -
    >>the *TOUR DE FRANCE* - with every stage of the 2005 event covered
    >>*LIVE*, plus a daily half hour highlights package every evening.

    >
    >
    > Us on the west coast are still waiting to see if live means delayed, like it
    > ususally does. Please don't insult us and make us watch it 2 hours delayed, give
    > it to us live SBS !
    >
    > davidp.
    >

    I don't expect the news to be good. In previous years, "live" has
    meant a two hour delay.

    I got around this by watching the stages at Bike Force in Fremantle.
    They had big screen set up in their "spin cycle" room adjacent to the
    cafe (which was open). There was some South African satellite channel
    that had it live. The ads were quite amusing too!

    Cheers,
    DEF.
     
  6. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 08:28:46 +0800, David Pascoe
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 7 May 2005 17:35:47 +1000, essendon93
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>SBS TV will expand its coverage of the world's most famous bike race -
    >>the *TOUR DE FRANCE* - with every stage of the 2005 event covered
    >>*LIVE*, plus a daily half hour highlights package every evening.

    >
    >Us on the west coast are still waiting to see if live means delayed, like it
    >ususally does. Please don't insult us and make us watch it 2 hours delayed, give
    >it to us live SBS !


    It will be delayed in WA/SA. SBS did explain why in bicycling
    Australia recently. Aparently, SBS isn't just for cyclists, and they
    have other shows that people like to watch too, go figure ...
    something about how it fits in to late night TV over east,
    but in the west it would chomp most of the primetime
    stuff.
     
  7. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    Messages:
    919
    Likes Received:
    1
    ha ha, i have a mate with a dodgy pay tv card!!

    live tour for me!

    i wonder if he will regret letting me know after a week of the tour? :):):)
     
  8. David Pascoe

    David Pascoe Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 11:36:27 +1000, Carl Brewer <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 May 2005 08:28:46 +0800, David Pascoe
    >It will be delayed in WA/SA. SBS did explain why in bicycling
    >Australia recently. Aparently, SBS isn't just for cyclists, and they
    >have other shows that people like to watch too, go figure ...
    >something about how it fits in to late night TV over east,
    >but in the west it would chomp most of the primetime
    >stuff.


    Their other choice is to chop the first 2 hours of the long stages - we could
    follow on the net, and then get it live once the broadcast time comes around.

    This might not work for short stages, but it would be better overall for us I
    reckon. Would require serious time and effort from SBS to do this properly - but
    we can ask can't we ?

    davidp.

    --
    David Pascoe, [email protected], Western Australia
     
  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Likes Received:
    0
    hey they are giving the TdF preference over (boooorrrriiinngg) the ashes telecast, which just shows how far this country has come!!!
     
  10. blah

    blah Guest

    SBS haven't to my knowledge ever said they'll show every minute of
    every stage - they've always (well, over the last few years) shown just
    the last couple of hours live. That's what I expect from their live
    coverage. Fine with me, of course; it's better than the half hour
    (minus their six minutes of ads after the show, minus their meaningless
    twaddle from Mike Tomalaris) we've been getting). Looking forward to it
    immensely and will buy a DVD/hard disc recorder for the occasion.
     
  11. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On 9 May 2005 21:44:06 -0700, "blah" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >SBS haven't to my knowledge ever said they'll show every minute of
    >every stage - they've always (well, over the last few years) shown just
    >the last couple of hours live. That's what I expect from their live
    >coverage. Fine with me, of course; it's better than the half hour
    >(minus their six minutes of ads after the show, minus their meaningless
    >twaddle from Mike Tomalaris) we've been getting). Looking forward to it
    >immensely and will buy a DVD/hard disc recorder for the occasion.


    Just a FYI, the reason they do that poxy (and it *is* poxy!) 30 min
    highligh padding is because the TdF organisers only give them
    about 13 miinutes of race footage for free. So, to use the free
    footage in a 30 minute slot, they pad it (and urg, it'd be better if
    they showed test patterns...) but that's why they do/did it. Will
    be interesting to see what happens this year.
     
  12. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    "blah" wrote in message ...
    > SBS haven't to my knowledge ever said they'll show every minute of
    > every stage - <snip>


    http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/

    The latest series of SBS Television's dedicated cycling program CYCLING CENTRAL has come and gone but in the meantime, SBS TV will
    expand its coverage of the world's most famous bike race - the TOUR DE FRANCE - with every stage of the 2005 event covered LIVE,
    plus a daily half hour highlights package every evening.

    Beginning with Stage 1 on July 2 and culminating on the Champs-Elysee in the early hours of July 25, cycling fans will be able to
    watch each and every stage in full.
    ....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Parbs
     
  13. blah

    blah Guest

    Parbs wrote:
    > "blah" wrote in message ...
    > > SBS haven't to my knowledge ever said they'll show every minute of
    > > every stage - <snip>

    >
    > http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/
    >
    > The latest series of SBS Television's dedicated cycling program

    CYCLING CENTRAL has come and gone but in the meantime, SBS TV will
    > expand its coverage of the world's most famous bike race - the TOUR

    DE FRANCE - with every stage of the 2005 event covered LIVE,
    > plus a daily half hour highlights package every evening.
    >
    > Beginning with Stage 1 on July 2 and culminating on the Champs-Elysee

    in the early hours of July 25, cycling fans will be able to
    > watch each and every stage in full.
    > ...
    >

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > Parbs



    Giddy up!
     
  14. pase

    pase New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Messages:
    80
    Likes Received:
    0
    i know they have said that coverage won't clash with the ashes but im still a bit skeptical about what will happen when they extend an innings or furlong or whatever they do in a cricket match.

    there will be a public outcry im sure if cricket gets chopped for cycling. personally i hope that arrogant australian team are convincingly beaten.

    at least then i will be in a positive mood watching cadel and mick rogers battle it out for yellow :)
     
  15. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Messages:
    399
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes but if that arrogant Aussie team pumps England in 3 days, you won't have to worry about the clashes ;)
     
  16. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Likes Received:
    0

    I wanna see as special guest, Frank Farina co-host with with that irrelevant fool they had on last year so they can continue their biffo :D:D:D

    F"did not, did too!"Dutch
     
  17. Dave A

    Dave A Guest

    I'm taking time off too; last two weeks in July.
    However I suspect I might "cheat" and record the entire broadcast each
    night and watch it in the morning. (I have the luxury of Harddisk
    video recorder).
    Nothing worse than watching ads or "padding" at 3am.

    During the Olympics I was normally able to watch 8 hours of recordings
    in about 45 minutes to an hour, however there will be a lot less
    "padding" in the TDF.
     
  18. pase

    pase New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Messages:
    80
    Likes Received:
    0
    lol @ farina vs. orsati

    something tells me sbs will find someone else to stay up late this year. andrew wasnt too popular last time. then again, i used to give a lot of shit to tomalaris and i'd say he's come a long way and done a lot of hard work with cycling central etc.
     
  19. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Messages:
    399
    Likes Received:
    0
    What time do the stages actually start (Aus time)?

    The SBS guide says coverage is 10.30pm-1.30am. Which means the coverage isn't every minute.
     
  20. kyra

    kyra New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    Messages:
    70
    Likes Received:
    0
    Is anybody actually going over for the Tour? I will be there for the last time trial in St Etienne and the last stage into Paris... if anybody else is going over, let me know.

    Bill
     
Loading...
Loading...