Tour de France

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Pas Souci, Jun 20, 2007.

1. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Whatever. ;)

2. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

The Chicken for Pois Rouge.
    Green jersey...I'm not so sure, but not necessarily the rider who wins most sprint stages, needs someone up there all the time and who'll make it over the Alps to Paris...Hushovd I think.
    White jersey...now I have no idea, perhaps Bernard Kohl?

3. Pas Souci

Pas Souci New Member

I think your spot on; now that he has co-leadership.

4. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Top 3: All Astana riders

Wonder how that will go down with ASO.

5. Pas Souci

Pas Souci New Member

Does McEwen still have it? Is he slowing down? He hasn't had as many wins as last year, so can he still win the green? I know he just won a stage in Suisse but look how the other guys are sprinting. Friere, Zabel (mr.consistent), Hushovd ect.

6. alibat

alibat New Member

I'm not even going to think about this until we know for certain who's starting. A lot can happen between now and July 7th, as we know from last year. Looks like we could have some big names kicked out before the start. From cycling news:

UCI goes after the "Men in Black"

The UCI has targeted "six or seven" top riders who are suspected of using doping products, by subjecting them to extra unannounced doping controls. Some of these riders have already produced "non-negative" results, according to Anne Gripper, director of the UCI's anti-doping program. "We have picked out six or seven riders who are considered high-risk cases because of their suspect behaviour and subsequent good performances in the Tour de France," she told the press agency Belga. Some of these riders "have already had three or four unannounced doping controls," although the UCI only requires one per rider per year.

Gripper said that "We have information that they train in strange places." The controllers refer to the riders as the "Men in Black", because they were neutral clothing on their training rides, rather than their team kit, which helps them avoid attention by the UCI controllers.

"Some of the results may well be announced before the start of the Tour de France," Gripper said. "Several abnormal results have already come in. We are busy with those results and not all of them are negative," she said, "but it will take time, because we have to respect the process, the analysis of the B samples, before we can make any announcements."

Any thoughts on who these might be anyone? Vino and Valverde are two that spring to mind.

7. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

I think Petacchi gave McEwen a big enough scare in the Giro for him to go back to the drawing board and find the 'eye of the tiger' again. He'll be the one to beat.

8. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

It is possible but they may be busy with some other issues in other sports pretty soon which will shift media attention away from cycling for a while.
    Either way Patch should not drink should not drink 3 six packs and then make predictions. :D

9. Pas Souci

Pas Souci New Member

Six or Seven? Vino, Sav, Maz, Kloden, Kessler & Kash. Howzat!;)
    Strange Places? Kazakhstan isn't that strange, is it?:D

10. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

If Vino, Kloden and Kessler go, along with the absence of Ulrich, Basso, Landis and Hamilton, I'm really going to struggle to watch the damn thing - yawn.

11. Andrew76

Andrew76 New Member

Petacchi is probably a better sprinter that Robbie at this point in time. Not sure if he plans to ride the TDF, but if he does he will pull out at the end of week 1 as per usual!

I think Robbie will still be the one to beat - he always finds that extra gear in July. Watch out for a few of the lesser known sprinters to pose the biggest challenge.

True Robbie has won only a handful of races this year, but he has rarely had the support of his (admittedly few in number) lead out men. Guys like Freddie and that younger Belgian rider that led him out last year when Freddie crashed out early in the race - Robbie has not ridden with those guys much this year, and whilst it might not be as fearsome as the Milram train, it does give Robbie a bit extra.

He will still win green!

12. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

Oscar Peirero? I know he got yellow from a breakaway but he held on during the following week, competed against Kloeden and Sastre etc on the climbs and TT.

13. patch70

patch70 New Member

Robbie only wins the Green every second year!

14. Trev_S

Trev_S New Member

15. Bikeridindude

Bikeridindude New Member

16. lucybears

lucybears New Member

Tour de France Competition

http://tour.cyclingcompetition.com/main.html

This Tour Competition edition has three separate competitions. The Main Competition, where you select one team for the whole Tour and where you select a daily startlist. The Stage Competition where you can select any rider for each stage from all participating riders. The Points Competition, where you choose a list of riders that you think will earn you the most points during the competition, based on several points systems.

Main Competition
    The Main Competition is a combination of strategic and tactical insight needed to select riders for every stage. You have to select your 25 riders before the deadline (see rules). For every stage you select 15 riders from those 25 that will race for you on that day.

Stage Competition
    The Stage Competition doesn't need much preparation. Every day you select 12 riders for the stage that day which you think will do well. You'll get a score for the stage every day. The best 15 scores will be used for the final classification, so you can afford to take a gamble or even miss a stage.

Points Competition
    A new competition, this Points Competition. You have to select 20 riders before the deadline (see rules). You don't have to do anything afterwards. Your riders can earn points during each stage, but also in the final classification. Extra incentives are added for intermediate sprints, mountain climbs and jerseys during each stage and the final results.

17. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

I think Robbie will win the green. He finds that bit extra for the tdf, and his main and in my opinion only threat ( boonen ) doesn't have the heart to finish the race ( if he even contends ). As for yellow well thats gona be tough to pick, I'dlike cadel but maybe kleoden, Vino or Sastre are a chance or even a suprise pack, who knows, I only hope it'sa close drug free race.

18. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Special Coverage Tour de France 2007 at:
    http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id666.html

The rookies of the 2007 Tour de France at:
    http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id666.html

This years Tour de France rookies: Geraint Thomas at:
    http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id695.html

Tour de France 2007 stage by stage (map & results):
    http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id674.html

Tour de France 2007 mountain profiles at:
    http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id673.html

Startlist at:
    http://www.cyclingstartlists.com/2007/07Jul/01Tour.htm

19. Pas Souci

Pas Souci New Member

Does anyone know what time the stages are being shown in Australia? Cheers:)

20. thunder

thunder New Member

10 to 11 pm it starts, depending on the stage and SBS programming. Will finish between 12.45 and 1.30 am

cheers
    chris