Tour de Georgia...

wilmar13

Nov 30, 2003
Anybody care, or f*ck em, they're all dopers? Just wondering if the lack of interest in actual road racing evidenced by no traffic about Flèche Wallonne or TdG (or any other race in the last umpteen weeks) is indicitive of peoples interest in professional cycling anymore...or if it is just this forum :confused:

Dead Star said:
this forum :D

Yeah, well I guess the answer is obvious. When I first got active here maybe a month or two ago, I swear there were posts from newbies asking about what to expect with thier first race, questions about certain local races, discussions on tactics, discussions on pro races, etc. You know the stuff you would expect in a forum called road racing. But now it is so one dimensional, but clearly what the members of this forum want and since a forum is by its very nature dynamically democratic...

i'm going to Georgia tomorrow to go see the race with my teammates. can't wait.

I'm a big proponent of getting accurate information on doping, however I do also enjoy talking about cycling. Thanks for starting this thread, wilmar.

I would really enjoy seeing a major stage race in Canada, along the lines of the Tour de Georgia. I think it's very exciting to see so many Euro teams, and also 4 American captains this year. I think the finale will be exciting; look for Julich and Armstrong, the two strongest Americans, to duel it out.

sooray02 said:
i'm going to Georgia tomorrow to go see the race with my teammates. can't wait.

Hey Owensboro, Lexington here. Let us know how it goes...

I hate to say it, but unless its Georgia or Georgia Tech football you're not going to get many people in this state to care about watching a sport. I mean we can't even sell out a Braves playoff game and don't get me started on the Hawks.

And a lot of the TdG is out in the sticks, where the riders are more likely to have beer cans thrown at them. Of course, I'll be out watching it on Sunday considering its finishing right in my backyard. Should be a nice afternoon.

Sooray02: If your going to be in town for more than a week then you'll want to check out the Athens Twilight Criterium next weekend. A great Crit race in a fun college town.

wilmar13 said:
Anybody care, or f*ck em, they're all dopers? Just wondering if the lack of interest in actual road racing evidenced by no traffic about Flèche Wallonne or TdG (or any other race in the last umpteen weeks) is indicitive of peoples interest in professional cycling anymore...or if it is just this forum :confused:

I would like to think that more people are actually out training more since the weather is better now and that leaves less time for cyber space.
I know that I am.

So who is taking the time trial today? Ligget said that the course is such that surely an American will win it... is this professional wrestling now?

Yeah, I would love to stick around for the Twilight Crit, but it's the finals week unfortunately. But I get to meet Tim Johnson in person in Georgia. I’ll be there until Sunday.

You guys should visit Philly for the National Championship race. I’ll also try to be there hopefully.

Have a good one everybody!

I'm psyched about the race, and have my velonews update screen on my computer to keep track of how it's going. Yesterday was awesome, I was hoping that they would let Tafi stay away, but when it came together I was pulling for LA to take the sprint. 3rd is good enough though.

I think there's going to be a lot of fireworks today in the TT. I would love to see LA take it so that he can show his form is coming along for the TdF, but it wouldn't bother me a bit to see Julich (or even Floyd) on the top step of the podium.

Wish I was in GA to see it in person.

As to why there are fewer posts on the forum about actual bike riding/ racing? There's probably 2 reasons:

1. It's summer and people aren't on the forums as much. Everyone is outside actually riding.

2. Most people are sick to death of people like Flyer that constantly hijack threads with his personal anti-cycling agenda. it makes it impossible to read this forum.

Keep the rubber side down! Go LA (or Floyd, or Bobby)

mjolnir2k said:
I'm psyched about the race, and have my velonews update screen on my computer to keep track of how it's going. Yesterday was awesome, I was hoping that they would let Tafi stay away, but when it came together I was pulling for LA to take the sprint. 3rd is good enough though.

I think there's going to be a lot of fireworks today in the TT. I would love to see LA take it so that he can show his form is coming along for the TdF, but it wouldn't bother me a bit to see Julich (or even Floyd) on the top step of the podium.

Wish I was in GA to see it in person.

As to why there are fewer posts on the forum about actual bike riding/ racing? There's probably 2 reasons:

1. It's summer and people aren't on the forums as much. Everyone is outside actually riding.

2. Most people are sick to death of people like Flyer that constantly hijack threads with his personal anti-cycling agenda. it makes it impossible to read this forum.

Keep the rubber side down! Go LA (or Floyd, or Bobby)
Landis just took the lead in the TT. Took my kid out on the Silver Comet trail yesterday and followed the race into and out of Rockmart. The crowds were great, considering the beautiful weather, kids are in school and most people have to work. Am heading to see the stage finsih in Dahlonega tomorrow and doing the ride round Baldy on Saturday (http://www.sabacycling.com/circlethebald.shtml) before the stage comes through. You guys from Owensboro should have a blast. Everyone needs to check out the ride on Saturday...it's a great way to spend the morning b4 the real deal comes through..

homeycheese said:
Landis just took the lead in the TT.
He won it. Way to go Floyd!!!

EDIT:
mjolnir2k said:
And that's where I'm going right now.....

L

I think it is quite clear now that Lance will not win the Tour de France this year, should I add ever again.

Wow. It'll take a while for this to sink in.
He didnt even make top 5.

hombredesubaru said:
I think it is quite clear now that Lance will not win the Tour de France this year, should I add ever again.

Wow. It'll take a while for this to sink in.
He didnt even make top 5.
Yeah, but what a way to go, get paid to race through the French countryside in front of millions of adoring fans, while millions more turn in to watch the commercials your new partner/sponsors sell to advertisers. Capitalism at its finest...

While he may not have made top 5 today, so what? Is he supposed to win everytime he races? He's going out on top and who knows, maybe he works to help the next star win like Hinault did. No wait, Lemond had to fight to earn that one...

Whatever. Maybe the rains will hold off tomorrow and Saturday and make for some exciting racing.

Dead Star said:
how come the TT finished a lot earlier than usual?

Because last year it was a two event day with a race in the AM and the ITT in the PM.

Personally, I'm glad to see Landis do so good, and I'm loving Julich's season. As far as Lance, it's still really early in the season. I don't see how someone could speculate on his chances at the TDF-clearly he's not riding like he was at Paris-Nice.

vl1016 said:
Personally, I'm glad to see Landis do so good, and I'm loving Julich's season. As far as Lance, it's still really early in the season. I don't see how someone could speculate on his chances at the TDF-clearly he's not riding like he was at Paris-Nice.

Cool, Menonite-boy from Central PA does good! I wonder how much of a factor the rain was for the latest riders?

wilmar13 said:
Cool, Menonite-boy from Central PA does good! I wonder how much of a factor the rain was for the latest riders?
I'd say it had to be a factor. The finish line announcer did mention that a couple of riders had trouble leaving the slippery starting chute; he said there was at least one fall. There were mostly light sprinkles at the finish line during the event, but rain did increase when the last riders were out on the course. I can't imagine the rain not slowing them down on the descent of Mt. Alto, which is hairy enough on dry roads. The announcer at the finish line even mentioned that he didn't think Lance would be taking any chances.