Tour de Greenwich



J

John Hearns

Guest
I'm starting to plan a fun day to coincide with the
last day of the Tour de France.

The idea is to have some fun events in and around the
SE London area. Teams of four will ride between the events.
Things I've thought of so far are:
Fastest round the Dome
Slow race (but I'd have to ban fixed wheels there!
How easy are track stands on non-fixed?)
King of the Hills in Greenwich Park.

Does anyone know what the TV schedules are for the
finish and highlights of the Tour that Sunday,
as the idea is to find a big screen to watch them on.

Ideas for fun stages welcome.
 
D

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Guest
>I'm starting to plan a fun day to coincide with the
>last day of the Tour de France.


Sounds a good idea.

Unicycle races
Obstacle course
If there's a decent slope about how about a freewheel - down the slope & then
see who freewheels the furthest up the other side


Cheers, helen s



--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
to get correct one remove fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*[email protected]$*a$o*l.c**$om$

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off--
 
F

Frank X

Guest
"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]
> >I'm starting to plan a fun day to coincide with the
>>last day of the Tour de France.

>
> Sounds a good idea.
>
> Unicycle races
> Obstacle course
> If there's a decent slope about how about a freewheel - down the slope &
> then
> see who freewheels the furthest up the other side
>


There is no other side.
 
C

Clive George

Guest
"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]
> I'm starting to plan a fun day to coincide with the
> last day of the Tour de France.

....
> Slow race (but I'd have to ban fixed wheels there!
> How easy are track stands on non-fixed?)


For a slow race, I reckon you're not allowed to stop (which think would also
forbid going backwards) - thus banning track stands. Fixed would be ok
though. Definition of stop? hmm - either wheel stopping? Requires careful
judging!

cheers,
clive
 
W

Wirral John

Guest
"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]
> > I'm starting to plan a fun day to coincide with the
> > last day of the Tour de France.

> ...
> > Slow race (but I'd have to ban fixed wheels there!
> > How easy are track stands on non-fixed?)

>
> For a slow race, I reckon you're not allowed to stop (which think would

also
> forbid going backwards) - thus banning track stands. Fixed would be ok
> though. Definition of stop? hmm - either wheel stopping? Requires careful
> judging!
>
> cheers,
> clive
>

Ooo, can I enter on my bent trike?

Only kidding, good luck with it all.

Cheers
John
 
D

Dave Kahn

Guest
John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Slow race (but I'd have to ban fixed wheels there!
> How easy are track stands on non-fixed?)


They are possible, especially if facing into the slope. I usually
manage not to roll more than about 2 or 3 feet even at a very long
traffic light. If the road is uphill or there's a decent camber I can
roll gently backwards and forwards more or less indefinitely.

Running the slow race on level ground and insisting that brakes are
disconnected might work.

--
Dave...
 
D

Danny Colyer

Guest
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers suggested:
> Unicycle races


If you want to run unicycle races, I'll publicise the event on
rec.sport.unicycling and the uk_unicyclists mailing list. It's probably
a bit late to get it into the UUU[1] newsletter.

I'd probably try to come along myself (especially if there's likely to
be hockey, perhaps it'd be worth contacting the Lunis[2] to see if
they're interested in organising anything). I'm not about to commit to
helping to organise anything, but I can always ask if there are any
local unicyclists who'd be willing to lend a hand.

[1] <URL:http://www.unicycle.org.uk/>
[2] I don't have contact details, but I can probably get them easily enough.

--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine
 
G

Gonzalez

Guest
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:55:51 +0100, John Hearns <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm starting to plan a fun day to coincide with the
>last day of the Tour de France.
>
>The idea is to have some fun events in and around the
>SE London area. Teams of four will ride between the events.
>Things I've thought of so far are:
>Fastest round the Dome
>Slow race (but I'd have to ban fixed wheels there!
> How easy are track stands on non-fixed?)
>King of the Hills in Greenwich Park.
>
>Does anyone know what the TV schedules are for the
>finish and highlights of the Tour that Sunday,
>as the idea is to find a big screen to watch them on.
>
>Ideas for fun stages welcome.


Stage 1: Cutty Sark to the Millennium Dome
Stage 2: Millennium Dome to Thames Barrier
Stage 3: Thames Barrier to Woolwich Ferry
Cross the Thames via the Ferry (free)
Stage 4: North Woolwich to The Royal Victoria Dock
Stage 5: The Royal Victoria Dock to Island Gardens
Cross the Thames via the foot tunnel.
Final Stage: From the bottom gates of Greenwich Park to the wooden
gates at the top of the hill.
 
T

Tim Hall

Guest
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:55:51 +0100, John Hearns <[email protected]>
wrote:


<snip>


>Ideas for fun stages welcome.



Tyre changing/puncture fixing.


Tim
--
For those who have trouble distinguishing, cynicsm, sarcasm, humour etc,
try mentally inserting smilies thoughout my post until it either
matches what you'd like to read, or what you'd expect me to write.

(Jon Senior urc)
 
J

John Hearns

Guest
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:42:37 +0100, Gonzalez wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:55:51 +0100, John Hearns <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm starting to plan a fun day to coincide with the
>>last day of the Tour de France.
>>
>>The idea is to have some fun events in and around the
>>SE London area. Teams of four will ride between the events.
>>Things I've thought of so far are:
>>Fastest round the Dome
>>Slow race (but I'd have to ban fixed wheels there!
>> How easy are track stands on non-fixed?)
>>King of the Hills in Greenwich Park.
>>
>>Does anyone know what the TV schedules are for the
>>finish and highlights of the Tour that Sunday,
>>as the idea is to find a big screen to watch them on.
>>
>>Ideas for fun stages welcome.

>
> Stage 1: Cutty Sark to the Millennium Dome


Sorry. I should have been a bit more clear here.
I realise massed start racing on the public roads is verboten.
I'm looking for fun things to do as stages.
The suggestion of disconnecting the brakes for a slow race is
excellent.
 
G

Graeme

Guest
[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> If the road is uphill or there's a decent camber I can
> roll gently backwards and forwards more or less indefinitely.
>


I used to be able to do the backwards bit by locking the front brake then
using my body weight to throw me and the bike backwards. I could never do
it for more than about 30-40 seconds though.

Graeme