Tour de Lesotho

I'm not sure of the gradients, but the race is known as "Africa's Alp d'Huez".

Good luck everyone! I'll be doing a 65km race on a motor racing track this Sunday - a place called Darley Moor - just like Kyalami but without all the hills - if there is a 10m difference between the highest and lowest point I'll be impressed.

Have a good one and DON'T WALK! Been there done that and the shame is too much to live through....

Hang tough - the descent from Blue Mountain to the finish is worth the climb.

Never, ever snigger at someone when they admit to have walked up Bushmen's, God Help Me or the Blue Mountain Pass. Now that I have been there, I can tell you that you have not tested your physical and mental endurance if you have not tried the Tour de Lesotho. Ou Kaapse and Wineberg are flat sections in the TdL, and I kid you not. If you are familiar with Hekpoort (Kormorant and NECSA), multiply that with 3, and then you have'nt even started climbing the three major climbs! Take a look at the route profile that Big-Mig posted earlier. You see that first little hill after the start, Ha Ralejoe (1911m)? That compares to Hekpoort! The suffering of the Argus earlier this year faded into oblivion going up Bushmen's Pass, so steep you drive a car up there in first gear.
It was exciting to line up with the pro's at the start. David George, Malcolm Lange, Nic White and all the other hot shots, all there and standing right next to them. Obviously they all dissapeared into the distance a few k's into the race.
The spectators were awesome. Man, do those Basotho's enjoy a show. I felt like a hero! The youngsters treat you like you are some super sportsman and cheer and encourage you as you pass them. Up those climbs they run alongside you and scream with enthusiasim. The people of Lesotho are extremely friendly and my arm was starting to hurt of all the waving and greeting. Another thing I found truly amazing is the courteousness of the drivers in Lesotho. They are extremely considerate and polite. Trucks and taxis pass you with more than enough space to do your cycling thing. And when they pass, they wave and hoot and pack out massive smiles. We can learn from them, we truly can.
All in all it was a fantastic event. Well organised, well run and well worth the effort. God willing I will return to the Mountain Kingdom next year, better prepared and hopefully much, much fitter. And next year, I promise to return with bags full of sweets for my fans...! ;)

Vo2,

Glad you enjoyed it - must agree with you!

TdL has the most to offer in terms of a personal challenge, pride in just finishing, enthusiastic spectators, scenery, personal attention at the start, finish etc, a nice trip out of the country and so much more.

When I head back to SA I'll definitely do it again. My fiance loved it and finished in 5 hours.

I bought the March/April issue of SA Cyling the other day. They had a write up about TDL. From what I gathered this a very tough and most people take the turn off for the 58km race after doing God-help-me-pass.

God help me pass is after the 58km turn off - Bushmans pass is the one just before the turn off.

I still felt like a hero after 58km - after Gold help me I was feeling ok and after Blue Mountai I felt like someone had been kicking me in the thighs.....

There's a downhill nice run in to the finish after Blue mountain - funny how it removes the painful memories everytime....

If the Argus and TdL were run on the same weekend, I'd choose the TdL without even thinking twice. Guys, book this event for next year. You cannot believe how much more it means than any other event you have participated in. The sense of accomplishment is un-believable.<br />Don't think twice. Make this the one event to do next year.<br /><br />Eldron, give my sincere congrats to your fiance. Well done!

Although I don't envy your suffering in the event, I do envy your achievments. I was supposed to participate but our "efficient" Home Affairs people couldn't get me a passport on time...

After reading all the postings on this forum, I'm convinced - this will be my priority event for 2003. That other event down in the Cape won't see my back next year if the TdL will still be hosted in April.

Well done to all those that completed the event. I look forward to getting some advice from you guys on this forum next year.

Big-Mig, start organising now already! It'll be ready by next year April, if you're lucky...  ;D

You bet !!! I've applied in March 2002 (mistake), so I should receive it before the 2003 event date.

And we complain about the organisation at our our race offices.... ???

VO2. Sounds awesome. Well done, mate! ;) As you say "Everyone has their limits" and I reckon that would be mine! :p Buuut, if I was only going for a finish, perhaps, maybe? What time does it get dark there? I'd need to be off the mountains before then ::)