Tour deLangkawi

nah i doubt it......It very early in the season, wait till july ;D

In the tdu lesser riders were handing out a kicking to alot of big names......comes down to who started training first i guess

It should be close. Hunter is about 2-4 min ahead of Munoz and Lanfranchi, which is roughly the time I would expect the strong climbers to gain on Hunter in the mountain stage.

Hunter 2nd in Stage 6! How much more punishment can this guy take? :eek:

I think stage 9 is the real tough one......he has almost one everything so far tho.

Could he be wining Hansie Cronje style?  ;D

It should be close. Hunter is about 2-4 min ahead of Munoz and Lanfranchi, which is roughly the time I would expect the strong climbers to gain on Hunter in the mountain stage.

I'm with you ploner. Munoz has got Marin on his team. Marin is a mountain goat. 8)

I'm with you ploner.  Munoz has got Marin on his team.  Marin is a mountain goat. 8)

Kam Po Wong is another one to watch, he's a very under rated rider. His GC chance are pretty much shot but he is bound to make some big names look ordinary on stage 9, alot can happen in 25 km of climbing (make up 5 mins? maybe)

Kam Po Wong is another one to watch, he's a very under rated rider.

I don't know much about him. Is he really that strong? Anyway, he's on my fantasy team for the TdL so I sure keep my fingers crossed for him.

It should be an exciting stage, as there are a number of climbers who'll try to make an impression. Mapei will have a tough time to keep the race under control.

I think stage 9 is the real tough one......he has almost one everything so far tho.

Could he be wining Hansie Cronje style?  ;D

Shouldn't that be loosing Hansie Cronje style ???

Wong Kam Po has been winning the Best Asian Rider title in the TdL. He also won the Tour of the Philippines (aka the Marlboro Tour) a few times. I think he will be turning pro sometime soon...too bad he is already a bit too old.

BTW, he is the 2nd best known athlete in Hong Kong.

I've never heard of a tobacco sponsored cycle race before. Kinda weird.

Yep, Marlboro was a major sponsor of the Tour of Luzon (or Tour of the Philippines) for several years. When they pulled out, the annual tour here stopped....so no more major (by local standards) bike races here.

Mild Seven also sponsors the Outdoor Quest..so tobacco sponsors in sporting events aren't rare. The Outdoor Quest has quite a lot of MTBing legs.

Hunter 3rd Stage 7!
South Africa have now moved up into 3rd position in the Team GC.

The South African team management are fuming after team manager Greame McCallum and Jeremy Maartens were thrown off the tour in the sixth stage of the Tour de Langkawi.

McCallum paced Maartens back to the bunch after he struck a cone and punctured both wheels and a race referee ludicrously disqualified them both.

In cycling its common practice to help a rider to the bunch when he punctures. When he loses the pace and then gets helped back it’s another story.

Usually a manager is warned on the road, but the race referee’s radio wasn’t working in this instance and McCallum couldn’t hear the warnings. The SA team aren’t about to leave the situation there and SA’s head manager, Bart Harmse, has vowed to take things up with the race organisers.

“Jeremy is an integral part of the team and has done unbelievable work as a domestique. He was also going to play a major part in the Genting climbing stage,” he said.

The feeling in the camp is that they are being punished by the organisers for allegedly working with Mapei-Quickstep in the previous stage in which Robert Hunter claimed his third stage victory.

Compared to some of the other “crimes” thus far in the tour, which include riders holding onto their team cars, the incident with Maartens deserved a lighter sentence.

It has happened on various occasions that riders have held onto vehicles in the tour without being punished. In the light of that the Maartens disqualification makes little sense.

Taken from Cyclelab website

A rather harsh reaction by the organizers. I feel a lighter sentence would have done.
Good to see that the team is still up there with David George in GC 8. and RSA 3rd in the team classification (in front of heavyweights like Acqua & sapone, Fakta or CA) - impressive performance.

Ploner, your prophetic words regarding Stage 9 have materialised. Hunter lost the lead in the mountains. Wonder what the tactics will be like for tomorrow? Hunter is down by 40 secs. What is there else to do but attack - attack -attack?

Can you post the results of that stage? I cant find them anywhere ???