Tour Down Under

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mouse Potato, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

Does anybody have any Tour Down Under tips or suggestions, such as:
    • good locations to view the stages from
    • nice places to stay/eat/hang out
    • where the teams might be found training before the event
    • tour companies that organise everything for busy (read: lazy!) people like me?
    I'd like to go next year, but the official web site doesn't really have that kind of info (and from past experience with travel centres I need a bit of direction before I let them confuse me :D).

Tags:

2. luke1972

luke1972 New Member

Hi,

The riders stay at the Hilton and a bunch ride leaves from the Hilton every morning. The pro's do not do this ride though. My cycling club is organising a trip next year. We are driving over from Melbourne in a bus and will ride through the hills in the mornings, follow the tour in the afternoons and head to the beach in the evenings. We will compete in the "Be Active Tour" fun ride with 1000 other riders before the start of stage 3. We are doing it for a minimal charge of $370.00 for 6 nights accomodation/transport. If you are interested in joining us you can email me at [email protected] if not I can give you some further advice on the Tour Down Under. Most tour companies charge $1500+ for accomodation packages staying at the Hilton. If you have the cash this is a good option as the riders stay there. However you get a bed and not much more for your cash.

See you in Adelaide!

3. petal666

petal666 New Member

The University of Queensland Cycling Club has a bunch which is heading down for it. We got group accomodation for $250 for 9 nights and $260 flights so it worked out pretty cheap. We will be riding out to the races most days. Bring your climbing legs if you want to ride to watch the stages. They are mostly up in the hills.

4. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

Bike, tour & beach... excellent plan! :D

Thanks for the info, luke1972, and for mentioning your club's trip. On one hand it would be cool to go with a bunch of cycling enthusiasts, but I think this year going separately would suit me better. I'm still a newbie (bought my first bike in May) and my cycling's not up to the level I'd want it to be for riding with serious cyclists. I'm also in Sydney, and have time-critical work commitments which mean I'll probably have to fly down to Adelaide on the morning of the 20th. (They would pick the most inconvenient week of the year, wouldn't they? :rolleyes:)

I saw the Hilton mentioned briefly as one of two accommodation offers on the TDU web site and thought it could be suitable, although I wondered if there were good alternatives that included being at least pointed in the right direction for viewing each stage and stuff like that, or whether it was better to organise things yourself instead of booking a tour package. None of my "real world" friends or relatives are any help about stuff like that!

From what you've said so far a Hilton accommodation package still sounds like a good option, and $1500 is OK when you're used to Sydney prices. But any further advice would be much appreciated! :)

5. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

Climbing legs? :eek:

Do you know where I can beg/buy/borrow/steal some?

[I'm still building up my cycling muscles. On the flat I'm fine -- was running out of gears within 6 weeks of getting the bike -- but I'm not much (or even a little bit) of a climber. Yet. ;)]

6. fondy2004

fondy2004 New Member

7. bigW

bigW New Member

I believe you can book yourself on a tour that rides the stages the race will follow, last year it was called the Break Away Tour. There are shorter/easier routes and different groups that go according to your fitness/speed.

8. luke1972

luke1972 New Member

It is called Club Tour and you get to watch the first and last stages (criteriums) in Adelaide (5 minutes from central Adelaide so you are not riding the stages), a BBQ and other stuff. Not sure how much it costs.

Legends night dinner with Sean Kelly etc $90.

The "Be Active Tour" is the "fun" ride of 150km before stage 3 of the Tour Down Under. $80 including jersey,food etc. You ride this stage in the morning before the pro's do in in the arvo.

Keep in mind that this year Adelaide was 48c when we were there. If you want to ride out to stages 2 to 5 be prepared for this possible heat. That is why this year my club is hiring a bus to take us to the stages.

9. fondy2004

fondy2004 New Member

Luke1972,

If I fly into Adelaide is the price still $370 or is it any less. Do I need to pay a deposit and if so should I just contact you on your email address to arrange a cheque. I know you have limited accommodation so I would like to get in early.

John

10. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

Ah well, I never claimed I was sane. ;)

11. luke1972

luke1972 New Member

Hi,

The price is $300 if you fly to Adelaide, you can contact me by email on [email protected]

Regards,
    Luke