Tour Downunder

chevo1412

Apr 16, 2004
Did anyone ride the Be Active stage of this years Tour Downunder? How was it? I'm hoping to ride it next year. 1800+ riders on the road at once would be a good experience - I think :)

chevo1412 said:
Did anyone ride the Be Active stage of this years Tour Downunder? How was it? I'm hoping to ride it next year. 1800+ riders on the road at once would be a good experience - I think :)

If you are a veteren rider (ie 35+ this year) why not consider coming to Tasmania for a great long weekend of racing and camaraderie. :)

See http://www.harvestcycle.com.au/

chevo1412 said:

$95.00 for a "fun ride", I did it but would probably not do it again. I paid my entry fee and got my jersey, only to find that half the field wore last years jersey (ie did not pay), 10% wore other jerseys (ie did not pay) and countless others gave a false name and took someones entry (read jersey, ie did not pay).

Food consisted of bananas, fruit cake and teddy bear biscuits, they ran out of powerade at the feed stations and water at the finish. There is only so many banana's I can handle. A chicken salad roll was hardly good value to finish the ride with either.

The level of support was heaps better last year (they had a fruit juice sponsor,baked potato etc at the finish), so unless it improves a lot I would give this event a miss next year.

On the plus it was a great atmosphere. I would implore the organisers to check ID next year though. I know of people who went to collect their jersey only to find that "John Smith had already registered"

luke1972 said:
$95.00 for a "fun ride", I did it but would probably not do it again. I paid my entry fee and got my jersey, only to find that half the field wore last years jersey (ie did not pay), 10% wore other jerseys (ie did not pay) and countless others gave a false name and took someones entry (read jersey, ie did not pay).

Food consisted of bananas, fruit cake and teddy bear biscuits, they ran out of powerade at the feed stations and water at the finish. There is only so many banana's I can handle. A chicken salad roll was hardly good value to finish the ride with either.

The level of support was heaps better last year (they had a fruit juice sponsor,baked potato etc at the finish), so unless it improves a lot I would give this event a miss next year.

On the plus it was a great atmosphere. I would implore the organisers to check ID next year though. I know of people who went to collect their jersey only to find that "John Smith had already registered"

Gee all that sounds a bit suss. Have you contacted the organisers? If so, did they respond? It will only take a few bad experiences for the word to get around and that will be the end of it. I think the idea is pretty good but I agree the organisation needs to slick and fair to everyone. I might wait now and maybe go to Tasmania instead and see if next years Adelaide ride improves.

chevo1412 said:
That sounds great too Spider - another event to consider. Has it been held before? - pardon my ignorance if so :)

No, this is the first time for the event. A lot of planning has gone into it and all the courses are part of our regular racing routes. ;)

The Southern Tas Vets put on really well organised events every Sunday. They are a great bunch to ride with (guys and girls). Some of the Div 1 riders are world class in vet cycling. So I am confident the event will be a real challenge and heaps of fun (maybe some pain as well). :eek:

chevo1412 said:
Gee all that sounds a bit suss. Have you contacted the organisers? If so, did they respond? It will only take a few bad experiences for the word to get around and that will be the end of it. I think the idea is pretty good but I agree the organisation needs to slick and fair to everyone. I might wait now and maybe go to Tasmania instead and see if next years Adelaide ride improves.

No, I did not contact the organiser as I got my jersey and was able to ride in it. I am sure that all the people that had their jersey "stolen" would have contacted the organisers and that they will be making appropriate changes to the event next year.

Last years Victor Harbour stage fun ride was great, so I would wait and see where next years stage is. (This year made it difficult as it started and finished in different places).

I have ridden the past 2 years and found this years better organised than the Victor stage. I have though only ridden the shorter distances, ie 74km at Victor and 100km this year, but had no problems at all with the jersey, food or drink. I saw a few riders with the "non standard jersey' but I think the figure of 10% is a little high, at least for the people that rode from Williamstown. I saw ~15-20 out of 700 or so.

It was a very warm ride, the temp hit ~34-35 degrees into a strong northerly which would have increased water and powerade consumption by 2 fold (it was ~18 to 22 degrees for the Victor stage) and they had water/powerade/banana/cake rest stops every 25km.

I don't mind paying $95 for this experience, it is fun and a real buzz to ride in a bunch of ~700 + the crowds on the side of the road cheering you on.