Tour Easy / GRR vs. Rans V2 / V2 Formula

Jgmz0

Guest
I'm in the market for a LWB. I have no problems with higher BB of the Rans. Given the same "engine"
which one of these bikes is considered a higher performace bike and why. Speed, climbing,
etc.......any thoughts on this? Thanks, John Gomez

Jgmz0 wrote:

> I'm in the market for a LWB. I have no problems with higher BB of the Rans. Given the same
> "engine" which one of these bikes is considered a higher performace bike and why. Speed, climbing,
> etc.......any thoughts on this?

If you are an Easy Racers owner, an Easy Racer is faster; while if you are a RANS (not "Rans")
owner, a RANS is faster. ;)

The Easy Racers should have a slight advantage in rolling resistance and drivetrain friction, while
the RANS should be more aerodynamic due to the higher BB (both bikes unfaired).

A front fairing will be closer to the rider's body on an Easy Racer which may provide an aerodynamic
advantage if both bikes use only front fairings, while the aerodynamic advantage should return to
the RANS if a bodysock is used in conjunction with the fairing.

I strongly suspect in the real world, a rider will be fastest on the bike he/she finds most
comfortable. I would recommend test riding both and buying the one that you like better.

Anyone looking for a high performance LWB bike should also consider the RANS Stratus and
Rotator Pursuit.

RANS by the way stands for Real Anal Nazi Spellers. ;o) It won the acronym contest many threads ago.

M.

Mikael Seierup wrote:

> RANS by the way stands for Real Anal Nazi Spellers. ;o) It won the acronym contest many
> threads ago.

Some other suggestions have been made in the past on this NG (note that these are not of my
creation):

Reckless Abandon Not Stupidity. Maybe Rebellion Anarchy Necromancy Satanism Rebelling Against Normal
Society? I like Ride At Nerve-wracking Speed Real Athlete No Steroids. Ride Away No Stopping. Really
Annoyed Nobody's Staring. Randy's A Nuclear Scientist. Rectal Area Now Subsiding. Recline Against
Nice Seat: Riding And Not Sore! Racing Against Numb Scrotums Really Annoying Newsgroup Simpleton
Ride And Never Stop Relax And Nod Slowly Rest All Nerve Synapses Removing All Neither Soreness
Riding And Not Sore Ranting About Nothing Significant

So, how does the Rotator Pursuit compare? re: speed and hill climbing??? Any Pursuit fans wish to
share their data? Lon

LA <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> So, how does the Rotator Pursuit compare? re: speed and hill climbing??? Any Pursuit fans wish to
> share their data? Lon
>

> > Anyone looking for a high performance LWB bike should also consider the RANS Stratus and Rotator
> > Pursuit.
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Lon,

I have a friend who swears up and down that the Rotator Persuit is the fastest bicycle he has ever
ridden in his life. He won't buy it because he feels it's too low for his comfort level in traffic.
Yet there is a certain lady in our newsgroup who buys recumbents like they're going out of style who
found it not fast enough and a poor climber. Lesson learned here is that what may seem like a
perfect bike for one, may not be for the next. Differences in physiques, conditioning, age, etc.
will produce different results with the same identical bike. It's best if possible, to ride the bike
in question and reach your own conclusions.

Have fun!

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

LA <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> So, how does the Rotator Pursuit compare? re: speed and hill climbing??? Any Pursuit fans wish to
> share their data? Lon
>

> > Anyone looking for a high performance LWB bike should also consider the RANS Stratus and Rotator
> > Pursuit.
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Lon: I have only tested the Pursuit so can't answer specifically. However, I use a Rotator Tiger as
a commuter bike. Both of them share the mid-drive set up (unless the Pursuit you are looking at is a
dual 700c one, which I have only seen with the standard chainring, rear cog configuration). I can
tell you from my experience with the mid-drive that it makes climbing very swift because of the
availability of a number of gears in short incremental spaces that I find it easier to keep up my
cadence while climbing. And it also uses straight drive side chain paths which I also find
preferable. I understand from other posters that the Pursuit may have other problems, but after
riding bents for six years and testing all kinds of recumbents, I have been impressed by this
drivetrain and wonder why it hasn't been used by other companies. I feel it is a much nicer option
than a drive-side idler which is prevalent on high bottom bracket bikes.

Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

"LA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> So, how does the Rotator Pursuit compare? re: speed and hill climbing???
Any
> Pursuit fans wish to share their data? Lon

What I think makes the Pursuit unique is the combination of speed and comfort. With the variety of
different wheel and seat sizes available, the Pursuit can be tailored to suit the buyer's
requirements. Want your head to be higher in traffic? - choose a 26" or 700mm rear wheel and a tall
seat. Want to go the quazi-low racer route? - choose 406mm wheels and a low seat. Even the "low"
version gives you a better view of traffic than the low racers.

The mid-drive transmission on the small rear wheel version provides a huge range of gearing and is
so well dialed in by now that I don't see why anyone would want any other type of shifting.

I can't give a valid comparison about the climbing, since I can't climb respectably on anything.

The Pursuit with a good front fairing and tailbox should be at least as fast as a body-socked Gold
Rush, without the hassle of lycra (that should ignite a few flames).

Len Thunberg

In article <[email protected]>, LA <[email protected]> wrote:

> So, how does the Rotator Pursuit compare? re: speed and hill climbing??? Any Pursuit fans wish to
> share their data? Lon

I ride a steel 20x20 Pursuit. It's by far the most comfortable recumbent I've ridden, with a great
seat, good geometry (for me, at least), and a supple ride. The middrive system is the best
drivetrain in the industry, giving a huge gearing range with no large jumps.

The bike is fast. With its small wheels and upright seating position it may not be quite as fast as
the latest crop of low racers and high racers, but it can hold its own. If you really need the
speed, add a fairing and you'll really move.

I don't think the bike climbs as well as the high racers - when I'm riding with Bacchettas I can
keep up on the flats but not on the uphills. Part of that is the weight. Spend the $$ for TI and it
may climb with the high racers.

Some claim the bike doesn't handle well. It took me a few miles to get used to its combination of
low center of gravity and long wheelbase, but now I really appreciate its stability and its handling
at speed. It's a blast to ride.

I haven't ridden a big-wheel Pursuit. Looks fast but I wonder how practical it would be with
its length.

I think the Pursuit is a great bike. As with any bent, try before buy.

Bill Hole Rotator Pursuit BikeE E2

--
Bill Hole [email protected]

I own and ride a faired Ti-Pursuit, a Vision Sabre R-64 (the 24" wheel version), an S&S coupled
Greenspeed GTS, and now a Bacchetta Aero. The Pursuit was the fastest bike I had ridden until the
Aero. I fly on the flats on the Pursuit, but nothing climbs like the Aero. Well my Spectrum Custom
titanium upright does, but it's not as comfy. in article
[email protected], Bill Hole at [email protected] wrote on
7/9/03 10:58 AM: