Tour magazine's article on wheel truing (oct '07)

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
> ok...thanks, I think..but when I true a wheel, I check tension first
> unless I built it..and when I true it, I tighten/loosen..unless it has
> bigger problems like out of round, low or high tension, outta
> dish..'truing' is like building, just takes less time, generally.

Hey, get back on topic! What do you suggest for Gene's rim when it gets
hit by an asteroid?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
>>> Qui si parla writes on road damage-

>> datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> torqueing one side only? just for arguement: say you torque one side
>>> to eliminate damage, correcting to a true state.
>>> but given the math reality coming into play AS the wheel trues up
>>> you and wheel are back in the balance correction topo area.
>>> AHA!
>>> BACK TO SQUARE 167
>>> the unbalanced correction for hypothetical example only could have
>>> been (my english suffers here in this transient state) a set of
>>> unbalanced corrections made slighlty less so by going down and
>>> upstream of the now slightly less unbalanced corrections into two
>>> groups of balancinbg corrections spread out over several more spokes
>>> than the on the bend corrections.
>>> This ploy leads to what? a balanced correction state.
>>> AS 'X' represents torque at bend, 'Y' represents balancing torque.
>>>
>>> unbalanced method XXXXX
>>>
>>> balanced method YYYYYYYYYYYYYY XX YYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>>
>>> Chicxulub method
>>>
>>> Beecaws this direction is in the real time math direction, it is best
>>> trying to go that way. I assume the author comes from this level of
>>> experince
>>>
>>> http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:3Hy8eoFQgj0J:nicholnl.wcp.muohio...
>>>
>>> unbalanced correction in progress:::::
>>> torqueing one side when dishing the rear, bringing the rim over right
>>> to left, is unbalanced in group 3. In group 2, one side torque or
>>> unbalanced torque moves toward using the dishing opportunity to move
>>> toward balance by pre planning or staging torque levels near the last
>>> torque increase levels. Or that's where I'm at at at this stage: work
>>> in progress.
>>> (I get rims from a unamed supplier that are really screwed up-there
>>> are retarded malicious shippers, mostly bad tempered ignorant
>>> Irishmen)

> Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
>> ok...thanks, I think..but when I true a wheel, I check tension first
>> unless I built it..and when I true it, I tighten/loosen..unless it has
>> bigger problems like out of round, low or high tension, outta
>> dish..'truing' is like building, just takes less time, generally.

> Hey, get back on topic! What do you suggest for Gene's rim when it gets
> hit by an asteroid?

just crank the spoke tension /way/ up! any fule knos that will make the
wheel stronger to resist impact!

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=7807

vOn 12 Oct 2007 17:44:35 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>I don't visualize what you believe damages a rim while road riding.
>You must either land hard on a flat surface to cause a flat spot or
>partially collapse the wheel laterally to cause a wow.

Yes, that. Exactly.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> Yes, that. Exactly.

Some riders may exclaim "Wow!".
Others use expletives
--

On Oct 13, 9:44 am, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Qui si parla writes on road damage-

> > datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> torqueing one side only? just for arguement: say you torque one side
> >> to eliminate damage, correcting to a true state.
> >> but given the math reality coming into play AS the wheel trues up
> >> you and wheel are back in the balance correction topo area.
> >> AHA!
> >> BACK TO SQUARE 167
> >> the unbalanced correction for hypothetical example only could have
> >> been (my english suffers here in this transient state) a set of
> >> unbalanced corrections made slighlty less so by going down and
> >> upstream of the now slightly less unbalanced corrections into two
> >> groups of balancinbg corrections spread out over several more spokes
> >> than the on the bend corrections.
> >> This ploy leads to what? a balanced correction state.
> >> AS 'X' represents torque at bend, 'Y' represents balancing torque.

> >> unbalanced method XXXXX

> >> balanced method YYYYYYYYYYYYYY XX YYYYYYYYYYYYY

> >> Chicxulub method

> >> Beecaws this direction is in the real time math direction, it is best
> >> trying to go that way. I assume the author comes from this level of
> >> experince

> >>http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:3Hy8eoFQgj0J:nicholnl.wcp.muohio...

> >> unbalanced correction in progress:::::
> >> torqueing one side when dishing the rear, bringing the rim over right
> >> to left, is unbalanced in group 3. In group 2, one side torque or
> >> unbalanced torque moves toward using the dishing opportunity to move
> >> toward balance by pre planning or staging torque levels near the last
> >> torque increase levels. Or that's where I'm at at at this stage: work
> >> in progress.
> >> (I get rims from a unamed supplier that are really screwed up-there
> >> are retarded malicious shippers, mostly bad tempered ignorant
> >> Irishmen)

> Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:
>
> > ok...thanks, I think..but when I true a wheel, I check tension first
> > unless I built it..and when I true it, I tighten/loosen..unless it has
> > bigger problems like out of round, low or high tension, outta
> > dish..'truing' is like building, just takes less time, generally.

> Hey, get back on topic! What do you suggest for Gene's rim when it gets
> hit by an asteroid?

"Plan 9 from Outer Space"?

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy."

Uncle Isaac

In article <[email protected]>,

Preparation-A.

--
Michael Press

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Oct 12, 12:44 pm, jobst.brandt griped:
>> someone writes:

> Why can't you get off that hobbyhorse?

If you have to ask...

On the other hand, Jobst Brandt is among the prime offenders (Frank
Krygowski and "Dear Carl") come to mind of using their email address as
their user name. Maybe they should consider changing their legal name to
match their email address?

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!