Tour Not Clean yet: at least one rider sample positive

The 2006 tour just gets better and better.

The racing is finished yet its getting more and more exciting.

Without fingering Landis in any way, my wife suggested the reason for his poor showing in stage 16 was because he didn't have the usual "help".

I'm sure there was more than one rider out there doping. Hope they all get caught and thrown out of cycling.

Testosterone is more likely to be taken by a sprinter (strength)? or someone recovering from injury. It doesn't help endurance athletes much.

cheapie said:
that doesn't say they think it's landis. they're saying that a rider tested positive after that stage, which was won by landis. aren't there a bunch of riders that get tested every day?
The stage winner, the yellow jersey, and a random rider I think.

It's looking more and more like it is Landis.

Bro Deal said:
The stage winner, the yellow jersey, and a random rider I think.

It's looking more and more like it is Landis.
i agree. however, look at the paragraph. the paper basically has no information so they wrote it to sound as sensational as possible without really giving a single bit of information about the positive test.

cheapie said:
that doesn't say they think it's landis. they're saying that a rider tested positive after that stage, which was won by landis. aren't there a bunch of riders that get tested every day?

You're right... it doesn't say that outright. Nonetheless it focuses attention on that stage, Landis' come-from-behind win, the extreme dissapointment of McQuaid, the withdrawal of Landis from the crit in the Netherlands, and the shadowy past of Phonak. It may not be written down, but they left enough dots for folks to wonder.

At any rate, it's more information than we had before I posted this... if it's true, we know the stage, and the substance.

cheapie said:
i agree. however, look at the paragraph. the paper basically has no information so they wrote it to sound as sensational as possible without really giving a single bit of information about the positive test.
Looked it up: The stage winner is tested. The yellow jersey holder is tested. And six to eight riders are selected at random.

So there is a 10.0 - 12.5% chance it is Landis. If Landis turned down 50K in start money at the last moment as Pablo_e says, then it looks pretty bad for Landis.

karlotta said:
You're right... it doesn't say that outright. Nonetheless it focuses attention on that stage, Landis' come-from-behind win, the extreme dissapointment of McQuaid, the withdrawal of Landis from the crit in the Netherlands, and the shadowy past of Phonak. It may not be written down, but they left enough dots for folks to wonder.

At any rate, it's more information than we had before I posted this... if it's true, we know the stage, and the substance.
agreed. but the author of the article doesn't even know who it is so it really doesn't matter who he focus' on does it. ;)

cheapie said:
exactly. why in the world would someone test positive for that? that's kind of obviously a no-no. and again, i've got my fingers crossed hoping that it's not him since the article doesn't really say that it is.
without sounding like a total meathead, i can volunteer some knowledge about testosterone doping.

there are tons of ways to get it into your body, which mostly involve injecting esterized testosterone suspended in oil intermuscularly. this is how bodybuilders/strength athletes will normally use it. the ester slows the breakdown so a steady stream so the body's test levels are spiked 24 hours a day (unestered testosterone breaks down extremely quickly (1/2 life is offically 1 day))

however there is another way which involves injecting pure testosterone suspended in water, or using plain test patches or creams, etc. to spike test levels for a few hours. this produces an anabolic/androgenic/feel good but more importantly for someone who wants to avoid detection, they can have spiked testosterone levels for a matter of hours instead of weeks.

i wonder if this rider was playing a timing game where he administered pure test where levels would normalize by testing time, but miscalculated.

SaintAndrew said:
without sounding like a total meathead, i can volunteer some knowledge about testosterone doping.

there are tons of ways to get it into your body, which mostly involve injecting esterized testosterone suspended in oil intermuscularly. this is how bodybuilders/strength athletes will normally use it. the ester slows the breakdown so a steady stream so the body's test levels are spiked 24 hours a day (unestered testosterone breaks down extremely quickly (1/2 life is offically 1 day))

however there is another way which involves injecting pure testosterone suspended in water, or using plain test patches or creams, etc. to spike test levels for a few hours. this produces an anabolic/androgenic/feel good but more importantly for someone who wants to avoid detection, they can have spiked testosterone levels for a matter of hours instead of weeks.

i wonder if this rider was playing a timing game where he administered pure test where levels would normalize by testing time, but miscalculated.
maybe that's why he drank so much water. tried to flush it out of his system.*

*warning - the above statement was made with zero knowledge about testosterone use so don't flame me!

cheapie said:
maybe that's why he drank so much water. tried to flush it out of his system.*

*warning - the above statement was made with zero knowledge about testosterone use so don't flame me!
lol i don't know either, but it could be a sign of a desperate man- good thinking, watson.

one thing's for sure, you def. wanna take a big **** before you **** for your drug test.

:D that's certainly a little bit of positive news. who knows tho'. if it's floyd, i may just start bawling. that would be like finding out that mother teresa cheated on her taxes or something :(

Bro Deal said:
I just found some new info. The national federation of the rider has been contacted. The USA federation has not been contacted.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060726/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_tour_de_france_doping_6

If the federations for France, Spain, Italy, and Belgium have also not been contacted then we are left with a small list of riders--especially if it is a "name" rider.

Good catch. I'd read this on the Bicycling forums and forgotten about it.

Bro Deal said:
I just found some new info. The national federation of the rider has been contacted. The USA federation has not been contacted.

If the federations for France, Spain, Italy, and Belgium have also not been contacted then we are left with a small list of riders--especially if it is a "name" rider.
If that is all true, what countries do we have left with "name" cyclists? Australia, Russia, Germany, Luxumburg? Three of those have riders in the Top 10 of GC, and the other has a "name" rider from this year's Tour. Any more?

Deli said:
If that is all true, what countries do we have left with "name" cyclists? Australia, Russia, Germany, Luxumburg? Three of those have riders in the Top 10 of GC, and the other has a "name" rider from this year's Tour. Any more?
I got it. It's Evans. Just like Tyson, the steroids are the reason for his high pitched voice. :D

Bro Deal said:
I got it. It's Evans. Just like Tyson, the steroids are the reason for his high pitched voice. :D
Careful, he may bite your ear off! ;)

Deli said:
Well, hold on a minute - what federation is going to admit that they've been contacted prior to the testing of the B sample? Of course they're going to say, nope, not us. There's no need to admit that one of their riders failed an A sample if the B comes back negative, and if it comes back positive then the rider's identity will be made public anyway. So take all of those "we haven't been contacted by the UCI" with a grain of salt.

Bro Deal said:

Well the US (or any federation for that matter) would pretty much have to say something along those lines until the B-sample has been approved. If it did say it had been contacted a whole wave of media attention would have been focused on the US federation and its riders. Would be pretty embarassing if the B-sample was subsequently found to be negative.