Tour of America - Insane!

Yep - crazy.

However, if they had a massive prize money pool - lets say for interests sake - $50 million USD, then I think we would see some very interesting racing.

Rhubarb said:
Yep - crazy.

However, if they had a massive prize money pool - lets say for interests sake - $50 million USD, then I think we would see some very interesting racing.
"..very interesting doping." There, fixed that for you.

thoughtforfood said:
I visited a friend in AZ several years back in April, I had a portable CD player left in my car partially melt. I am guessing September isn't any more temprate.

This tour has to be a hoax, or conceived by people who have never raced a bicycle. Either way, I give it a 0.00009% chance of ever happening.
+1. That's 0% rounded to three decimal places.

I also think a Tour of America would be cool. However, as many have pointed out, this one here is just ridiculous to the max. Nearly every single stage is around 300k or more. Add to that riding in Nevada and Arizona in September and you've got pure insanity.
However, there is a lot of zig-zagging in this course (i.e. they go all the way to St. Louis and then back to NC). If they did more of a straight line, there may be a more reasonable opportunity there. Of course, the whole bit between about Ohio and Colorado would be a couple of days of some really boring television.

its cool imo i hope people open up to the sport. but lets face it 80% of americans dont give a ****. i think it would fail.

IEatRice4Dinner said:
its cool imo i hope people open up to the sport. but lets face it 80% of americans dont give a ****. i think it would fail.
I think people would take an intrest in an event like this... If not americans, then europeans...

cheapie said:
hahahaha! YES!!! center of the sun HOT! :D

The opportunity for carnage alone would create a huge buzz. Santa Fe at 7000', hot blazing sun, vast stages.....oh, the humanity.....

dumb idea. that route is way too long, and it would completely **** up a protour cyclists schedule. imagine trying to peak for that tour, france and another gt. suicide, and in no way feasible.

thoughtforfood said:
I visited a friend in AZ several years back in April, I had a portable CD player left in my car partially melt. I am guessing September isn't any more temprate.
If the heat were not bad enough:

PHOENIX - It sounds like science fiction but it's true: A killer amoeba living in lakes enters the body through the nose and attacks the brain where it feeds until you die.

Even though encounters with the microscopic bug are extraordinarily rare, it's killed six boys and young men this year. The spike in cases has health officials concerned, and they are predicting more cases in the future.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070928/ap_on_re_us/killer_amoeba;_ylt=AnZszeDeoAHOMF.B4bS3R9lH2ocA

:eek::eek::eek:

Crankyfeet said:
+1. On one hand the world of cycling is crying out to rid the sport of you-know-whats (don't want to trigger a spam post) and in the other hand they're proposing back to back stages like these. And isn't it pretty hot in September in Arizona and New Mexico?

Most of the NM route won't be outrageous as they've chosen a high altitude Enchantment. Santa Rosa might be a little toasty though.
The latter AZ from Williams to Tonopah, NV would be on the warm side at the lower altitudes and at times being within 30 miles of Death Valley. In central and southern Arizona, it's generally November before daytime football begins.

Off course the stage eleven team time trial from Columbus, GA to Montgomery, AL ending at the Indianapolis Motor Speed is fantastic navigation trick. :D

Bro Deal said:

PHOENIX - It sounds like science fiction but it's true: A killer amoeba living in lakes enters the body through the nose and attacks the brain where it feeds until you die.

Even though encounters with the microscopic bug are extraordinarily rare, it's killed six boys and young men this year. The spike in cases has health officials concerned, and they are predicting more cases in the future.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070928/ap_on_re_us/killer_amoeba;_ylt=AnZszeDeoAHOMF.B4bS3R9lH2ocA

Whoa. Icky.

Powerful Pete said:
Whoa. Icky.

I have heard about this and that several amoebas have started an expedition to find brains to eat on this forum.
They consider it a quest to rival that of the search for the Holy Grail or the lost continent of Atlantis.
Could take years. :D

Bro Deal said:

Yikes, that is crazy!!!

jhuskey said:
I have heard about this and that several amoebas have started an expedition to find brains to eat on this forum.
They consider it a quest to rival that of the search for the Holy Grail or the lost continent of Atlantis.

lol! :D :D :D

jhuskey said:
ROTFL. :D

jhuskey said:

:D

very very good!

jhuskey said:
Do you wonder if southern amoebas call em "chitlins" :confused:

Riding through AZ in Sept, I can just see those CF bike frames melt and pop one by one through the peloton. :D