Tour of Britain Spoilers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Martin Newstead, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. Unlike the Tour de France there has been little or no pattle on here about
    the Tour of Britain, do we not care about it ? Is it because except for
    t'internet we have no idea what is happening ? Since the end of the first
    day I've not looked to see what's going on.

    Tags:

  2. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Martin Newstead wrote:

    > Unlike the Tour de France there has been little or no pattle on here about
    > the Tour of Britain, do we not care about it ? Is it because except for
    > t'internet we have no idea what is happening ? Since the end of the first
    > day I've not looked to see what's going on.

    i've just come in from an absolutely fantastic day in London.
    The atmosphere and the crowds were terrific. We (myself, son and a
    daughter) were enthralled at the high speeds and excitement on the one
    mile Westminster circuit.

    The amateur pipe-opener was run off at a speed I've rarely seen before -
    and I've seen a lot of races. And there were a staggering 180 riders who
    were attacking from the gun, incredibly including Sean Yates taking time
    out from managing the CSC team in the pro event. What a man.

    We had a chat with National Champ Roger Hammond and got the autograph of
    our Olympic multi- medalist Bradley Wiggins whose legs astounded my
    daughter - "just like matchsticks".

    The main event was also run off at high speed with Bradley Wiggins away
    for the last 10 laps ... to find out what happened go to:
    http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/results/stage_5/stage_5_rstg.html

    What a day, total brilliance - and to cap everything my all-time hero
    Eddy Merckx was there to present the jerseys and to answer a few
    questions to the appreciative crowd.

    The Tour is back :)

    John B

  3. JohnB wrote:
    > Martin Newstead wrote:
    > What a day, total brilliance - and to cap everything my all-time hero
    > Eddy Merckx was there to present the jerseys and to answer a few
    > questions to the appreciative crowd.

    Bugger I want to get him to sign the photo of him & I. I remember the
    Westminster Grand Prix in 1989, I really enjoyed that. Sounds like you had a
    great day. I'm just miffed because I couldn't senak out of work t see the
    riders off from Leeds on Thursday.

  4. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Martin Newstead wrote:
    > JohnB wrote:
    >> Martin Newstead wrote:
    >> What a day, total brilliance - and to cap everything my all-time hero
    >> Eddy Merckx was there to present the jerseys and to answer a few
    >> questions to the appreciative crowd.

    > Bugger I want to get him to sign the photo of him & I. I remember the
    > Westminster Grand Prix in 1989, I really enjoyed that. Sounds like
    > you had a great day. I'm just miffed because I couldn't senak out of
    > work t see the riders off from Leeds on Thursday.

    I caught the end of the Newport stage on my way up to Manchester yesterday.
    Pretty good fun I thought. Nicole Cooke made an appearance and was
    interviewed, Bradley Wiggins was dagged (unwillingly) on to the podium for a
    photo call with the podium girls and a local dignitary -- he looked a bit
    embarrassed to tell the truth! Poor lad.

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    JohnB wrote:

    > What a day, total brilliance - and to cap everything my all-time hero
    > Eddy Merckx was there to present the jerseys and to answer a few
    > questions to the appreciative crowd.
    >
    > The Tour is back :)

    We went as well - stood near the top of Whitehall where is was in a bit
    of shade and breeze and had a wonderful time with the family watching
    from really up close.

    My only gripes were the commentary was not relayed on the course so you
    either stood in the hot crowds at the start/finish line to hear it or
    you did without.

    Got a great "Lycra Louts" photo from the parade lap. A phalanx of cycle
    police leading the peleton cycling straight through the red lights half
    way up Whitehall ;-)

    Tony

  6. gemarc

    gemarc New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    Talked to a friend of mine who went to see it at Hathersage near sheffield and he said there were loads of people lining the roads.

    I really hope it will be a success.

  7. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Martin Newstead wrote:
    >>
    >> Unlike the Tour de France there has been little or no pattle on here
    >> about
    >> the Tour of Britain, do we not care about it ? Is it because except for
    >> t'internet we have no idea what is happening ? Since the end of the first
    >> day I've not looked to see what's going on.

    > i've just come in from an absolutely fantastic day in London.
    > The atmosphere and the crowds were terrific. We (myself, son and a
    > daughter) were enthralled at the high speeds and excitement on the one
    > mile Westminster circuit.

    I knew it was on, but could not be bothered to keep hunting for info. Didn't
    know London was on today, probably a good thing as I went to the New Forest.
    And that was quite good fun, especially on such a nice day :)

    I'd have hated to have been cycling around Westminster. ;)

  8. "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > i've just come in from an absolutely fantastic day in London.
    > The atmosphere and the crowds were terrific. We (myself, son and a
    > daughter) were enthralled at the high speeds and excitement on the one
    > mile Westminster circuit.
    >
    > The amateur pipe-opener was run off at a speed I've rarely seen before -
    > and I've seen a lot of races. And there were a staggering 180 riders who
    > were attacking from the gun, incredibly including Sean Yates taking time
    > out from managing the CSC team in the pro event. What a man.

    I wuz there too, found it a really enjoyable event. The weather was great,
    the speeds amazing. There were a lot of people, but not so many that you
    couldn't wander around the circuit and find places to get right up against
    the barriers to watch them fly past. And fly past they did, in a blur of
    wheels and motion - at the corners they were so close you could have touched
    them. I also found it quite amazing just how much draft a bunch of cyclists
    whizzing by at speed makes - standing on the outside of one corner I could
    feel it as they went past.

    I only went for the main event, but now I know what it was like, would have
    liked to have seen the opener as well - but being billed as the 'Bob
    Chicken' GP, it just didn't quite manage to sound like anything interesting
    to me!

    The good thing about it being a criterium was the fact that you could keep
    seeing them, again and again as they went round. While I would have liked
    to have seen them on a hill stage, I guess on the stages you wait for ages,
    the peleton passes in a few seconds and you don't see them again after that!

    All in all a great event and I very much hope it becomes a permanent
    fixture. Oh for the TdF to have a stage in London too!

    Rich

  9. "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I only went for the main event, but now I know what it was like, would have
    > liked to have seen the opener as well - but being billed as the 'Bob
    > Chicken' GP

    Presumably Bob Chicken is/was something to do with Chicken & Sons,
    long-term importers of cycling stuff?

    David E. Belcher

  10. David E. Belcher wrote:
    > "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> I only went for the main event, but now I know what it was like,
    >> would have
    >> liked to have seen the opener as well - but being billed as the 'Bob
    >> Chicken' GP

    > Presumably Bob Chicken is/was something to do with Chicken & Sons,
    > long-term importers of cycling stuff?
    >
    > David E. Belcher

    R J Chicken, I supose the R is for Robert

  11. Jon Farley

    Jon Farley Guest

    > The good thing about it being a criterium was the fact that you could keep
    > seeing them, again and again as they went round. While I would have liked
    > to have seen them on a hill stage, I guess on the stages you wait for

    ages,
    > the peleton passes in a few seconds and you don't see them again after

    that!

    I went to Pendle Hill to watch the riders. Having puffed my way up I hoped
    they would be going relatively slowly, I expect they were for them but it
    was all over in a flash. I enjoyed it but would only go again as part of a
    longer ride - it did introduce me to parts of Lancashire that I haven't
    explored before. I wanted to go to the start in Leeds the next day but was
    back at work, grrrr!
    A few people watching the race were wondering why it wasn't staged over the
    bank holiday weekend so more people could see it.

    --

    Jon Farley