Tour of Britain stage 4 map (!!!)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dan Connelly, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Tags:

  2. Dan Connelly <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> writes:

    > I can't figure this out at all.... the profile is obvious
    > wrong:
    > http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/p_stage4.html
    >
    > Anyone know the real deal?
    >
    > Dan

    I dunno what you really need Dan. But the Tour of Britain is really a series
    of races in different locations rather then what we would normally consider a
    ``Tour`` in Stage Race parlance.

    Actually stage 4 is in Wales and the riders will make three laps of that
    circuit.

    Then the Circus moves to Westminster (London) for the final stage so the
    riders can have a look at the Houses of Parliament and smell the Thames River.

    I hope this is of some use to you.........

    --
    le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
    Six Day Site: http://sixday.741.com/

  3. On 09/02/2004 02:46 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Dan Connelly"
    <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:

    > I can't figure this out at all.... the profile is obvious
    > wrong:
    > http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/p_stage4.html

    How so?

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  4. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
    > On 09/02/2004 02:46 PM, in article
    > [email protected], "Dan Connelly"
    > <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:
    >

    >>I can't figure this out at all.... the profile is obvious
    >>wrong:
    >>http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/p_stage4.html

    > How so?

    1. The x-scale is highly nonlinear. Look at the relative interval between distance
    indicators, and compare to the difference in the indicated distances. For example,
    the distance between the bridge and the top of the climb, and the length of the shorter
    first lap relative to the other laps.
    2. The finish is supposed to be on TOP of the hill.

    Dan

  5. Owen Pope

    Owen Pope Guest

    Dan Connelly <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
    >> On 09/02/2004 02:46 PM, in article
    >> [email protected], "Dan
    >> Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I can't figure this out at all.... the profile is obvious
    >>>wrong:
    >>>http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/p_stage4.html

    >> How so?
    >>

    > 1. The x-scale is highly nonlinear. Look at the relative
    > interval between distance
    > indicators, and compare to the difference in the
    > indicated distances. For example, the distance between
    > the bridge and the top of the climb, and the length of
    > the shorter first lap relative to the other laps.
    > 2. The finish is supposed to be on TOP of the hill.

    Looks like they put the marker for the Celtic Manor Resort at
    the wrong place. Seems that it should be at the top of that
    little blip after the bridge.

    -Owen

  6. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Owen Pope wrote:
    > Dan Connelly <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in

    >>1. The x-scale is highly nonlinear. Look at the relative
    >>interval between distance
    >> indicators, and compare to the difference in the
    >> indicated distances. For example, the distance between
    >> the bridge and the top of the climb, and the length of
    >> the shorter first lap relative to the other laps.
    >>2. The finish is supposed to be on TOP of the hill.

    > Looks like they put the marker for the Celtic Manor Resort at
    > the wrong place. Seems that it should be at the top of that
    > little blip after the bridge.
    >

    > -Owen

    Owen's correct. I checked it with g3data, and that resolves the discrepency.
    It appears to gain 40 meters over 1.5 km, a bit shy of a 3% average grade....

    Dan